98 Intrepid won't shift

Old June 10th 05, 01:37 AM
Tim

Default 98 Intrepid won't shift

My wifes 98 Intrepid just started acting crazy, it shifts from first to
second almost instantly but won't go higher. The speedometer stays at 0,
it dies at stops, and the check engine light stays on. Can anyone tell
me what's up?
Thanks in advance
Tim
Old June 10th 05, 01:59 AM
Bill Putney

Tim wrote:
> My wifes 98 Intrepid just started acting crazy, it shifts from first to
> second almost instantly but won't go higher. The speedometer stays at 0,
> it dies at stops, and the check engine light stays on. Can anyone tell
> me what's up?
> Thanks in advance
> Tim

You need to replace the output speed sensor on the tranny. It's in
what's called "limp" or "limp home" mode be because the sensor is not
working - doesn't allow tranny to shift out of 2nd gear (just like the
'Friends' TV show song). Cost of part is $20-40 depending on dealer.
Takes about 15 to 20 minutes to replace for a first-time DIY'er, or pay
a dealer $70-$100.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 10th 05, 02:11 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

Tim > writes:

> My wifes 98 Intrepid just started acting crazy, it shifts from first
> to second almost instantly but won't go higher. The speedometer stays
> at 0, it dies at stops, and the check engine light stays on. Can
> anyone tell me what's up?

So, since the check engine light is on, what codes are stored in the
computer?
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old June 10th 05, 02:13 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Tim wrote:

> My wifes 98 Intrepid just started acting crazy, it shifts from first to
> second almost instantly but won't go higher. The speedometer stays at 0,
> it dies at stops, and the check engine light stays on. Can anyone tell
> me what's up?

Your transmission output speed sensor is probably toast. Easy fix.
Old June 10th 05, 10:12 PM
Tim

Tim wrote:
> My wifes 98 Intrepid just started acting crazy, it shifts from first to
> second almost instantly but won't go higher. The speedometer stays at 0,
> it dies at stops, and the check engine light stays on. Can anyone tell
> me what's up?
> Thanks in advance

The only code I get is P1864 I have had the battery out so that makes
sence. My manual (Chilton) dosn't mention an output speed control
sensor, can you tell me where to look?
Thanks a million
Tim
Old June 10th 05, 10:16 PM
maxpower

"Tim" > wrote in message
> Tim wrote:
> > My wifes 98 Intrepid just started acting crazy, it shifts from first to
> > second almost instantly but won't go higher. The speedometer stays at 0,
> > it dies at stops, and the check engine light stays on. Can anyone tell
> > me what's up?
> > Thanks in advance

> The only code I get is P1864 I have had the battery out so that makes
> sence. My manual (Chilton) dosn't mention an output speed control
> sensor, can you tell me where to look?
> Thanks a million
> Tim

The output speed sensor can be serviced without having to remove the
transaxle from the vehicle.

CAUTION: When disconnecting speed sensor connector, be sure that the weather
seal does not fall off or remain in old sensor.

The output speed sensor is located on the left side of the transaxle case.
The sensor threads into the transaxle case. Tighten output speed sensor to
20-34 N·m (180-300 in. lbs.)

Old June 11th 05, 01:28 AM
tim bur

replace the output speed sensor on the trans it's in limp in mode

Old June 11th 05, 01:30 AM
tim bur

it has the tan plastic base there are 2 and the one you want is rearward

Old June 11th 05, 03:23 AM
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:

> ...The output speed sensor is located on the left side of the transaxle case...

So's the input speed sensor. The output sensor is the one towards the rear.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 11th 05, 07:29 PM
Tim

Tim wrote:
> My wifes 98 Intrepid just started acting crazy, it shifts from first to
> second almost instantly but won't go higher. The speedometer stays at 0,
> it dies at stops, and the check engine light stays on. Can anyone tell
> me what's up?
> Thanks in advance
> Tim

Thanks guys, it was an easy fix, cheep too $19 for the sensor and $5 for
a deepwell socket to take it off. The check engine light is still on though.
Thanks again
Tim