What's new S4 Auto owners getting for fuel economy??

Old December 21st 04, 01:29 AM
quattroA4cars

Default What's new S4 Auto owners getting for fuel economy??

As the title states. I'm considering purchasing a new V8 S4 with Auto. But
I've been hearing that the fuel economy is very bad. The auto is epa rated
at 18 and 25. Just wanted to know how far off those numbers are.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:59 PM
Charlie Giannetto

In article >,
quattroA4cars > wrote:
>As the title states. I'm considering purchasing a new V8 S4 with Auto. But
>I've been hearing that the fuel economy is very bad. The auto is epa rated
>at 18 and 25. Just wanted to know how far off those numbers are.

Probably not far off at all and might even be fairly optimistic
depending on how you drive the car. I've got a 04 S4 MT6, which does
rate slightly lower than the auto due to the transmission gearing (15/21
I believe) and I don't get much more than 15 mpg for local driving.
Bottom line is, if you're concerned about fuel economy, don't buy an S4.

- Charlie

Old December 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
Pete

"quattroA4cars" wrote
> As the title states. I'm considering purchasing a new V8 S4 with Auto.
> But I've been hearing that the fuel economy is very bad.

If you're worried about fuel economy, you should not be buying a V8 in
the first place. If can afford a new S4, you can also affor the gas.
And if you can't afford the gas, perhaps you can't afford a new S4
either.

And please don't tell me you're in the US, where the gas costs half of
what it costs in other countries...

Sorry, but posts like this crack me up.

Cheers,

Pete

Old December 22nd 04, 09:01 PM
Dan Koren

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "quattroA4cars" wrote
> > As the title states. I'm considering purchasing a new V8 S4 with Auto.
> > But I've been hearing that the fuel economy is very bad.

> If you're worried about fuel economy, you should not be buying a V8 in
> the first place. If can afford a new S4, you can also affor the gas.
> And if you can't afford the gas, perhaps you can't afford a new S4
> either.
>
> And please don't tell me you're in the US, where the gas costs half of
> what it costs in other countries...
>
> Sorry, but posts like this crack me up.

Do earlier 2.7L V6 twin turbo S4's have
better fuel efficiency? (note I did not
say "economy"!).

Thanks,

dk

Old December 22nd 04, 10:04 PM
Pete

"Dan Koren"
> Do earlier 2.7L V6 twin turbo S4's have
> better fuel efficiency? (note I did not
> say "economy"!).

It all depends on how heavy your foot is, really. B5 S4 is a bit
lighter, so it may get slightly better gas mileage, but the turbos like
to guzzle gas nonetheless. Heck, my 1.8TQ only gets about 19 mpg around
town.

Cheers,

Pete

Old December 22nd 04, 10:57 PM
Andy Turner

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:01:20 -0500, "Dan Koren" >
wrote:

>Do earlier 2.7L V6 twin turbo S4's have
>better fuel efficiency? (note I did not
>say "economy"!).

I drive the biturbo, but have had an hour's testdrive in the V8. I
reset most things before I set off (and again when I returned it!!),
and it seemed to return a lower MPG - more so than I'd have expected,
I pretty much caned it as much as I normally do!

andyt

Old December 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
quattroA4cars

Pete, I can afford both the car and the fuel. Not to sound like a tree
hugger, but I do have some concerns for the global ecology as well as our
counties dependency on foreign oil. Yes, I'm in the US. I've been driving
BMW sixes and lately have two VW/Audi 1.8t. Hell, I've not driven a car
since the early eighties that has gotten on average, less than 20mpg. So I
want to remain in that range.

Hey, I was looking for numbers, not some dumb ass remarks. If the car gets
what it's advertised at, I'm all in. But if, as my original question stated,
the numbers are way off, then I'll pass. That's all I was looking for.

Sorry, but dump ass responses like yours really crack ME up!!!

Glenn

Old December 23rd 04, 01:40 AM
Pete

"quattroA4cars" wrote
> Pete, I can afford both the car and the fuel. Not to sound like a tree
> hugger, but I do have some concerns for the global ecology as well as
> our counties dependency on foreign oil.

Once again, don't buy a V8 then. Get an electric car or a hybrid.

> Sorry, but dump ass responses like yours really crack ME up!!!

It's amazing what you can do with google if you only try:
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/23989.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/36823.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/35348.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/57575.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/62691.phtml

Cheers,

Pete

Old December 23rd 04, 05:44 AM
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

I hate this analogy.

So if I have a V8 engine and getting 5mpg I shouldn't be concerned? Because
it's a V8 and I should have known better?

What about asking the question just to make sure that the car is getting
what the average prudent driver is getting?

How many questions is he limit on an online forum?

--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net
"Doug Warner" > wrote in message
news "Pete" > wrote:

>If you're worried about fuel economy, you should not be buying a V8 in
>the first place. If can afford a new S4, you can also affor the gas.
>And if you can't afford the gas, perhaps you can't afford a new S4
>either.

It's not about affording the gas, it's about wasting it. 15 MPG is
ridiculous, especially for a smaller car..

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Old December 23rd 04, 04:30 PM
Autobahn97

quattroA4cars wrote:
> As the title states. I'm considering purchasing a new V8 S4 with Auto. But
> I've been hearing that the fuel economy is very bad. The auto is epa rated
> at 18 and 25. Just wanted to know how far off those numbers are.

I have a 2004 S4 6 speed and drive mostly city at 12-13 Mpg. Hwy
driving at 80Mph is more about 18Mpg. I can't seem to drive slower for
better millage because it feels like I am standing still plus the car is
such a joy to drive on the open road. If you set the cruise control you
will gt better millage and I hear that the auto transmission gets a bit
better hwy milage due to a higher final drive ratio. Honestly I was a
bit disappointed with the milage but didn't buy the car as a economy
vehicle. Hope this helps