98 SL2 Automatic Transmission Hesitates Shifting Into Reverse

Old March 9th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 98 SL2 Automatic Transmission Hesitates Shifting Into Reverse

CW - Are you also getting some harsh shifting?
Nassau or Suffolk? (Don't go to Hempstead - major league crooks!)

Old March 9th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

We've heard a clunking/banging sound when changing gears for a long
time. Now we have problems when switching into reverse (there is a
delay), and there is a whirring noise coming from the transmission
sometimes while driving.

I can go anywhere in Nassau or Suffolk. I read through this usenet
group and one post suggested it may be a loose input shaft nut. I'm
currently being quoted $600+ just to tighten a loose input shaft nut
and change the transmission fluid. The shop told me they have to open
the transmission case to do the work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old March 9th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I don't remember any noise when it shifted, just a rather harsh jolt -
I think from 2nd to 3rd. And the harsh shift and delayed/no reverse
came on at the same time and all of a sudden. After doing the job
myself, $600 doesn't seem all THAT unreasonable. The tranny doesn't
have to come out and the only parts required are the nut (it has to be
replaced, not just tightened) and the cover gasket, but the job pretty
much sucks. You have to lower the engine a tad to get at the top cover
bolt. You have to break the ball joint to swing the strut out of the
way a little. (There's a tube attached to the cover which requires the
cover to be pulled straight away from the engine quite a bit - the
strut is in the way). You need a thin-wall 23mm socket to get at the
nut. If you have experience and are a fast worker, I have to believe
it's at least a 3 hr. job.