water in the oil

Old October 31st 05, 05:08 AM
villa

Default water in the oil

i have a 2002 dodge caravan 36,000miles i had the oil changed, antifreeze
put in and the car washed at a dealer...59 miles later the car is
clunking...i had it towed back to the dealer and they say i have water in
the oil that i went through a puddle and will cost thousands to repair...

Old October 31st 05, 10:29 AM
maxpower

"villa" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> i have a 2002 dodge caravan 36,000miles i had the oil changed, antifreeze
> put in and the car washed at a dealer...59 miles later the car is
> clunking...i had it towed back to the dealer and they say i have water in
> the oil that i went through a puddle and will cost thousands to repair...

You went thru a puddle???? no way. Now was the vehicle in some type of
flood?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old October 31st 05, 03:49 PM
villa

no flood at my house unless water was flowing up hill...i am a bit upset
about this because this car has always been completely maintenced by the
dealer.......at 14,000 the engine was replaced...so there is only 22,000
miles on this engine.but the car has 36,177miles exactly and they say its
not covered...they tell me there is water in the air filter, the head
gasket is not broken, now broken piston and something else..i think it was
an error on their part and they should just fix it and be done...doesn't
seem right after only 59 miles from the oil change at their
dealership....any suggestions i could use all the info i can get thanks

Old October 31st 05, 04:32 PM
Adam

probably what happend was when the dealer replaced the engine, one of their
mechanics didnt tighten somthing to specs and it loosened and caused a head
gasket to leak. The only way water got in ur engine is if it was
intenionally put there or someone went mudding in the thing, hell I've taken
my 94 spirit through some deep ass water and never got and in my air cleaner
or oil.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 31st 05, 11:20 PM
maxpower

"villa" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> no flood at my house unless water was flowing up hill...i am a bit upset
> about this because this car has always been completely maintenced by the
> dealer.......at 14,000 the engine was replaced...so there is only 22,000
> miles on this engine.but the car has 36,177miles exactly and they say its
> not covered...they tell me there is water in the air filter, the head
> gasket is not broken, now broken piston and something else..i think it was
> an error on their part and they should just fix it and be done...doesn't
> seem right after only 59 miles from the oil change at their
> dealership....any suggestions i could use all the info i can get thanks

Why was the engine replaced the first time? is this a 4 cyl? and did you
just get alot of rain before this happened?
I have seen this one other time and I personally diagnosed it as the cust
leaving the air cleaner half way off as the vehicle was parked on a hill
(front facing up the hill) during a really bad rain. The rain poured over
the hood and down on the air cleaner housing, since the housing was left
loose, the rain went into the throttle body thru the intake manifold and the
cyl with the intake valve open was filled with water.
When the cust went to crank it over the next day, the water didn't compress
and the rod bent.

since they have your vehicle now you wont be able to tell if they left the
air cleaner off when they did you oil change, possibly trying to upsell an
air filter.

My opinion

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech