Drug-sniffing dogs can be used at traffic stops, high court rules

Old January 29th 05, 02:40 AM
jaybird

"Paul" <Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend is a > wrote in
message . ..

> "jaybird" > wrote in message
>

>> > A K9 is no better than the word of an officer. It gives the officer

> the
>> > ability to search any one any time he likes. It's just another end

> run
>> > around our constitutional protections. And the courts don't make it
>> > right, they just approve it. And each year the 'reasonable' level

> of
>> > search gets higher. This year, anyone may be detained for a K9

> search.
>> > I'd love to see how you'd feel waiting at the side of a road in IL

> for a
>> > K9 unit because and only because you drove 61mph.

>> I'm not worried about it. And a K9 is much better than the word of an
>> officer. A dog's nose is much better than a human's.

> Unless you have found a way to teach the dog to speak English, there is
> no way to know what the dog is smelling. For all any one knows, it could
> be the left over residue from a hamburger that was in the car that the
> dog could be smelling.

That's pretty funny, and defense attorneys have tried using that line too,
to no avail. The dogs are trained to alert to the presence of narcotics,
not hamburgers. The dogs are trained only to give an alert on drugs,
nothing else. We're not talking about Fifi and Fido lying around your
house.

> What we do know is that the dog's actions are intrepreted by a person
> who has a vested interest in putting as many people in jail as possible,
> Constitution be damned. And AFAIC, that makes the interpretation
> suspect. Too bad that the idiots sitting on the benches from the local
> level right up to the 9 old Russell Wellers in the supreme court just go
> right along with it and wipe their asses with our Constitutional Rights.

I think it's more a matter of them being familiar with K9 practices more
than the average citizen does. People assume that because they have a dog
lying around the house that police dogs behave in the same manner. It is
true that all dogs have the same basic instincts, but the average house dog
doesn't get constant and consistent training like a police dog does.

--
---
jaybird

Old January 29th 05, 06:28 AM
Paul

"jaybird" > wrote in message

> That's pretty funny, and defense attorneys have tried using that line

too,
> to no avail.

And the only reason it is to no avail is that prosecutors will only
allow idiots on juries who believe whatever they and the cops say. Any
potential juror who remotely indicates capability of critical thought is
sent home.

> The dogs are trained to alert to the presence of narcotics,
> not hamburgers. The dogs are trained only to give an alert on drugs,
> nothing else. We're not talking about Fifi and Fido lying around your
> house.

Bull. The dog alerts to what ever the cop handling it wants you to think
that it is alerting to regardless of what the dog is smelling so that he
can intimidate you into giving up your constitutional rights.

> > What we do know is that the dog's actions are intrepreted by a

person
> > who has a vested interest in putting as many people in jail as

possible,
> > Constitution be damned. And AFAIC, that makes the interpretation
> > suspect. Too bad that the idiots sitting on the benches from the

local
> > level right up to the 9 old Russell Wellers in the supreme court

just go
> > right along with it and wipe their asses with our Constitutional

Rights.

> I think it's more a matter of them being familiar with K9 practices

more
> than the average citizen does. People assume that because they have a

dog
> lying around the house that police dogs behave in the same manner. It

is
> true that all dogs have the same basic instincts, but the average

house dog
> doesn't get constant and consistent training like a police dog does.

The dog is just a prop to railroad as many ignorant people as possible
into giving up their rights to the democan (or republocrat if that is
your thing) police state.

Old January 29th 05, 09:04 PM
Mike Z. Helm

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:58:17 GMT, Arif Khokar >

>Brent P wrote:
>
>[Infrared sensors]
>> Not to mention give an idea if the owner is
>> doing things like raising snakes or growing pot in the basement.

>Not to criticize your example, but since snakes are cold blooded
>animals, I don't think an infrared sensor would do much good

Heat lamps to keep them warm.
Old January 30th 05, 04:24 PM
jaybird

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>
>> I thought you were talking about the equipment where you can actually see
>> people inside the residence. My mistake. You could place a dog outside
>> of a residence for that, but residences have a higher expectation of
>> privacy than a vehicle.... different circumstances.

> I was just thinking about this concept of "expectation of privacy" concept
> used by the courts as a factor in various decisions they make. Courts
> often fail to consider common sense when determining one's expectation of
> privacy.
>
> I read an article today that stipulated that taking "upskirt" and "down
> blouse" pictures is not illegal in Washington state. The article stated
> that state courts ruled that it was not an illegal activity because people
> do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy beneath their clothes in
> public places ...

