My engineer neighbor's approach to oil change breaking in his truck ?

Old September 5th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Forrest

Default My engineer neighbor's approach to oil change breaking in his truck ?

A friend and neighbor, who is a retired engineer and has knowledge and
experience with things mechanical, including cars, told me just now
that he broke in his 1999 Ford 150 Lightning truck by changing the
original factory oil at 1000 miles and then again at 2500 and then at
5000 and has kept to 5K, with synthetic, for changes since.

I know that engines are machined to greater tolerances than those of
20 years ago, which then included a free dealer oil change at 500
miles to flush out the metal filings etc, but would you agree that it
makes sense to use a break in sequence, such as this, at this time,
with our new Toyota 4Runner - rather than the published approach,
which is to just do nothing until 5k miles and then change to
Synthetic, if I wished to ?

I don't mind the extra expense, even the cost of synthetic, and filter
changes, in exchange for any benefits that breaking in in a preferable
way would provide, if they so exist. It is possible that such a break
in sequence would be a bit too daunting or complex for non machine
minded consumers and Toyota, although it might so prefer it this way,
just leaves the change at 5K miles to simplify things.

Thanks,

Forrest

Old September 5th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_80_]

Forrest Wrote:
> A friend and neighbor, who is a retired engineer and has knowledge and
> experience with things mechanical, including cars, told me just now
> that he broke in his 1999 Ford 150 Lightning truck by changing the
> original factory oil at 1000 miles and then again at 2500 and then at
> 5000 and has kept to 5K, with synthetic, for changes since.
>
> I know that engines are machined to greater tolerances than those of
> 20 years ago, which then included a free dealer oil change at 500
> miles to flush out the metal filings etc, but would you agree that it
> makes sense to use a break in sequence, such as this, at this time,
> with our new Toyota 4Runner - rather than the published approach,
> which is to just do nothing until 5k miles and then change to
> Synthetic, if I wished to ?
>
> I don't mind the extra expense, even the cost of synthetic, and filter
> changes, in exchange for any benefits that breaking in in a preferable
> way would provide, if they so exist. It is possible that such a break
> in sequence would be a bit too daunting or complex for non machine
> minded consumers and Toyota, although it might so prefer it this way,
> just leaves the change at 5K miles to simplify things.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Forrest

An American built, supercharged screamer like that Lightning, I could
justify the extra cost/effort, just for piece of mind. The engine he
has is known for oil control problems with higher mileage in naturally
aspirated form, the supercharger's additional loading only exacerbates
the problem...so yeah, if it was me, no amount of caution would be too
much...with the standard Japanese worker bee engine, no need...just do
you oil changes when reccommended, and you'll be fine.

If you operate in normal conditions and do your service on time,
synthetic doesn't really have a lot of tangible benefits. it is nice,
however, to have some extra safety margin knowing that if you go over
interval for a service, it's ok, or if you overheat, the oil isn't
going to turn into plastic, etc...just depends on your comfort
level...I find semi-syn blends to be a great alternative. Flow nice in
the cold, comes out almost as clear as it went in, etc. Price is very
likeable...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 5th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_34_]

A lot of yes/no regarding use of synthetic oil, so it a hard call. But,
I would foolow your friend's thinking by changing oil and filter at 1K,
2.5K, and again at 5K. It not expensive [meaning the oil changes], and
they get rid of any flotsam and jetsam created by a new engine break-in
period.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

Old September 5th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Forrest" > wrote in message

> I know that engines are machined to greater tolerances than those of
> 20 years ago, which then included a free dealer oil change at 500
> miles to flush out the metal filings etc, but would you agree that it
> makes sense to use a break in sequence, such as this, at this time,
> with our new Toyota 4Runner - rather than the published approach,
> which is to just do nothing until 5k miles and then change to
> Synthetic, if I wished to ?

You wont get a consensus on this board when lubrication matters are the
topic.
We all have our habits and beliefs, and - no matter what anyone else says -
you
are pretty much on your own when it comes to oil change protocol.

I prefer to err on the side of over fastidiousness.

Old September 5th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_81_]

Knifeblade_03 Wrote:
> A lot of yes/no regarding use of synthetic oil, so it a hard call. But,
> I would foolow your friend's thinking by changing oil and filter at 1K,
> 2.5K, and again at 5K. It not expensive [meaning the oil changes], and
> they get rid of any flotsam and jetsam created by a new engine break-in
> period.

Used to be there was a lot. Now there's none...nothing an oil filter
can't deal with anyway. Back in the day, real fine finishing machining
wasn't fast enough for production vehicles, and the final finish was
achieved through friction, the main area being cylinder wall to ring
seating...and other direct contact areas like pushrod to rocker contact
and lifter/cam...

