1994 BMW 520 Auto - engine won't start properly

Old August 23rd 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ste

Default 1994 BMW 520 Auto - engine won't start properly

Hi
Today after a about half a dozen short runs - it has been thrashed on
those runs too - my BMW is now refusing to start properly.

It does crank, and can just about sustain itself at low revs (i.e.
below the normal idle) for about 5 seconds before it starts to struggle
further and then revs gradually drop until it stalls. Any pressure on
the accelerator stalls the engine immediately.

I'm not sure whether it's relevant, but there has been an intermittent
fuel smell from the car since I've had it (a few months). Economy has
consistently left something to be desired. In the last few days
however, economy seems to have hit rock bottom and there has been a
persistent smell of fuel both inside the car while driving, and outside
the car after parking up.

My guess is that it's something related to the fuel system, but can
anyone confirm what the exact problem(s) could be?

Old August 23rd 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Ste" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi
> Today after a about half a dozen short runs - it has been thrashed on
> those runs too - my BMW is now refusing to start properly.
>
> It does crank, and can just about sustain itself at low revs (i.e.
> below the normal idle) for about 5 seconds before it starts to struggle
> further and then revs gradually drop until it stalls. Any pressure on
> the accelerator stalls the engine immediately.
>
> I'm not sure whether it's relevant, but there has been an intermittent
> fuel smell from the car since I've had it (a few months). Economy has
> consistently left something to be desired. In the last few days
> however, economy seems to have hit rock bottom and there has been a
> persistent smell of fuel both inside the car while driving, and outside
> the car after parking up.
>
> My guess is that it's something related to the fuel system, but can
> anyone confirm what the exact problem(s) could be?

Look for a potato that some kid has stuffed up the exhaust.

Old August 27th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Enoch Root

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:10:24 -0700, Ste wrote:

> Hi
> Today after a about half a dozen short runs - it has been thrashed on
> those runs too - my BMW is now refusing to start properly.
>
> It does crank, and can just about sustain itself at low revs (i.e.
> below the normal idle) for about 5 seconds before it starts to struggle
> further and then revs gradually drop until it stalls. Any pressure on
> the accelerator stalls the engine immediately.
>
> I'm not sure whether it's relevant, but there has been an intermittent
> fuel smell from the car since I've had it (a few months). Economy has
> consistently left something to be desired. In the last few days
> however, economy seems to have hit rock bottom and there has been a
> persistent smell of fuel both inside the car while driving, and outside
> the car after parking up.
>
> My guess is that it's something related to the fuel system, but can
> anyone confirm what the exact problem(s) could be?

Hi,

The Idle Control Valve(ICV) gets dirty and needs to be cleaned or
replaced. Next in line is the Mass Air Flow meter(MAF). Then after that
are the 02 sensors. And next is the ignition coils and their spark plug
counterparts. www.bmaparts.com or www.bavauto.com for your parts- try to
get OEM where possible.

So, those are the steps to fixing whats wrong, but it's just a guess. You
need to get the error codes from the ECU read by a code reader. Either
your BMW CCA club will have a reader you can borrow or a BMW independent
mechanic can read it for you. Don't go to a BMW dealer for this. You are
in a perfect position to get screwed with your issue. Best of Luck.

ER

Old August 27th 06, 07:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ste

Enoch Root wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:10:24 -0700, Ste wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Today after a about half a dozen short runs - it has been thrashed on
> > those runs too - my BMW is now refusing to start properly.
> >
> > It does crank, and can just about sustain itself at low revs (i.e.
> > below the normal idle) for about 5 seconds before it starts to struggle
> > further and then revs gradually drop until it stalls. Any pressure on
> > the accelerator stalls the engine immediately.
> >
> > I'm not sure whether it's relevant, but there has been an intermittent
> > fuel smell from the car since I've had it (a few months). Economy has
> > consistently left something to be desired. In the last few days
> > however, economy seems to have hit rock bottom and there has been a
> > persistent smell of fuel both inside the car while driving, and outside
> > the car after parking up.
> >
> > My guess is that it's something related to the fuel system, but can
> > anyone confirm what the exact problem(s) could be?

> Hi,
>
> The Idle Control Valve(ICV) gets dirty and needs to be cleaned or
> replaced. Next in line is the Mass Air Flow meter(MAF). Then after that
> are the 02 sensors. And next is the ignition coils and their spark plug
> counterparts. www.bmaparts.com or www.bavauto.com for your parts- try to
> get OEM where possible.
>
> So, those are the steps to fixing whats wrong, but it's just a guess. You
> need to get the error codes from the ECU read by a code reader. Either
> your BMW CCA club will have a reader you can borrow or a BMW independent
> mechanic can read it for you. Don't go to a BMW dealer for this. You are
> in a perfect position to get screwed with your issue. Best of Luck.
>
> ER

Thanks for your suggestions. On further investigation, it seems there
is no power to the fuel pump - either with the ignition turned on, or
while actually cranking the engine.

>From a logical point of view, I imagine that rules out the ICV, the O2

sensors, and the spark plugs.

I'm also under the impression that fuel pumps are supposed to start up
momentarily when you turn the ignition on (before cranking the engine),
in expectation of starting the engine. As I say, there is no power
whatsoever to the fuel pump under any circumstance, so do I also assume
that the MAF is ruled out? If not, how might I go about establishing
whether the MAF is working?

It also seems to me that the problem is more likely than not
electrical. I've checked the relevant fuses. I'm also under the
impression there are various relays that may need to be checked, but
I'm unable to identify the relevant relays nor find information on how
I might be able to check their functioning.

If you'd be able to help me any further on these questions I'd be very
grateful.

Old August 27th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Ste" > wrote
> Enoch Root wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:10:24 -0700, Ste wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions. On further investigation, it seems there
> is no power to the fuel pump - either with the ignition turned on, or
> while actually cranking the engine.

Fuel pump relay. Not sure where it is in a 520i right hand drive.

FloydR

Old August 30th 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ste

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> "Ste" > wrote
> > Enoch Root wrote:
> >> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:10:24 -0700, Ste wrote:

> > Thanks for your suggestions. On further investigation, it seems there
> > is no power to the fuel pump - either with the ignition turned on, or
> > while actually cranking the engine.

> Fuel pump relay. Not sure where it is in a 520i right hand drive.
>
> FloydR

As I said, I'm not aware of the location of the relay, nor how to test
the relay if indeed I was able to find it. Surely someone here must
know...