Salvage Registration

Old December 29th 04, 11:58 PM

Default Salvage Registration

Hi all,

I just recently purchase a car from a salvage auction. They did not
give me any plates or tags. I noticed to register the car you must get
a smog, brake and lamp inspection, and CHP inspection. Is there
anything I can get as a temporary moving permit to get these tasks
done? Thanks.

John

Old December 30th 04, 12:25 AM
el Diablo

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I just recently purchase a car from a salvage auction. They did not
> give me any plates or tags. I noticed to register the car you must get
> a smog, brake and lamp inspection, and CHP inspection. Is there
> anything I can get as a temporary moving permit to get these tasks
> done? Thanks.
>
> John

Call the bureau of motor vehicles in your state. They can tell you.

Brian

Old December 30th 04, 02:10 AM
Steve W.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I just recently purchase a car from a salvage auction. They did not
> give me any plates or tags. I noticed to register the car you must

get
> a smog, brake and lamp inspection, and CHP inspection. Is there
> anything I can get as a temporary moving permit to get these tasks
> done? Thanks.
>
> John

Since I infer from your post you are in California. You have to haul it
in for inspection before they will issue ANYTHING. It will then receive
a Revived Salvage Vehicle title IF it passes. No temp. tags or anything
else. That is the same as NY in that regard. Oh and when they say to get
receipts for EVERY part used they mean EVERY PART. I know of someone who
used a steering column out of a car that I was junking. No receipt for
it and the inspectors went nuts. I ended up going up there and showing
them the receipt from the salvage yard for the vehicle and the copy of
the registration and signing a statement that I had provided than part
and that it was not stolen.

A revived salvage vehicle is one that was reported by the owner or
insurance company as a total loss and has been restored to operational
condition. For information on revived junked vehicles click here.

What Do I Do First?

Be sure you have bills of sale for all the major and minor parts used in
the reconstruction of your vehicle. These documents should identify:

The part purchased.
The year, make, model, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the
vehicle from which the parts were removed.
The name, address, telephone number, signature, and driver license,
identification card, Social Security card, or Federal Employer
Identification number of the person from whom you bought or acquired the
part.

What Do I Need to Do?
You must submit an Application for Registration (REG 343) containing a
Vehicle Construction Statement and signed by all listed owners.
Additional requirements are as follows:

First, to prove your ownership of the vehicle, you must have one of the
following:
Salvage Certificate or an application for duplicate endorsed for
transfer to your name.
Bills of Sale from each seller to complete chain of vehicle ownership,
if the Salvage Certificate was not signed.

Vehicle Inspection
Revived salvage vehicles are required to be inspected by the DMV or the
California Highway Patrol (CHP) before DMV can issue title and
registration. When the CHP does an inspection you must bring the bills
of sale and proof of ownership previously discussed to the inspection
appointment for review by the inspection officer. CHP conducts
inspections by appointment only.

The vehicle verification is done by the CHP upon referral from DMV.
There is a total loss salvage vehicles and dismantler vehicles
inspection fee which must be paid to the DMV before you will be referred
for verification. When a new title is issued, it will contain a notation
identifying the vehicle as a salvage vehicle.

NOTE: Vehicles being presented for inspection that were originally
manufactured with a supplemental restraint system (air bags) need to be
equipped with air bags in good working order which meet applicable
federal motor vehicle safety standards and conform to the manufacturer's
specifications for that vehicle.

Smog Certification
When the vehicle is being transferred to you as the new owner, smog
certification from an official smog inspection station maybe required.

If your vehicle was reported as a total loss, and you are now
re-registering it, and registration renewal fees are due, biennial smog
rules may also apply.

Brake and Light Inspection Certificates
Your vehicle must also pass brake and light adjustment inspections.
Check the yellow pages of your telephone directory or business guide for
state-licensed brake and light inspection stations. The inspection
certificates they issue for your vehicle are part of the paperwork
required for registration. Certificates are not required for trailers
weighing under 3,000 pound gross vehicle weight.

Exception: When an official brake and light station that inspects
specific vehicles such as motorcycles or large commercial vehicles is
not located within a reasonable distance, the Department of Motor
Vehicles will accept a Miscellaneous Statements of Fact (REG 256) from a
repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working
order.

Weight Certificate
A California public weighmaster's certificate of the vehicle's unladen
or empty weight is required for trucks and pickups. This certificate may
be obtained from many moving and storage companies for a nominal fee.
Check your local telephone directory for the public weighmasters nearest
you.