But the surface prep on parts now is so good, usually the parts'
surface is even better when new and unrun than it would be after a
run-in period...therefore, no debris generated...techniques for
controlling cleanliness of the assembly areas are also much improved...

Had a friend buy a Civic Si a couple of years ago, and he was wondering
the same thing, and was told by the service dept to run it normal for
500 miles and then drive it like you stole it..and go with the printed
reccommendations for oil change intervals...

74,000 miles of his daily abuse, and it still uses less than 1/2 quart
between changes, same as when it was new.

Old September 5th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Forrest wrote:
> A friend and neighbor, who is a retired engineer and has knowledge and
> experience with things mechanical, including cars, told me just now
> that he broke in his 1999 Ford 150 Lightning truck by changing the
> original factory oil at 1000 miles and then again at 2500 and then at
> 5000 and has kept to 5K, with synthetic, for changes since.

I think your friend did everything possible to insure that the engine
will have a long life. 5K increments for oil changes is reasonable.
Hopefully he is as punctual in flushing all the other fluids in the
vehicle.

> I know that engines are machined to greater tolerances than those of
> 20 years ago,

The tolerances are probably tighter if anything...

> which then included a free dealer oil change at 500
> miles to flush out the metal filings etc, but would you agree that it
> makes sense to use a break in sequence

Contamination from the manufacturing process hasn't disappeared.

, such as this, at this time,
> with our new Toyota 4Runner - rather than the published approach,
> which is to just do nothing until 5k miles and then change to
> Synthetic, if I wished to ?

It is probably worthwhile extra insurance that doesn't cost much over
the life of the car.

> I don't mind the extra expense, even the cost of synthetic, and filter
> changes, in exchange for any benefits that breaking in in a preferable
> way would provide, if they so exist. It is possible that such a break
> in sequence would be a bit too daunting or complex for non machine
> minded consumers and Toyota, although it might so prefer it this way,
> just leaves the change at 5K miles to simplify things.

Toyota like all car companies tries to reach a balance between cost of
maintenance and cost of repairs. The improved quality of lubricants
combined with notable improvements in engine technology have allowed
some car manufacturers to extend oil change schedules without having a
notable impact on engine wear. It is non unusual to see cars run for
300,000 miules with no major repairs. Thirty years ago 100,000 miles
was the benchmark.

The maintenance schedules are to some extent influenced by the widely
publicized cost-of-annual-maintenance data. Some car companies carry
extended maintenance schedules to what I would call an extreme to keep
those numbers down.

Good questions.

Old September 5th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Forrest wrote:

> A friend and neighbor, who is a retired engineer and has knowledge and
> experience with things mechanical, including cars, told me just now
> that he broke in his 1999 Ford 150 Lightning truck by changing the
> original factory oil at 1000 miles and then again at 2500 and then at
> 5000 and has kept to 5K, with synthetic, for changes since.
>
> I know that engines are machined to greater tolerances than those of
> 20 years ago,

Actually, they're not. Most of the critical engine clearance
specifications (piston-to-wall, ring gap, bearing clearnace) for a 1966
engine are essentially identical to those of a 2006 engine. What has
changed is twofold:

1) quality of OIL is vastly improved and continually improving.
2) consistency of assembly- IOW, its easier for a manufacturer to hit
the specifications right on the mark on EVERY engine that rolls off the
line these days.

For what its worth, though, I break in all new engines (whether just
purchased or a freshly rebuilt 1966 engine) pretty much exactly the way
your neighbor did. If its a truly freshly-assembled engine that I've put
together and has never been run at all before, I do the first oil change
after one *hour* of break-in time, believe it or not, to get all the
assembly lubricant and initial wear products out. Then 500 miles, then
1000, then 2500-3000, then normal oil changes. It may not be a
significant benefit, but it definitely cannot hurt. Given the amount of
visible metal in the oil that comes out of any freshly assembled engine
(including 2006 engines) I would AT LEAST change the filter after a few
hundred miles on any new car.

Old September 5th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

jeffcoslacker wrote:

> Knifeblade_03 Wrote:
>
>>A lot of yes/no regarding use of synthetic oil, so it a hard call. But,
>>I would foolow your friend's thinking by changing oil and filter at 1K,
>>2.5K, and again at 5K. It not expensive [meaning the oil changes], and
>>they get rid of any flotsam and jetsam created by a new engine break-in
>>period.

> Used to be there was a lot. Now there's none...

