1996 Voyager Transmission Hesitation

Old December 8th 04, 10:40 PM
Christian M. Mericle

Default 1996 Voyager Transmission Hesitation

1996 Plymouth Voyager. 2.4L. 4 Cylinder. 176K miles.

Now that I've got the engine problem fixed, I'm turning my attention
to the transmission.

When putting the vehicle into reverse there is a pause before the
transmission "kicks in." This is most noticable on cold days when the
delay can be up to 5 or 10 seconds for reverse (which then kicks in
and jars everyone's teeth out). Reverse is worse than drive. Cold is
worse than warm.

Also, when driving, it seems to take longer to automitcally switch
gears than it used to. And seems to hesitate just a tiny bit when
upshifting. This is only noticable when it's cold.

Is there any answer besides "the transmission is worn out"?

Thanks in advance.

-- Christian
Old December 8th 04, 10:51 PM
BACKNCARDR

>When putting the vehicle into reverse there is a pause before the
>transmission "kicks in." This is most noticable on cold days when the
>delay can be up to 5 or 10 seconds
>for reverse (which then kicks in
>and jars everyone's teeth out).

How cold are yer temps?

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton
Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964
Member TRNI IATN
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html
http://www.longmfg.com/web/longwebfr...me/web.trucool
Old December 8th 04, 10:51 PM
BACKNCARDR

Old December 9th 04, 12:30 AM
Mike

When was the last time the fluid/filter was changed? That's always a good
place to start - you can also see then if there is any/much metal in the
pan/around the pan magnet. Also you could get the codes pulled to see if
there are any logged faults.

Old December 9th 04, 12:30 AM
Mike

Old December 9th 04, 05:33 PM
Christian M. Mericle

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:30:21 -0500, "Mike"
> wrote:

>When was the last time the fluid/filter was changed? That's always a good
>place to start - you can also see then if there is any/much metal in the
>pan/around the pan magnet. Also you could get the codes pulled to see if
>there are any logged faults.

Okay, that's where I'll start then. Is there a recommended fluid
change interval?

I checked fault codes in relation to the engine problem I was having
(different post). It didn't return anything that I think would be
applicable to the tranny.

Thanks!

-- Christian

.. .