Lane change feature on the 05.

Old May 29th 05, 03:19 PM
MoPar Man

Steve wrote:

> While we are on the topic why does the new 300 turn off the
> daytime light on the side you signal with? It doesn't look
> right.

Maybe to give the turn signal some visual contrast?
Old May 29th 05, 03:49 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 29 May 2005, Steve wrote:

> While we are on the topic why does the new 300 turn off the daytime
> light on the side you signal with? It doesn't look right

This is because DC chose the least-effective, highest-glare DRL
implementation for their current models: they reduce voltage to the high
beam headlamps. The straight-ahead glare is so high it would interfere
with other drivers' ability to see the turn signal, but if they reduced
the straight-ahead intensity any, the horizontal angles of visibility of
the DRLs would be even narrower than it already is and they wouldn't
comply with the law. The only way to comply with the law with crummy DRLs
like this is to turn one off when that side's turn signal is on.

They should've used separate dedicated DRLs or, since they're famously
averse to doing lighting correctly, turn signal DRLs.

Old May 29th 05, 05:07 PM
Bob Hewitt

Steve, I just checked our 300 and it does not do what you say. Must be
assembled for US only where we do not have that restriction. Bob

Old May 29th 05, 05:33 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 29 May 2005, Bob Hewitt wrote:

> Steve, I just checked our 300 and it does not do what you say. Must be
> assembled for US only where we do not have that restriction.

The US DRL law is the same as the Canadian one, except that in the US DRLs
aren't required. 300s don't come with DRLs enabled in the US unless
they're specially ordered that way. If they are specially ordered that
way, they behave as Steve described.
Old May 29th 05, 11:41 PM
Regina Proulx

L Sternn wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:47:19 -0400, MoPar Man > wrote:
>

>>L Sternn wrote:
>>

>>>... you're supposed to give a little more notice of your
>>>intent to change lanes than 3 blinks of your signal.

>>What - 3 blinks isin't enough?
>>
>>What do you want - 5 minutes of blinking?

> Did I say that???
>

>>It that how long it takes
>>for someone to process visual information like that?

> Think before you speak and look AND SIGNAL before you change lanes.
>
> 3 blinks are not sufficient.

Huh? You clear the lane before you start to signal. (In the UK for
example, signalling before clearing the lane via the mirror fails the
driving test). Three blinks, which might take about 5-6 seconds is
plenty adequate warning of a lane change.
Old May 30th 05, 06:32 PM
L Sternn

On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:41:53 -0400, Regina Proulx >
wrote:

>L Sternn wrote:

>>>What - 3 blinks isin't enough?
>>>
>>>What do you want - 5 minutes of blinking?

>> Did I say that???
>>

>>>It that how long it takes
>>>for someone to process visual information like that?

>> Think before you speak and look AND SIGNAL before you change lanes.
>>
>> 3 blinks are not sufficient.

>Huh? You clear the lane before you start to signal.

Hopefully, you're not clearing the lane by running other drivers off
the road.

Just a guess, but is that Brit-speak for making sure the lane is clear
first?

> (In the UK for
>example, signalling before clearing the lane via the mirror fails the
>driving test). Three blinks, which might take about 5-6 seconds is
>plenty adequate warning of a lane change.

You mean you always decide to change lanes with only 5-6 seconds
forethought?

There are cases where that's okay and even necessary to avoid
something, but if all your lane changes are that abrupt, I suspect
you're not a very safe driver.

Old May 30th 05, 07:21 PM
Percival P. Cassidy

On 05/29/05 06:41 pm Regina Proulx tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>> 3 blinks are not sufficient.

> Huh? You clear the lane before you start to signal. (In the UK for
> example, signalling before clearing the lane via the mirror fails the
> driving test). Three blinks, which might take about 5-6 seconds is
> plenty adequate warning of a lane change.

Merely looking in the mirror is often not enough. What about blind
spots? Looking over one's shoulder is essential.

And what happens if you get stuck in a lane where you don't want to be
(e.g., from which you can't reach the exit)? You can't signal as a
"Please, please drop back so I can move over" message?

Perce
Old May 31st 05, 01:33 AM
Bob Hewitt

Can anyone answer the question??

Is there a possibility that this feature could be added to our new 300
AWD vehicle? Is this a complicated installation or just add a special
relay? =A0 Bob

Old May 31st 05, 02:07 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Bob Hewitt wrote:

> Can anyone answer the question??

Post it a fourth time! Post it again!

Old May 31st 05, 03:21 AM
mic canic

it can be done real easy and no relay when the wiper rotation fliud is due
for a change

HOV lane behavior... brink Driving 79 December 22nd 05 04:29 AM
Sloth turn lane confusion Alexander Rogge Driving 6 April 29th 05 08:01 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
I drove in the right lane today Usual Suspect Driving 10 February 15th 05 02:33 AM