finding short circuit

Old July 25th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

Default finding short circuit

the fuse for the circuit powering the tach oil & temp gauge in
my 94 has blown three times this week. any hints as to where to look
first to try and find the short would be greatly appreciated.

on the plus side, i've gotten pretty good at replacing the fuse by
touch.

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"
Old July 25th 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

I'd be looking for sharp edges that the wiring passes over, or is bundled
and clamped to.
Unfortunately, most are under the dash.

Old July 27th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ephar[_2_]

Just curious but do you lose your dash lights also?
I tied power for my mp3 player into the power antenna connector in the trunk
and whenever I'd turn on the lights I'd lose all my guages.
Ephar & Bambi
'92 Classic Red 'A'
Old July 28th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:27:21 GMT, "Ephar" > wrote:

>Just curious but do you lose your dash lights also?

no, just the gauge cluster

>I tied power for my mp3 player into the power antenna connector in the trunk
>and whenever I'd turn on the lights I'd lose all my guages.

that seems like an odd choice for your power source, assuming that
you've got a switch that powers up said unit (and it's not a big deal
to run a wire from the stereo unit to the trunk) and you can tap
right into the battery (with a fuse in between, of course)...

> Ephar & Bambi
> '92 Classic Red 'A'

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"
Old August 19th 09, 08:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:59:34 -0400, "Chuck" > wrote:

>I'd be looking for sharp edges that the wiring passes over, or is bundled
>and clamped to.
>Unfortunately, most are under the dash.
>
>"barry" > wrote in message
.. .
>> the fuse for the circuit powering the tach oil & temp gauge in
>> my 94 has blown three times this week. any hints as to where to look
>> first to try and find the short would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> on the plus side, i've gotten pretty good at replacing the fuse by
>> touch.
>>
>> --------
>> "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

went and got a wiring schematic but never could find the problem. at
first i thought it might have been an aftermarket alarm that was added
and subsequently removed. but i split out the circuits for the gauges
and put them on their own fuse. so now if the fuse blows i'll only
lose the turn signals (no rear defogger, etc.) and i can still use
hand signals.
i was going to split out the turn signals also, but the wiring is
different than most cars that split out the power for turn signals and
the emergency blinkers. if i lose the gauges now, i can concentrate on
that wiring.

one casuality though, the brittleness of the plastic combined with a
recalcitrant clip caused a part of the meter hood to break off. but
it's patched with a symmetric piece to make it look like part of the
hood design.

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

2003 A6 Short Circuit? DanP Audi 4 February 10th 08 10:42 PM
nasty short circuit Eyal VW water cooled 3 January 10th 08 05:47 PM
318i short circuit cowznofsky BMW 0 October 25th 07 01:28 PM
finding a short circuit [email protected] General 2 December 17th 05 11:22 PM
short circuit? *selah* Ford Explorer 10 November 22nd 04 04:49 PM