Cross shaft question

Old March 17th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Cross shaft question

Fellow air-cooled drivers,

I have a question regarding the cross shaft that holds the throw out
bearing. One of the welds broke a few weeks ago and I ended up having it
rewelded. This transmission is rebuilt from a shop. They installed an
after-market part so I picked up a German one from the local VW shop. Both
the German and the aftermarket have 20 mm diameter left ends but the German
part has a .7 inch diameter right end and the after market has a .6 diameter
right end. I don't understand why the original German cross shaft did not
fit in the case. Did the rebuilders use a case other than what I ordered -
a 1974 Super Beetle transmission? They are still in business and I called
them. The guy told me that they "weld the arms to last forever." I asked
him if he could tell me where I could buy the red urethane bushing. He told
me that his supplier won't sell to the general public but he can sell me one
for $10 plus shipping. I am surprised that he didn't offer to send it to me
free after he knows that his weld broke. The weld could have broken on the
freeway during rush hour traffic or out in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you

Old March 17th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"warlock" > wrote in message
> Fellow air-cooled drivers,

. I am surprised that he didn't offer to send it to me
> free after he knows that his weld broke. The weld could have broken on
> the
> freeway during rush hour traffic or out in the middle of nowhere.

not "his" weld....not sure about the different dimensions.

Old March 18th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Joey,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the help you have given me. His exact
quote was "...we weld them to last forever." I took this to mean that he
welded the cross shaft in his shop and I also believe that he machined the
right end of the cross shaft because he told me that he has to grind them
down. But why would he have to grind the cross shaft at all?

Thank you

Old March 18th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"azazel scratch" > wrote in message
> Joey,
>
> Thanks for your input. I appreciate the help you have given me. His
> exact
> quote was "...we weld them to last forever." I took this to mean that he
> welded the cross shaft in his shop and I also believe that he machined the
> right end of the cross shaft because he told me that he has to grind them
> down. But why would he have to grind the cross shaft at all?

i see...sorry, thought it was a factory cross shaft....(or
aftermarket)....the demensions of the cross shaft made a large change
after/in the 1973 model year, but not sure why the shaft would be different
on the two sides...i have broken several cross shafts over the years with
heavy pressure plates, but never broke one that i had welded....you were
lucky, when i lost the first cross shaft it was relatively
painless....second time it cost me a transaxle, pressureplate, clutch disc,
and flywheel....

altima drive shaft installation suren Technology 2 October 26th 05 06:26 PM
some advice please Pi-Eyed Piper Jeep 29 September 28th 05 03:16 AM
specific endplay question Chronologic VW air cooled 2 August 26th 05 10:23 PM
Noise after lift, 97TJ, bump stop shaft & spring? pbarton Jeep 8 January 9th 05 09:16 PM