Yeah, I guess you could argue that either way. On one hand, it would be
lewd and outside the normal moral standards of society, and on the other
hand some clothing allows those views from a public place. That's a
difficult call to make.

--
---
jaybird

Old January 30th 05, 09:59 PM
jaybird

"Paul" <Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend is a > wrote in
message ...

> "jaybird" > wrote in message
>
>> That's pretty funny, and defense attorneys have tried using that line

> too,
>> to no avail.

> And the only reason it is to no avail is that prosecutors will only
> allow idiots on juries who believe whatever they and the cops say. Any
> potential juror who remotely indicates capability of critical thought is
> sent home.

I'm sure it seems that way especially if the guy on trial happened to be
carrying large amounts of narcotics in his vehicle, but the evidence is all
there.

>> The dogs are trained to alert to the presence of narcotics,
>> not hamburgers. The dogs are trained only to give an alert on drugs,
>> nothing else. We're not talking about Fifi and Fido lying around your
>> house.

> Bull. The dog alerts to what ever the cop handling it wants you to think
> that it is alerting to regardless of what the dog is smelling so that he
> can intimidate you into giving up your constitutional rights.

Nope, not the way it works. A dog can't certify if it just alerts to
anything the handler wants it to.

>> > What we do know is that the dog's actions are intrepreted by a

> person
>> > who has a vested interest in putting as many people in jail as

> possible,
>> > Constitution be damned. And AFAIC, that makes the interpretation
>> > suspect. Too bad that the idiots sitting on the benches from the

> local
>> > level right up to the 9 old Russell Wellers in the supreme court

> just go
>> > right along with it and wipe their asses with our Constitutional

> Rights.
>>
>> I think it's more a matter of them being familiar with K9 practices

> more
>> than the average citizen does. People assume that because they have a

> dog
>> lying around the house that police dogs behave in the same manner. It

> is
>> true that all dogs have the same basic instincts, but the average

> house dog
>> doesn't get constant and consistent training like a police dog does.

> The dog is just a prop to railroad as many ignorant people as possible
> into giving up their rights to the democan (or republocrat if that is
> your thing) police state.

Actually it's a tool for finding narcotics. I wouldn't want to search a
vehicle that has nothing illegal in it.

--
---
jaybird

Old January 31st 05, 01:57 AM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:59:40 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>> Bull. The dog alerts to what ever the cop handling it wants you to think
>>> that it is alerting to regardless of what the dog is smelling so that he
>>> can intimidate you into giving up your constitutional rights.

>>Nope, not the way it works. A dog can't certify if it just alerts to
>>anything the handler wants it to.

> Tell us more about the certification process. Specifically, what
> safeguards are in place to prevent a handler from simply simulating
> the desired results by only telling the dog to alert on the real drugs
> during the certification test?

Jaybird just expects us to trust anyone who has a badge.

Old January 31st 05, 02:35 AM
Michael

Garth Almgren wrote:
> Around 1/26/2005 6:38 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
>
>> Coast Guard stops would be border security,something that is within
>> the Constituion.Routine travel inside the US borders is another thing.

> Not in their eyes. Since water knows no borders (especially salt water),
> the Coasties can and do board any vessel they wish at any time.

Not exactly true.
US vessels can be boarded anywhere in the world, foreign vessels can
only be boarded in the EEZ.
Old January 31st 05, 06:28 AM
DTJ

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:02:16 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>vehicle because we have no expectation of privacy for the air coming from

Is there a mouse in your pocket?
Old January 31st 05, 06:29 AM
DTJ

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:13:34 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>Once again, you have incorrect information.

Once again you are a moron.

>outside a vehicle. The heat sensor was ruled unconstitutional because the
>equipment used to measure the heat signature penetrated the residence to
>measure inside, without a warrant.

Incorrect, the sensor does not penetrate anything, well, except for
maybe your skull.
Old January 31st 05, 05:24 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
jaybird > wrote:

>That's pretty funny, and defense attorneys have tried using that line too,
>to no avail. The dogs are trained to alert to the presence of narcotics,
>not hamburgers. The dogs are trained only to give an alert on drugs,
>nothing else. We're not talking about Fifi and Fido lying around your
>house.

And we have only the cops' word for this. They could be trained to
alert whenever the cop mutters "alert" under his breath.