'92 Plymouth Sundance - Burning Oil?

Old December 12th 04, 04:18 PM
Bobby Villamor

Default '92 Plymouth Sundance - Burning Oil?

Hello everyone.
My '92 Plymouth Sundance 2.5L engine have been consuming too much oil.
From full to empty on the dipstick takes only over a week. Months ago, I
changed
the valve cover gasket and a hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner,
properly
clipped. Yesterday, I found that another connector from the valve cover to
the
intake manifold (or carburetor) is cracked and oil leaks there. Is this
where the PCV is?
What worries me is that the engine oil turns BLACK after two weeks of oil
change. Lately,
I change oil every month. Is this a case of oil burning (oil leaking through
piston rings or valves)?
Last week I added Wynn's engine Stop Leak and oil consumption seemed to
drop.
Any idea / information / suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Bobby

Old December 12th 04, 06:53 PM
maxpower

Months ago when you changed your valve cover gasket where did you put the
shield that was inside the valve cover? Cause i bet you didnt put it back
when you put the valve cover back on, Or was there a metal shield under the
valve cover when you removed it?

Old December 12th 04, 06:53 PM
maxpower

Old December 14th 04, 04:32 AM
kendra

I have the same symptoms...oil leak, turns black black quickly, etc. But I
was told it was a seal going..hm...

Old December 14th 04, 04:32 AM
kendra

Old December 14th 04, 06:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, kendra wrote:

> I have the same symptoms...oil leak, turns black black quickly, etc. But I
> was told it was a seal going..hm...

There is no seal that would cause early oil blackening in the process of
the seal "going".
Old December 14th 04, 06:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 14th 04, 08:22 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Bobby Villamor" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone.
> My '92 Plymouth Sundance 2.5L engine have been consuming too much oil.
> From full to empty on the dipstick takes only over a week. Months ago, I
> changed
> the valve cover gasket and a hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner,
> properly
> clipped. Yesterday, I found that another connector from the valve cover to
> the
> intake manifold (or carburetor) is cracked and oil leaks there. Is this
> where the PCV is?
> What worries me is that the engine oil turns BLACK after two weeks of oil
> change.

Sounds like your PCV system is clogged. This can sometimes pressurize the
crankcase and push engine oil out through all kinds of gasket sealing areas.

You really need a manual that shows where the PCV valve is and all the
hoses.

Ted

Old December 14th 04, 08:22 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

Old December 16th 04, 12:05 AM
Bobby Villamor

Yeah... I've an option on engine rebuilding which costs from $2,500 to
$3,000.
But what if the real cause on too much oil consumption and oil turning black
after two weeks is just one or a few cheap external engine parts. Perhaps
I'll trade in this car for another one and gamble on whatever future problem
that car would bring.
Any other hint or help or advice still appreciated.
Thanks,
Bobby

plymouth duster gopher2 Dodge 0 September 9th 04 05:49 PM
1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv. Rockman Antique cars 1 January 27th 04 02:08 PM