HELP

Old March 26th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
bigwaverider

Default HELP

This is the deal. I had the emergency brake on on my truck because my
driveway has a slant to it. I went to go and leave so I released the
emergency brake and then turned my car on. I then put the car in reverse
so that I could leave. The truck wouldn't move. I tried it in drive. The
truck wouldn't move. I put it in neutral and it still wouldn't go
anywhere. The speedomoter wouldn't even move. What do I do? I need answers
quick.

Old March 26th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Well, if you need answers quick, perhaps you can provide some details: what
kind of truck it is, year, mileage, engine size, automatic or manual, 2 or 4
wheel drive? You know, the basics...

"bigwaverider" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...

The speedomoter wouldn't even move. What do I do? I need answer quick.

Old March 26th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"bigwaverider" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> This is the deal. I had the emergency brake on on my truck because my
> driveway has a slant to it. I went to go and leave so I released the
> emergency brake and then turned my car on. I then put the car in reverse
> so that I could leave. The truck wouldn't move. I tried it in drive. The
> truck wouldn't move. I put it in neutral and it still wouldn't go
> anywhere. The speedomoter wouldn't even move. What do I do? I need answers
> quick.

If it's an automatic transmission I'd try pushing it forward a little. The
trans may have locked up. I always put mine in gear before releasing the
parking brake.

Old March 26th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ron & Maggie

Sounds as if your emergency brake cable is rusted and frozen in place.
Try a little diesel fuel, WD40 or any other type of low visc solvent on
your cables, one on each side connected to the backing plate of the rear
brake. Apply than reapply your parking brake tell they are free. If this
fails you may have to remove the rear wheels, not 100% necessary, than
use vice grips or what ever works to free up your rusted cables. At some
point you will need to replace those rusted cables.

Good luck,

Ron

Old March 27th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Trefor[_2_]

Good advice, but be VERY careful if you jack the truck up on a steep
driveway.
Make sure all wheels that remain on the ground are securely chocked with
wooden blocks or similar.
Try not to lift both back wheels at the same time, Seems obvious I know, but
it has been known for experienced home mechanics to overlook the fact that
the handbrake will not be effective if both rear wheels are off the ground

Trefor

.. .

Old March 27th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Darby[_2_]

"Trefor" > wrote in message
> Good advice, but be VERY careful if you jack the truck up on a steep
> driveway.
> Make sure all wheels that remain on the ground are securely chocked with
> wooden blocks or similar.
> Try not to lift both back wheels at the same time, Seems obvious I know,
> but it has been known for experienced home mechanics to overlook the fact
> that the handbrake will not be effective if both rear wheels are off the
> ground
>
> Trefor
>

> "Ron & Maggie" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> Sounds as if your emergency brake cable is rusted and frozen in place.
>> Try a little diesel fuel, WD40 or any other type of low visc solvent on
>> your cables, one on each side connected to the backing plate of the rear
>> brake. Apply than reapply your parking brake tell they are free. If this
>> fails you may have to remove the rear wheels, not 100% necessary, than
>> use vice grips or what ever works to free up your rusted cables. At some
>> point you will need to replace those rusted cables.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>

>> Ron

This would have been good info two days ago when he posted in a big hurry.
The guys probably dead by now. Trapped under his own back wheels in his
nice steep driveway. LOL

Old March 27th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Trefor[_2_]

I bet you're a riot at parties Darby
ROFL

Trefor