Anti Theft Problem

Old November 13th 05, 03:47 PM
RC

Default Anti Theft Problem

My 1998 Olds Bravada (147000 miles) usually starts quick. One day it
just turned over and never fired. Checked some routine things. It was
like that for days. Check engine light was on. One day started as
usual. No check engine light. Tried to take to shop. Wouldn't start.
Got to the shop next time it started. It ran fine. He tried to start
it. This time it stalled but he got a Anti Theft message on is meter
for that brief second. Ever other time he had no trouble starting it
and had no check engine light. He couldn't fix what wasn't broke. I
drove it for a few days and now it doesn't start, just turns over. I
originally thought it was the fuel pump but I can hear the fuel pump
working! It also runs well when it starts. Can you reset an Anti Theft
system? I've been using the same keys for years, not that this means
anything.

Old November 13th 05, 07:56 PM
ed

sounds like some codes should be able to be pulled up.
could be as much as a fuel pump.

oups.com...

Old November 13th 05, 11:56 PM

Shiden Kai (Ian) might be your best source on this. I have
an older car which flips me off from time to time, but have learned
to deal with it, UNTIL I get ambitious and disable the antitheft device.

My wife's 98 model has never given a problem.

The two systems are, fortunately or not, not exactly the same in function.

For example, the older car will not activate the starter when the antitheft
device is being petulant. Not at all.

Old November 14th 05, 02:45 PM

"M.M." > wrote in message
> > My wife's 98 model has never given a problem.

> My 98 Astro starts just fine but after a minute or so the Security light
> comes on solid. It doesn't seem to affect anything and I haven't been
> able to find out what would cause that (the manual says to take it to
> the dealer). I assume that it has something to do with the anti-theft
> (Passlock II, I think). And it doesn't always do it...the light often
> stays off...probably about 50/50. I haven't been able to see any
> pattern. I'm about to resort to the tape-over-the-light fix.

I have had to research my Reatta situation a lot, since it has caused a lot
of problems. In that model, the problems always seems to stem from the
key 'code' reader. Even with a new key, if the reader doesnt always signal
the module that the resistance is correct, the security light comes on and
the
starter will not activate. Even if you bypassed the starter cutout relay,
there
is a circuit from the module which apparently activates fuel to the injector
while the car is starting.

The 'cure' on that one is to disconnect the wires that go to the key, and
solder in a precision resistor which will emulate the key.

My security light has never come on while the car is running, nor has
the system shut down the engine. ¨

I might be very tempted to apply the same 'fix' to a car like yours and
see what happens. I would prefer that someone steal the little rascal
than it to leave me sitting on the hood, frowning, at some service station
in Nowheresville.