A weight certificate is not required for:
Commercial motor vehicles with empty or unladen weight of 6,000 pounds
or less where the weight is indicated on an out-of-state salvage
certificate or registration and the vehicle has not been modified so as
to change the weight.
Motor vehicles previously registered in California, if the vehicle has
not been modified so as to change the weight.
Trailers.

Fees That May Be Due

The amount of money you will have to pay to register the vehicle depends
on a variety of factors. The types of fees which may be collected a

Inspection Fee This is a required fee for re-registration of salvaged
vehicles.

Registration Fee

Vehicle License Fee The VLF was established by the Legislature in 1935
in lieu of a property tax on vehicles. The formula for VLF assessment
established by the Legislature is based upon the purchase price of the
vehicle or the value of the vehicle when acquired. The VLF decreases
with each renewal for the first 11 years.

Weight Fee Assessed on pickups with an unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. or
less, and commercial motor vehicles with gross operating weight under
10,001 lbs. This fee is based on the empty or unladen weight.

CVRA Fee Assessed on commercial motor vehicles (including pickups with
an unladen weight of 8,001 lbs. or more) with an operating weight of
10,001 lbs. or more. This fee is based on the motor vehicle gross
vehicle weight (GVW), or combined gross vehicle weight (CGW). Tow trucks
used to assist the motoring public or to tow or carry impounded vehicles
are subject to CVRA fees. The tow truck's declared weight shall be based
on its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), not a combined gross vehicle
weight.

CTIP Fee Per Registration Year. Commercial motor vehicles operating at
10,001 lbs. or more are assessed a Cargo Theft Interdiction Program
(CTIP) fee. This fee is not due for pickups, tow trucks, or vehicles
used solely to transport persons for hire, such as ambulances, buses,
electric-powered vehicles, limousines, taxis, or some vans. This fee is
used by the California Highway Patrol to recover stolen cargo and
promote security for commercially registered vehicles.

Use Tax Collected at the same rate as your California county of
residence sales tax. It is due on all vehicles purchased in California
and those brought into this state. Existing law imposes a use tax on a
vehicle purchased outside of California and brought into California
within 90 days of purchase. New legislation effective October 1, 2004
through July 1, 2006 requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased
outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the
purchase date.

Reflectorized License Plate Fee

California Highway Patrol Fee

County Fees Collected at the request of your California county of
residence for special programs.

Service Fees Nonresident Service Fee. This fee is not assessed on PTI
Trailers.

Prior History Fee The department marks the vehicle record to indicate
the vehicle was a prior salvage.

Penalties California - registered vehicles accrue penalties immediately
upon expiration of the registration or Planned Non-Operation status.
Fees for new or nonresident vehicles with no evidence of registration
are due on the date of sale shown on the Salvage Certificate. If a new
or nonresident vehicle had valid registration on the date of loss, fees
become due with the first known operation after the sale date shown on
the Salvage Certificate. Penalties accrue if these fees are not paid
within 20 days of the due date.

CHP Inspection Appointment Scheduling

CHP inspections will not be conducted without an appointment, so please
call one of the offices listed below in the county where you are located
to set the appointment date and time. These addresses are for
appointment scheduling and may not be the actual inspection site.

CHP Inspection Appointment Numbers

Northern Division
2485 Sonoma Street
Redding, CA 96001-3026
Phone: (530) 225-2120

Valley Division
11336 Trade Center Drive
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-0640
Phone: (916) 464-2566

Golden Gate Division
1551 Benicia Road
Vallejo, CA 94951-7568
Phone: (510) 622-4611

Central Division
5179 N. Gates Avenue
Fresno, CA 93722-6414
Phone: (559) 488-4053

Coastal Division
4115 Broad Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401-7963
Phone: (805) 549-3006

Inland Division
847 E. Brier Drive
San Bernardino, CA 92408-2820
Phone: (909) 383-4018

Border Division
1722 East Main Street
El Cajon, CA 92021
Phone: (619) 401-2000

13200 Golden West Street
Westminster, CA 92683
Phone: (714) 892-4426

2335 Enrico Fermi Drive
San Diego, CA 92154
Phone: (858) 492-1745

Southern Division
Torrance Phone: (313) 516-3355
Monterey Park Phone: (323) 980-4600
Woodland Hills Phone: (818) 888-0980

--------

--
Steve Williams

salvage car cornel Antique cars 0 October 30th 04 08:38 PM
salvage car cornel Antique cars 0 October 30th 04 08:38 PM
Sound of a Corvette, leaving registration area Bob Alan Corvette 0 October 4th 04 02:24 PM
Arizona Antique Car Registration Process Luke Antique cars 0 January 5th 04 01:50 AM