The PCH: Serpentine Devourer Of Celebrity Drunkards

Old August 8th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.recovery.aa,rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.driving,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
Justin[_1_]

Default The PCH: Serpentine Devourer Of Celebrity Drunkards

8-Aug-2006 TaraG wrote:

> "Justin" > wrote in message
> > 8-Aug-2006 JXStern wrote:

> >> The common usage omits the "the", the "proper" usage is not the common
> >> usage. Maybe some pedantic editor "corrected" good reporting by
> >> inserting the "the", but it reads poorly to anyone who knows Los
> >> Angeles. Then again, there's "The OC", which no native ever said
> >> until some creative type coined the phrase, but now is occassionally
> >> heard, so, y'know, whatever.
> >>

> > I think you need to get together with my ex. What an insufferable
> > ****ing snob she is...
> >
> > "Only hicks from Iowa use Frisco, dahling! Either call it *The City*
> > or don't talk about it at all."

> I'm torn. My first reaction was to ask if you hit her with a brick. But
> then, you being the guy, you can't really answer "yup". So....
>
> Didja kick her in the shin after that one?

Nope... I said, "Honey, first of all, I'm from Detroit not Iowa.
And secondly, it's Dee-Troit, not Duh-Troit -- you flaky
West-coast bitch." And then I threw her ass off the roof!

But that's another story.... ; )

--
Justin
Old August 9th 06, 01:39 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.recovery.aa,rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.driving,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
JXStern

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 21:20:19 GMT, "Justin" >
wrote:
>I think you need to get together with my ex. What an insufferable
>****ing snob she is...
>
>"Only hicks from Iowa use Frisco, dahling! Either call it *The City*
>or don't talk about it at all."

The article got the objective facts wrong, it's only in that light
that I noted they also got the reference wrong, too.

Like it wasn't evident from the title, "Serpentine Devourer". Maybe
they're just being cute all the way down, and I'm no fun at all taking
it even halfway seriously, if that's what I did by responding to it.

After all, the topic is ridiculous from the git-go.

J.

Old August 9th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.recovery.aa,rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.driving,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
bernard farquart

"TaraG" > wrote in message

>> "Only hicks from Iowa use Frisco, dahling! Either call it *The City*
>> or don't talk about it at all."

> I'm torn. My first reaction was to ask if you hit her with a brick. But
> then, you being the guy, you can't really answer "yup". So....
>
> Didja kick her in the shin after that one?
>
> Tara

Well, she was right, I was taught growing up (in the '70's) that
if you wanted to look like a rube fresh off the bus from Palookaville,
the surest way was to use the term "Frisco"

I lived in East Bay, but we still had standards, ya know.

Bernard

Old August 9th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.recovery.aa,rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.driving,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
TaraG

"bernard farquart" > wrote in message
. ..

> "TaraG" > wrote in message
>>

>>> "Only hicks from Iowa use Frisco, dahling! Either call it *The City*
>>> or don't talk about it at all."

>> I'm torn. My first reaction was to ask if you hit her with a brick. But
>> then, you being the guy, you can't really answer "yup". So....
>>
>> Didja kick her in the shin after that one?
>>
>> Tara
>>

> Well, she was right, I was taught growing up (in the '70's) that
> if you wanted to look like a rube fresh off the bus from Palookaville,
> the surest way was to use the term "Frisco"
>
> I lived in East Bay, but we still had standards, ya know.

As someone born and raised in NYC, I certainly understand the pretension of
cooler-than. But it seems that what was important as a teenager to
differentiate myself from the "fresh off the bus" people, has gone by the
wayside for me and most of those who have also grown up here. Now its only
the "fresh off the bus" people who have been here more than 5 minutes who
are the ones carrying the banner of snobbery. And that's fine by me. Its how
I differentiate myself from them now. If someone is being snotty about what
is proper citified behavior, its a pretty good bet they moved here from
Idaho 10 years ago and think they know what's what now. My friends and I who
grew up here are the ones people think of as being from "somewhere else". I
assume its because we don't have to wear the City Slicker badges on our
sleeves.

But then I don't travel in the yuppy/trendy circles. When I do, I get really
cranky and occasionally downright snarky (if you can believe that!) so it
could be different amongst those people.

Tara