96 A6 blower regulation flaps gets stuck? (stays cold / warm / whatever)

Old June 21st 04, 06:41 PM
kons

Default 96 A6 blower regulation flaps gets stuck? (stays cold / warm / whatever)

Hi,

My 96 A6 ventilation system acts funny,
I have the clima automat (AC system) with the digital control unit. (no
round knobs)

It's like the flaps inside the fan housing gets stuck,
I have an exploded view printout from the local Audi shop... so I know
there are flaps inside but havent opened yet.
The levers on the outside of the blower are not moving when the settings
on the control unit is changed
and they feel like stuck (should they?).
I can hear there is a wrrrr wrrr sound like some small electric motor
tries to regulate the setting
(could be something else but thats what I think it sounds and feels like)..
Have looked from the dashboard side (had the radio and AC control unit out
anyway)
but could not see any obviuos links to control the flaps.

Regulation by the fan speed control works (kind of) enough that I get by
but it would be nice to fix it permanetly.
Before winter anyway (I live in Norway) brrr in -20C its not nice without
heating.

Any hints what it can be?
Anyone seen this problem before?
I thought it would be hard to open the fan unit but it seems from some
posts I saw here
that exchanging the blower is at least doable so perhaps its not so bad???
I will open it eventually I guess, but some hints along the way would be
nice.

Thanks in advance

PS the email is not a working one, allergic to spam...

Old June 22nd 04, 03:50 AM
Tony

Hi,

I have a 96 S6 and I had this problem. It's probably the flapper motor thats
in the dash. You get to it from the outside by removing the cover in front
of the wiper mechanics. I actually had this fixed by the dealer before I had
the ETKA and Bentley CDs but it should be something you can do yourself.

What has probably happened is the connecting rod from motor to flapper is
disconnected. Easily remedied but my dealer charged me for a new part ($300
Canadian).

Good luck.

Tony
96 S6.

news

Old June 22nd 04, 08:20 AM
kons

Thanks,
thats spot on,

Here is what I also found in the mean time.
I searched a bit more last night and found references to the diag info
you can get from the control unit.
The AC control say that the temprature flap is not working...
set point is not the same as the feedback pot.
Also found pictures of the procedure to get at the flap motor.

But I wonder if it can be a fully disconnected rod since
I do get colder air from it as the summer approches.
Only now there is no heat early in the morning when that
is needed.I guess that will be obvious when its opened.

I would prefere not to let the dealer here do this as my A6 is imported
(used from Germany) and the dealers seems to revenge the lost sales by
overcharging repair costs for those that have these.
(or perhaps they just rip everyone off how whould I know)
Paid ~200 USD (equivalent) for them to hock the door opner cable back on,
found out later when it happened again that I could fix it in 5 minutes.
and _no_ it was not on the lower end of the cable I did fix that on the
other door..
gaaahhh .. bl...y croocks

Anyway thanks.
Now I know it will be fixed (only need to find time to do it)

Old July 1st 04, 10:47 PM
dave smith

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:41:57 +0200, kons > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My 96 A6 ventilation system acts funny,
>I have the clima automat (AC system) with the digital control unit. (no
>round knobs)
>
>It's like the flaps inside the fan housing gets stuck,
>I have an exploded view printout from the local Audi shop... so I know
>there are flaps inside but havent opened yet.
>The levers on the outside of the blower are not moving when the settings
>on the control unit is changed
> and they feel like stuck (should they?).
>I can hear there is a wrrrr wrrr sound like some small electric motor
>tries to regulate the setting
>(could be something else but thats what I think it sounds and feels like)..
>Have looked from the dashboard side (had the radio and AC control unit out
>anyway)
>but could not see any obviuos links to control the flaps.
>
>Regulation by the fan speed control works (kind of) enough that I get by
>but it would be nice to fix it permanetly.
>Before winter anyway (I live in Norway) brrr in -20C its not nice without
>heating.
>
>Any hints what it can be?
>Anyone seen this problem before?
>I thought it would be hard to open the fan unit but it seems from some
>posts I saw here
>that exchanging the blower is at least doable so perhaps its not so bad???
>I will open it eventually I guess, but some hints along the way would be
>nice.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>PS the email is not a working one, allergic to spam...

I have an A6 2.6 SE 1996

For a time the rapid defrost function was not working. I could hear
the fan going full speed but nothing coming out of the central
windscreen outlet. Then it started to work ok but very little cold air
was coming from the dash a/c vents. Now the dash vents are working
but not the rapid defrost.

Seems like a similar problem.

Also had Ignition switch return switch go. This is really scary,
Grinding noises from gearbox and lots of electrics not working.
Glad to say new switch was just £25.00 and I fitted it myself.
I understand this is a common fault on A6.

Regards David.
Old July 7th 04, 11:29 PM
kons

An update on what I found,

Opened the small electric motor running the temperature flap,
everything seems to be OK nothing stuck or damaged.
http://www.audi.auto.ru/climate/temp.../temp_flap.htm (shows how
its done)
Put it together again and test it, seems to still be stuck.
I dig out the control unit from the dash, open it and look over the
electronics (I work in electronics) nothing looks broken,
power the control up on the bench at work, all drivers for the motors
seems to be OK.
(I used serious lab equipment, you really want to know what you do when
attempting
this since it is expensive if you short something and breaks it (more)) )
hmmmm...
Then it should be the wireing to the motor.
All those (4 motors) are together in one plug to the control paired nicely.
I use an multimeter to check for 10-40ohm loads.
Everything seems still OK... (this last measurment was the first I should
have
done had I known what to look for, after checking the diagnostics display)
Since nothing seems wrong I put it all togheter. now it works very
nicely....
My guess is it was a bad connection in one of the connectors,
or secondary that the electric motor was slightly stuck but me messing with
it caused it to get better.

The motors can also be checked by applying 7V directly on the connector
near the blower (no dismantling). My guess is it will work nicely running
the
motor with a 9V small battery (like in smoke alarms) then afterwards,
the potentiometer for the flap should read something different from before
in diagnostics.

Found links to diagnostics from the control system after posting my first
request.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int5.shtml
diag code for errors was: 8.5 stuck temperature flap.
After powering it on the bench it desided all its sensors where
temporarily in error,
(disconnected) not so strange since the whole car was missing.
after a few days the error code is now 0.0 no errors... and it still
works. :-)

Got a responce from someone that had defective output drivers in the
control
unit, so apparently that can happen too.
Any problem with motor,wires,drivers, control of drivers that cause a
prolonged
missmatch between the pot reporting the flaps position
and the position the control wants to have will be reported as a stuck
flap.

I learned a lot, and I'm impressed what the diagnostics have information
about, and can figure out.

Thanks for all the help.