96 EB heater woes

Old March 22nd 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 96 EB heater woes

My heater will only come on if the outside temp reads 60 degrees or
more on the overhead console, and then it doesn't come on every time.
I looked through past posts but didn't find anything like this
although the "blend door" problems sound somewhat similar. Is there a
tie in between the temp sensor and the heater dontrol?

Old March 23rd 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

"Heater doesn't come on...."... do we mean that the fan doesn't blow or
what?

ups.com...

Old March 23rd 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 11:58 pm, "Jim Warman" > wrote:
> "Heater doesn't come on...."... do we mean that the fan doesn't blow or
> what?
>
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > My heater will only come on if the outside temp reads 60 degrees or
> > more on the overhead console, and then it doesn't come on every time.
> > I looked through past posts but didn't find anything like this
> > although the "blend door" problems sound somewhat similar. Is there a
> > tie in between the temp sensor and the heater dontrol?- Hide quoted text -

No fan, but I can feel a little heat coming out of the defrost vent, I
think. When the temp outside gets above 60 then everything works fine.
Hot air blowing to beat all hell. Of course that only helps my wife. I
don't need the heater by that time. It's a mystery.

jd

Old March 24th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

This may be the sign of a dying blower motor. With the car running and the
heater turned on (when the concern is present), give the blower motor a firm
rap.... If it starts up, there is a problem with the brushes or commutator.

Old March 24th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mike Iglesias

In article <Me1Nh.3981$6z3.2701@edtnps82>,
Jim Warman > wrote:
>This may be the sign of a dying blower motor. With the car running and the
>heater turned on (when the concern is present), give the blower motor a firm
>rap.... If it starts up, there is a problem with the brushes or commutator.

Does the 96 have the a fan relay like the 94s? I had a problem in my
94 Explorer with the fan not running sometimes. Hitting the relay
when the blower would not run would make it start up, and replacing
the relay fixed it.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Old March 26th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

On Mar 24, 12:14 am, (Mike Iglesias) wrote:
> In article <Me1Nh.3981$6z3.2701@edtnps82>,
>
> Jim Warman > wrote:
> >This may be the sign of a dying blower motor. With the car running and the
> >heater turned on (when the concern is present), give the blower motor a firm
> >rap.... If it starts up, there is a problem with the brushes or commutator.

> Does the 96 have the a fan relay like the 94s? I had a problem in my
> 94 Explorer with the fan not running sometimes. Hitting the relay
> when the blower would not run would make it start up, and replacing
> the relay fixed it.
>
> --
> Mike Iglesias Email:
> University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
> Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

Is this relay in the fuse/relay box located on the drivers side under
the hood, and if so which relay would it be. Or should I just give
them all a tap?

Old March 26th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

On Mar 23, 10:51 pm, "Jim Warman" > wrote:
> This may be the sign of a dying blower motor. With the car running and the
> heater turned on (when the concern is present), give the blower motor a firm
> rap.... If it starts up, there is a problem with the brushes or commutator.

This sounds reasonable. The colder it is the more relucant it would be
to start blowing. I'll give it a try and let you know.

SL2 woes. meloyellowjr Saturn 5 March 5th 07 06:56 PM
SL2 woes. meloyellowjr Saturn 1 February 19th 07 11:37 PM
SL2 woes. meloyellowjr Saturn 0 February 19th 07 08:37 PM
AOD woes Howard Nelson Ford Mustang 4 July 21st 06 04:01 AM
1996 XJ 4.0 Cherokee Heater Controls, Heater Lukewarm WildWestAZ Jeep 4 November 28th 05 11:37 PM