No 4 wheel drive........

Old March 17th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
D O A

Default No 4 wheel drive........

Went to put my 2001 ranger in 4wd last night & nothing happened, not
even the dash light. I checked the fuse in the dash but that's not the
problem. any ideas?

thanks......

Old March 17th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"D O A" > wrote in message
> Went to put my 2001 ranger in 4wd last night & nothing happened, not
> even the dash light. I checked the fuse in the dash but that's not the
> problem. any ideas?
>
> thanks......

On the early Explorers (and probably the same on Rangers) the servo motor on
the transfer case was usually the culprit. Tap on it gently with a small
hammer while someone is pushing the button and it might recover.

Old March 23rd 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Old Mechanic

On Mar 17, 9:37 am, (D O A) wrote:
> Went to put my 2001 ranger in 4wd last night & nothing happened, not
> even the dash light. I checked the fuse in the dash but that's not the
> problem. any ideas?
>
> thanks......

I have to give the shift motor on the transfer case a tap or two on my
'91 EB when it's cold. I took the motor apart and cleand and
lubricated it but it didn't seem to help for long. If I leave in in
4WD when it's parked it never freezes up.

JG

Old March 24th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 17, 9:37 am, (D O A) wrote:
> > Went to put my 2001 ranger in 4wd last night & nothing happened, not
> > even the dash light. I checked the fuse in the dash but that's not the
> > problem. any ideas?
> >
> > thanks......

> I have to give the shift motor on the transfer case a tap or two on my
> '91 EB when it's cold. I took the motor apart and cleand and
> lubricated it but it didn't seem to help for long. If I leave in in
> 4WD when it's parked it never freezes up.
>
> JG

I took mine apart too and cleaned and lubed it and it was fine every time I
pushed the button--until the time I *really* needed it! I keep a small
hammer in the truck now ;-)

Old March 31st 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Roadie[_1_]

In article >, D O A
> wrote:

> Went to put my 2001 ranger in 4wd last night & nothing happened, not
> even the dash light. I checked the fuse in the dash but that's not the
> problem. any ideas?

If your 4WD lights on the dash are proving out at start, it is probably
the motor. If not, most likely the 4WD module.

4 wheel drive problem jimmy4X4DOA 4x4 2 September 25th 07 06:47 AM
won't shift into 4 wheel drive wolfcrow Ford Explorer 0 June 13th 06 12:56 AM
all wheel drive impala stevegoodsworth via CarKB.com 4x4 1 April 18th 06 03:07 PM
3 wheel drive? rret Jeep 3 December 17th 05 04:53 AM
What 4X4 (or all wheel drive) convertibles are there? Dav 4x4 9 November 30th 05 12:55 PM