Timing belt: did you change it, did it break on you?

Old June 26th 05, 05:54 AM
Kiran

Default Timing belt: did you change it, did it break on you?

This is inspired by the other thread. For Camry owners especially (but
feel free to answer if you have another model, just name it):

1. Did your timing belt break on you? At how many miles? Did you get
warning (strange noises) or was it a sudden surprise?

2. Did you change it on your own, before it broke? Again, at how many
miles?

Kiran
Old June 26th 05, 11:38 AM
Rich Lockyer

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:54:30 GMT, Kiran > wrote:

>1. Did your timing belt break on you? At how many miles? Did you get
>warning (strange noises) or was it a sudden surprise?

I've had four timing belts go... a Pinto, twice in a '91 Escort, and
once in a '90 Geo Storm.
In all but one case, it was either at startup, or when hitting the gas
to leave a green light with no warning. In one case, the engine
started to lose power, then the trans started downshifting out of
overdrive. About 10 miles later it died and would not restart.

I don't know if the Pinto was "hurt"... we dumped it without fixing
it. The Escort and Geo were not damaged by the failure.

--- Rich
http://richlockyer.tripod.com/
Old June 26th 05, 01:46 PM
Hachiroku

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:54:30 +0000, Kiran wrote:

> This is inspired by the other thread. For Camry owners especially (but
> feel free to answer if you have another model, just name it):
>
> 1. Did your timing belt break on you? At how many miles? Did you get
> warning (strange noises) or was it a sudden surprise?

Maintenance? What's maintenance?

TWICE!!! 120,000 miles each time. '85 Corolla GTS, Non-Interference (thank
God!)

> 2. Did you change it on your own, before it broke? Again, at how many
> miles?

I haven't got that much time. It took the dealer 1.5 hours, with all the
tools and a lift; it's a Twin Cam to boot. Would have taken me prolly 6
hours. My time's more valuable than that. Last change was $225.

Old June 26th 05, 01:51 PM
Hopkins

The belt in my '93 Camry was changed at about 65,000 miles. I'd just
bought the car a few thousand miles prior -- I asked the mechanic to
toss the old one in the trunk. It looked almost new to me and the mech
said "yeah it's good".

I'm at about 70,000 miles on that new belt -- I'll worry about it in
another 20,000.

Old June 26th 05, 02:29 PM
Stan Weiss

Kiran wrote:

> This is inspired by the other thread. For Camry owners especially (but
> feel free to answer if you have another model, just name it):
>
> 1. Did your timing belt break on you? At how many miles? Did you get
> warning (strange noises) or was it a sudden surprise?

'92 Geo Tracker, just died from broken belt at 145,521 miles. It took me
as long to get all of the small piece of the broken belt cleaned up as
to change the belt. Was still running at 197978 when I got a different
vehicle.
Stan

Old June 26th 05, 02:59 PM
Daniel

Gen. III, timing belt replacement interval: 60,000 miles. If you change
them at the recommended interval, they don't break.
Did my own work.
Found several errors and damagae inflicted by prior mechanics.
Copy of my own records follows: (by the way, I learned to do this by
reading online groups and the service manuals. When I first purchased
the car, didn't even know how to change the air filter element)

Major Servicing: 120,124 miles:
Replace: timing belt, crankshaft oil seal, oil pump oil seal, oil pump
O-ring, camshaft oil seal, idler bearing, idler tensioner bearing,
timing cover gasket set, valve cover gasket, ck valve clearances, PCV
valve, PCV valve grommet, oil cap gasket, distributor O-ring,
distributor cap, rotor, distributor packing, spark plug wires, spark
plugs, fuel filter, air filter, ck. battery, oil pan gasket,
transmission pan gasket, water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, gas cap,
differential service, engine moving control rod, accessory drive belts:
power steering pump, A/C - alternator, alternator brushes, ck. chassis
mounting bolt torque, set ignition timing
-----------
Try pricing that list at the dealer, and then see if it's worth your
time.
With a few special tools, and most importantly the right attitude, the
process can flow smoothly and be rewarding and enjoyable. If you take
your time and do it right, there's a certain trust and satisfacton that
results in knowing all is as it should be.

Old June 26th 05, 07:05 PM
Ajanta

Daniel > wrote:

: Gen. III, timing belt replacement interval: 60,000 miles. If you change
: them at the recommended interval, they don't break.
: Did my own work.
: Found several errors and damagae inflicted by prior mechanics.
: Copy of my own records follows: (by the way, I learned to do this by
: reading online groups and the service manuals. When I first purchased
: the car, didn't even know how to change the air filter element)

I am inspired to try, at least for small things: I am an apartment
dweller, there is no convenient place to store tools or do work.

I'll start with air filters and spark plugs. They are due. That will
take care of tune up. :-)

Which manual do you recommend, Hays or Chilton? (98 Camry)
Old June 26th 05, 07:16 PM
Ajanta

JazzMan > wrote:

: My personal opinion is that critical internal
: motor parts should be designed to last the life of the motor,
: not be routine maintenance items that upon failure will
: damage the motor beyond economical repair.

I agree, but must say I haven't chosen my cars with this
in mind, only by overall reputation (after nameless student
cars, first Corollas, then Camry's).

They say that at one time Rolls Royce used to come with
sealed engine, with no maintenance ever needed by owner.
Old June 26th 05, 07:35 PM
SnoMan

"Kiran" wrote:
>This is inspired by the other thread. For Camry owners especially

(but
>feel free to answer if you have another model, just name it):
>
>1. Did your timing belt break on you? At how many miles? Did you get
>warning (strange noises) or was it a sudden surprise?
>
>2. Did you change it on your own, before it broke? Again, at how many
>miles?
>
>Kiran

My 4cyl 91 Camary’s orginal timing belt lasted 185,000 miles and I
changed it. It was not broken or giving me any problems but I was
getting a bit nervous about it. When I took it off it was steched a
like bit but not starting to break or fray. The new belt caused me
more trouble than the old one in that I tensiond it as directed and
even checked it for breakin stretch but it still loosened up enough at
300 miles that it jumped time one tooth and I had to reset and
retension it. After that I had no more problems until car was
totalled at 220k though engine still ran after that. I even used a
Dayco belt on it and it still stretched a good bit during breakin.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Toyota-Tim...ict126216.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=615219
Old June 26th 05, 07:38 PM
hachiroku

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:05:52 +0000, Ajanta wrote:

> Daniel > wrote:
>
> : Gen. III, timing belt replacement interval: 60,000 miles. If you change
> : them at the recommended interval, they don't break.
> : Did my own work.
> : Found several errors and damagae inflicted by prior mechanics.
> : Copy of my own records follows: (by the way, I learned to do this by
> : reading online groups and the service manuals. When I first purchased
> : the car, didn't even know how to change the air filter element)
>
> I am inspired to try, at least for small things: I am an apartment
> dweller, there is no convenient place to store tools or do work.
>
> I'll start with air filters and spark plugs. They are due. That will
> take care of tune up. :-)
>
> Which manual do you recommend, Hays or Chilton? (98 Camry)

Both. They both have strong and weak points. My experience is that a weak
point in one is covered better in the other.