81-84 Diesel engine conversion

Old November 14th 04, 04:35 AM
Jerritt

Default 81-84 Diesel engine conversion

I am getting ready to convert my 84' Jetta 1.7l(CIS) to diesel. I live
in the middle of Chevy/Ford country where there are no pre-2000 VW's at
all(even less-so of diesels). I am going to have to do the conversion in
about a week. So I would like to have everything on hand cause I would
probabally have to order anything I am missing. I have a list of things
I have/planning to order.

Engine w/inj. pump.
intake manifold
Fuel filter assym. & fuel lines * filler neck
200mm clutch kit
Bentley for diesel jetta

I can manage making the glowplug circuit.
Is it suppose to only run the plugs at a certain temp?
and for how long?

Is there anything else I need? Does anyone know of a good place to get
the above? Does anyone have any hints on the conversion?

Does anyone have any high-res pics of the engine bay?(e-mail
)

TIA, Jerritt
Old November 14th 04, 06:47 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

JMHO but it is better to already have one that is diesel. Try some salvage
yards, classifieds, Ebay to possibly locate a wrecked one that is still
driveable then you will have all parts needed. ;-)

So many little things you are overlooking:
Front strut springs should be different to handle the extra weight of the
engine.
Transmission is geared differently to handle the optimum torque of the
diesel engine.
Radiator should be different, although I think the gas one can handle it.
Accelator cable and FI pump cable
Exhaust will not have the cat. conv for the diesel.
Fresh air hose for the air cleaner.
Not to mention some of the wiring is different, fuse for the glow plugs,
wire for the FI pump.

Yes the glow plug relay should only supply power to the glow plugs when it's
coolant temperature sensor tells it is cold enough.
The Relay will determine the length of time for powering up the glow plugs,
along with the sensor. Usually the relay is matched to the glow plugs (Fast
Glow Plugs and Fast Relay instead of slow and slow)

good luck
later,
dave

Old November 14th 04, 06:52 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...atego ry=6021

Oh I forgot that even the starter is different for the diesel. ;-)
later,
dave

Old November 15th 04, 06:44 PM
Racer X

Jerritt > wrote in message news:<VsAld.4029$Dk.3718@lakeread08>...
> I am getting ready to convert my 84' Jetta 1.7l(CIS) to diesel. I live
> in the middle of Chevy/Ford country where there are no pre-2000 VW's at
> all(even less-so of diesels). I am going to have to do the conversion in
> about a week. So I would like to have everything on hand cause I would
> probabally have to order anything I am missing. I have a list of things
> I have/planning to order.
>
> Engine w/inj. pump.
> intake manifold
> Fuel filter assym. & fuel lines * filler neck
> 200mm clutch kit
> Bentley for diesel jetta
>
> I can manage making the glowplug circuit.
> Is it suppose to only run the plugs at a certain temp?
> and for how long?
>
> Is there anything else I need? Does anyone know of a good place to get
> the above? Does anyone have any hints on the conversion?
>
> Does anyone have any high-res pics of the engine bay?(e-mail
> )
>
> TIA, Jerritt

I would recommend against trying to "convert" from gas to diesel (or
diesel to gas). Do you have emissions inspections where you live?
That's usually keyed off the VIN and the VIN for a gas car will
indicate that you have to pass the tests for the emissions standars
for a gas car. You might not be able to pass emissions inspection or
get a tag with a diesel engine under the hood. And even if it's OK
where you live now, you could never move and take the vehicle to
anyplace with strict emissions checking.

The only way to do this, if you absolutely must do it, is to have an
entire donor vehicle with the diesel engine and everything you need.
The whole fuel system is different. The entire electrical harness
under the hood is different. The diesels got different transmissions
(though a gas one might work, it wouldn't be optimal). It will be a
whole lot of trouble, and doing the job right will be a lot of work.
There's also a plethora of "little things" that will drive you nuts.
The brackets for the CIS fuel distributor will probably have to be
removed. The windshield washer bottle is in a different location on
the diesels. The diesel fuel filter is different, mounted in a
different place with a different bracket. The vacuum lines are routed
different. Basically, everything is different and you'll have to
move/rewire a lot of stuff besides the most obvious engine and fuel
related things.

--
Racer X

1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT
1992 Mazda Miata
1994 Caravan (OK, maybe it's a keeper, but I still want a VW Caddy)
1995 Ford Escort (Hey, it was free)
1983 VW Rabbit GTI (ITB racer)
1988 Mazda RX-7 (Soon to be ITS racer)
1992 GMC Topkick (portable garage for racecar[s])
Old November 15th 04, 06:44 PM
Racer X

diesel engine Autotech 4x4 1 December 31st 04 12:46 PM
Cold Start sequence for VW diesel engine (Seat Toledo) MikeyB VW water cooled 3 November 2nd 04 05:34 AM
Nissan gas engine to diesel engine conversion Mike O'Barr 4x4 2 July 18th 04 12:29 AM
Engine conversion kit for 1987 Toyota truck Loco 4 X 4 4x4 2 January 2nd 04 04:05 AM