1977 Windshield wiper switch

Old December 11th 04, 05:12 PM
Jim

Default 1977 Windshield wiper switch

Hi ,

I have a 1977 with tilt and telescopic steering. My problem is that I
can't get the wiper washer pump to work and I beleive the problem is inside
the steering column .... I can get the washer pump to work when wired direct
with jumper wires so I know the pump DOES work. I followed all the
connections and there is no bad ground or broken wires.
On this model of Corvette, the washer pump is turned on by pushing the
turn signal in towards the column. The wipers work fine and they are turned
on by pulling the turn signal either towards you or away from you (can't
remember off the top of my head......just want to say that the wipers work
fine).

My question is should I start removing the steering wheel and going in
deep to see whats wrong or is there a test that I haven't done that I should
do before I start going in deep. Thanks...Jim

Old December 12th 04, 03:24 AM
BDragon

"Jim" <jim> wrote in message ...
> Hi ,
>
> I have a 1977 with tilt and telescopic steering. My problem is that

> can't get the wiper washer pump to work and I beleive the problem is

inside
> the steering column .... I can get the washer pump to work when wired

direct
> with jumper wires so I know the pump DOES work. I followed all the
> connections and there is no bad ground or broken wires.
> On this model of Corvette, the washer pump is turned on by pushing the
> turn signal in towards the column. The wipers work fine and they are

turned
> on by pulling the turn signal either towards you or away from you (can't
> remember off the top of my head......just want to say that the wipers work
> fine).
>
> My question is should I start removing the steering wheel and going

in
> deep to see whats wrong or is there a test that I haven't done that I

should
> do before I start going in deep. Thanks...Jim

I have a '77 also. I've been messing with the wipers which are reluctant to
run. From what I have learned so far, if the wiper (and therefore the
washer) bench tests okay, the only other place for a problem is the switch.
The biggest problem I have with that is that so far I have been unable to
locate one. If you know of a place that stocks them, I'd appreciate a
heads-up on that.

Good luck.

Old December 12th 04, 03:24 AM
BDragon

Old December 12th 04, 05:28 PM
Jim

> I have a '77 also. I've been messing with the wipers which are reluctant
> run. From what I have learned so far, if the wiper (and therefore the
> washer) bench tests okay, the only other place for a problem is the
> switch.
> The biggest problem I have with that is that so far I have been unable to
> locate one. If you know of a place that stocks them, I'd appreciate a
> heads-up on that.
>
> Good luck.

Yes, I can at least help you there, Eckler's has a switch (part # A8215)
and it's $89.99. 1-800-327-4868

or try www.ecklers.com .

I am just a little nervous of going that deep in the steering wheel to
replace it... guess I'm going to have to check it out..

Jim

Old December 12th 04, 05:28 PM
Jim

Old December 12th 04, 06:36 PM
Bob G.

>I have a '77 also. I've been messing with the wipers which are reluctant to
>run. From what I have learned so far, if the wiper (and therefore the
>washer) bench tests okay, the only other place for a problem is the switch.
>The biggest problem I have with that is that so far I have been unable to
>locate one. If you know of a place that stocks them, I'd appreciate a
>heads-up on that.
>
>Good luck.

I know we all have our own opinions of Dr.Rebuild BUT I keep his
catalog here at the desk and keep another copy in both of my
garages... Darn Good reference material...

BTW they list a 77 wiper switch at 85 bucks with T & T or a NOS switch
excluding T & T for 125 big ones.... ouch !

But my main question is what is T & T...????

1977 is the ONLY year that mentions T&T... my brain is not
"cooking" yet...have no clue

Bob
Old December 12th 04, 06:36 PM
Bob G.

Old December 12th 04, 09:18 PM
Jim

> I know we all have our own opinions of Dr.Rebuild BUT I keep his
> catalog here at the desk and keep another copy in both of my
> garages... Darn Good reference material...
>
> BTW they list a 77 wiper switch at 85 bucks with T & T or a NOS switch
> excluding T & T for 125 big ones.... ouch !
>
> But my main question is what is T & T...????
>
> 1977 is the ONLY year that mentions T&T... my brain is not
> "cooking" yet...have no clue
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

T& T stands for Telescopic and Tilt...on the '77's there is a locking
collar that you loosen and the steering wheel telescopes toward you and then
you also have the tilt option.

Jim

Old December 12th 04, 09:18 PM
Jim

Old December 13th 04, 03:23 AM
BDragon

"Jim" <jim> wrote in message ...

> > I have a '77 also. I've been messing with the wipers which are

reluctant
> > run. From what I have learned so far, if the wiper (and therefore the
> > washer) bench tests okay, the only other place for a problem is the
> > switch.
> > The biggest problem I have with that is that so far I have been unable

> > locate one. If you know of a place that stocks them, I'd appreciate a
> > heads-up on that.
> >
> > Good luck.

> Yes, I can at least help you there, Eckler's has a switch (part #

A8215)
> and it's $89.99. 1-800-327-4868
>
> or try www.ecklers.com .
>
> I am just a little nervous of going that deep in the steering wheel to
> replace it... guess I'm going to have to check it out..
>
> Jim

Thanks for the info on the switch. Pricey little devil, but better than not
having one. Now I'm in your boat and have to work my way inside the
steering column. I haven't looked at the shop manual yet, but if it's like
other tilt and telescope columns, the knuckle gear is dangerous and can blow
apart if you don't do it right. Be careful of that. Otherwise, I'm sure
it's just a piece of cake that will only take a week or so of dedicated
wrenching. Ugh.

Still got wiper probs on '98 E39 Scott BMW 1 January 4th 05 03:51 AM
1998 E39 Wiper problems Scott BMW 7 January 2nd 05 12:49 AM
Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 01:50 PM
E36 Windshield Wiper assembly Gabe Knuth BMW 2 December 2nd 04 05:14 PM
E30 Windshield Wiper Motor/Switch? ballzo BMW 0 October 16th 04 02:56 AM