any opinions on the Rubicon "Unlimited"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 7th 05, 05:49 PM
twaldron

L.A. Jeepster wrote:
> "twaldron" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>I find it interesting that you degrade the 97+ XJ (my Sport is no more
>>plush than a Sport TJ) yet you want the creature comforts on the Unltd.
>>where they must seem more masculine to you somehow.

> I recall that being the year when weird things started happening with
> Jeep... the TJ replaced the YJ, leaf springs were abandoned for coils, and
> colors like "baby blue" became an option. (People stopped waving at each
> other that year, too.) Basically, Jeep was trying to appeal to the Honda
> CRV -driving crowd (i.e., girls) and forgetting about its rock crawling fan
> base. At least the Rubicon sales pitch attempts to reconnect with the old
> guard.
>
> Of course, I'm sure people felt the same way when the YJ replaced the CJ.
> One day we'll all be 4-wheeling in battery-powered trucks anyway.

I remember actively searching for a Jeep in late 80s...I guess it was
1987. The dealerships still had a scant few new CJ7s on the lots with
the new YJs all lined up. I remember looking at how low the YJ was in
comparison, and also the axles were wider. I did not like the
differences, so I understand your point.

I hesitated too long and the CJs disappeared. The last one was a plain
jane tan colored with a brown soft top CJ on the lot, but I passed
because I liked the Laredos. Ugh! It was a year or so later before I
found a beautiful bright red 1985 soft top CJ7 with 900 miles on it
(non-Laredo). Later, I eventually had a 90 YJ.

When the new TJ came out, it had the opposite affect on me. I saw a
vastly improved soft top, cool round CJ-like headlights and could not
get over how well the thing rode with the new coil suspension. I
consider the TJ an improvement over the YJ. I think the Rubicon is the
creme de la creme of the TJ line, and best out-of-the-box offroader Jeep
has ever made. Everyone has their own perspective. But what do I know? I
think the XJ Sport is about as spartan and non-girly as you can get in
an "SUV".....but it ain't a '71 Bronco!
tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)