Buying advise

Old December 19th 04, 05:38 AM
Mike64Bug

Default Buying advise

I'm still looking for a companion for my '64 Bug. I've been looking at
a '55 semaphore on TheSamba. The owner freely admits that it doesn't
have its W decklid but there are other discrepancies that are telling me
that there's something else wrong as here as well. A close look at the interior
picture shows it has a shifter out of a late model bug (fat stalk with flat
top dark grey shift knob), missing or altered hood release knob, aftermarket
radio (cut dash), and flat gas pedal (no roller).

http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw2.jpg

A picture of the engine compartment shows that the left side has some sort of
welded seem or damage that has been hammered out. The spring on the lid
appears to be broken away or damaged.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw1.jpg

The car has no rust which makes it a huge plus for us east coast people but
since I can't see the car in person my warning sensors are telling me this
car could be a mine field. Opinions?

Old December 19th 04, 01:44 PM
Charles Fregeau

"Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I'm still looking for a companion for my '64 Bug. I've been looking at
> a '55 semaphore on TheSamba. The owner freely admits that it doesn't
> have its W decklid but there are other discrepancies that are telling me
> that there's something else wrong as here as well. A close look at the
> interior
> picture shows it has a shifter out of a late model bug (fat stalk with
> flat
> top dark grey shift knob), missing or altered hood release knob,
> aftermarket
> radio (cut dash), and flat gas pedal (no roller).
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw2.jpg
>
> A picture of the engine compartment shows that the left side has some sort
> of
> welded seem or damage that has been hammered out. The spring on the lid
> appears to be broken away or damaged.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw1.jpg
>
> The car has no rust which makes it a huge plus for us east coast people
> but
> since I can't see the car in person my warning sensors are telling me this
> car could be a mine field. Opinions?

Door windows have 'no drafts'. I thought that '56 was the first year for
that. This wouldn't be a dealer in West Helena AR, would it?

Charles of Kankakee

Old December 19th 04, 02:01 PM
Charles Fregeau

"Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I'm still looking for a companion for my '64 Bug. I've been looking at
> a '55 semaphore on TheSamba. The owner freely admits that it doesn't
> have its W decklid but there are other discrepancies that are telling me
> that there's something else wrong as here as well. A close look at the
> interior
> picture shows it has a shifter out of a late model bug (fat stalk with
> flat
> top dark grey shift knob), missing or altered hood release knob,
> aftermarket
> radio (cut dash), and flat gas pedal (no roller).
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw2.jpg
>
> A picture of the engine compartment shows that the left side has some sort
> of
> welded seem or damage that has been hammered out. The spring on the lid
> appears to be broken away or damaged.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw1.jpg
>
> The car has no rust which makes it a huge plus for us east coast people
> but
> since I can't see the car in person my warning sensors are telling me this
> car could be a mine field. Opinions?

I stand corrected, the 'no drafts' were started in 1952. But the straight
shifter raises some eyebrows. If I remember correctly, the '55 shifter had
a bend in it to miss something as it shifted. I don't have my good VW book
here to check what it was bent for.

Charles of Kankakee

Old December 19th 04, 02:03 PM
Charles Fregeau

"Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I'm still looking for a companion for my '64 Bug. I've been looking at
> a '55 semaphore on TheSamba. The owner freely admits that it doesn't
> have its W decklid but there are other discrepancies that are telling me
> that there's something else wrong as here as well. A close look at the
> interior
> picture shows it has a shifter out of a late model bug (fat stalk with
> flat
> top dark grey shift knob), missing or altered hood release knob,
> aftermarket
> radio (cut dash), and flat gas pedal (no roller).
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw2.jpg
>
> A picture of the engine compartment shows that the left side has some sort
> of
> welded seem or damage that has been hammered out. The spring on the lid
> appears to be broken away or damaged.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw1.jpg
>
> The car has no rust which makes it a huge plus for us east coast people
> but
> since I can't see the car in person my warning sensors are telling me this
> car could be a mine field. Opinions?

BTW, there is a series of yearly changes and chassis numbers online at:

http://uwang.port5.com/uwang/yearmodel.htm

If there is a chassis number, you can check by that, too.

Charles of Kankakee

Old December 19th 04, 02:07 PM
Charles Fregeau

"Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I'm still looking for a companion for my '64 Bug. I've been looking at
> a '55 semaphore on TheSamba. The owner freely admits that it doesn't
> have its W decklid but there are other discrepancies that are telling me
> that there's something else wrong as here as well. A close look at the
> interior
> picture shows it has a shifter out of a late model bug (fat stalk with
> flat
> top dark grey shift knob), missing or altered hood release knob,
> aftermarket
> radio (cut dash), and flat gas pedal (no roller).
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw2.jpg
>
> A picture of the engine compartment shows that the left side has some sort
> of
> welded seem or damage that has been hammered out. The spring on the lid
> appears to be broken away or damaged.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55vw1.jpg
>

> The car has no rust which makes it a huge plus for us east coast people
> but
> since I can't see the car in person my warning sensors are telling me this
> car could be a mine field. Opinions?

Also for years John Henry has a link to a pretty thorough site to sort it
all out:

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsrbyrs.htm

Charles of Kankakee

Old December 19th 04, 05:22 PM
Mike64Bug

I wasn't so much worried about parts that had been replaced due to normal wear over fifty years. I assume that most of
the (correct) parts could be found with a bit of detective work and of course a few $$$. I just wanted to be sure that
I wasn't missing something more serious.

Old December 19th 04, 09:26 PM
ThaDriver

Hi Mike,
A friend has his '67 for sale (it's here at my place now). It has alot of
upgrades on the engine but would make a great car to finish restoring
(it's one of my favorite years I just wish I could afford to buy it). It's
on Samba at http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=118535
Only $1,000!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"