I haven't observed any difference in the past 40 years or so. Rings
seating will ALWAYS generate about the same amount of fluff, and if you
do NOT get that fluff, then the rings aren't seating as they need to and
the engine will be a chronic oil-burner. There should be minimal-to-no
material shed from bearings during breakin, none from a roller cam, and
only a slight amount from a slider cam. Its really the ring fluff that I
like to get out of the system. Yes, the filter catches it, but a
filter failure (they do happen!) can dump it all right back in. Better
safe than sorry.

nothing an oil filter
> can't deal with anyway. Back in the day, real fine finishing machining
> wasn't fast enough for production vehicles, and the final finish was
> achieved through friction, the main area being cylinder wall to ring
> seating...and other direct contact areas like pushrod to rocker contact
> and lifter/cam...

I think you grossly under-estimate the precision of older engines. A
rougher cylinder wall finish was specified with bare iron rings, yes,
but it was NOT expected to "finish itself" on breakin. That rougher
finish was just required for oil retention with bare iron rings, and
stayed there through the life of the engine. Chrome finished rings
require a much smoother surface, but the total amount of material shed
during breakin is basically the same.

> But the surface prep on parts now is so good, usually the parts'
> surface is even better when new and unrun than it would be after a
> run-in period...therefore, no debris generated...techniques for
> controlling cleanliness of the assembly areas are also much improved...
>
> Had a friend buy a Civic Si a couple of years ago, and he was wondering
> the same thing, and was told by the service dept to run it normal for
> 500 miles and then drive it like you stole it..and go with the printed
> reccommendations for oil change intervals...
>
> 74,000 miles of his daily abuse, and it still uses less than 1/2 quart
> between changes, same as when it was new.

Half a quart between changes is pretty excessive, especially for a
4-cylinder. My last "brand new" engine (1993 Chrysler 3.5L v6) burned
less than a few ounces (not measurable on the dipstick) between changes
from about 10,000 miles to 180,000 miles or so. Now at a little over
240,000 miles, its crept up to about a quart to a quart and a half every
7000 miles (the change interval with Mobil-1). Some of that is leakage
from valve cover and pan gaskets, though.

Old September 5th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_85_]

Steve Wrote:
> [...]

> > the same thing, and was told by the service dept to run it normal for
> > 500 miles and then drive it like you stole it..and go with the

> printed
> > reccommendations for oil change intervals...
> >
> > 74,000 miles of his daily abuse, and it still uses less than 1/2

> quart
> > between changes, same as when it was new.

> Half a quart between changes is pretty excessive, especially for a
> 4-cylinder. My last "brand new" engine (1993 Chrysler 3.5L v6) burned
> less than a few ounces (not measurable on the dipstick) between changes
> from about 10,000 miles to 180,000 miles or so. Now at a little over
> 240,000 miles, its crept up to about a quart to a quart and a half
> every
> 7000 miles (the change interval with Mobil-1). Some of that is leakage
> from valve cover and pan gaskets, though.

Why do I bother getting involved in oil threads:banghead:

Eveybody has their own opinion, experiences, and nobody ever changes
their mind based on what anybody says....:grinno:

For the record, if you aren't using over a quart every 1000 miles in a
modern engine, you can't even qualify for excessive oil usage under
most new car warrantees...less than half a quart in 5000 miles is well
within acceptable for any motor...especially a tweaky 4 cylinder that
gets wrung out to it's limits every time it's driven...

I don't recall seeing cylinder wall cross-hatching after an engine has
run more than a few thousend miles, but if you say so...

I don't doubt your expertise...just doesn't jive with my own and my
observations....and therein lies the futility of oil
threads....:grinyes:

Old September 5th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lefty

Won't hurt to follow the 'traditional' break in. 5000 miles between oil
changes is a bit too much for my liking, synthetic or not, but as has
been stated personal preference is just that . . . personal. That
being said, many 'aftermarket extended service warranties' will require
documentation of no more than 4000 mile oil change intervals. I like
the synthetic blends for price/performance value. I drive Fords so I
use Motorcraft oil and filters. The quality of the filter you use is
the most important variable you control. Factory filters are always a
good choice. For the most part avoid the 'Quickie Lube' brands of
filters along with Fram. NAPA Gold filters are manufactured by WIX and
are also a good choice. When I was involved with building professional
racing engines the norm for start up was to use a series of aircraft
screen filters in the oil return lines in addition to the normal
filtering arrangement. These engines were assembled in a 'clean'
environment with great care. The amount of 'trash' generated on initial
run in is astounding. First one I saw I thought the engine had a
serious malfunction. Doesn't take long for the trash to be filtered out
and the oil stream clears up. When you buy a car from the dealer and
run it out to the 7500 mile oil change you're gambling your filter has
enough capacity to hold all the trash without bypassing and running the
crap through your engine.