1992 Chevy S10 engine swap time

Old February 28th 05, 01:04 AM
Ray

ZombyWoof wrote:

> A V8 Swap into an S-10 isn't all that much work. Matter of fact with
> a kit it is about the same amount of work as a stock engine swap.
> Complete crate motors from GM brand new or remanufactured with 3/36000
> warranties aren't all that expensive either. For example GM part #
> 12496968 is a complete pan to carb 350/330 for about $3500. A
> complete assembled long block is about $1600. For course you could
> also go with a 4.3 V6 (which really aren't cheaper) which came as an
> optional engine in an S-10.
>
> Regardless of what you do, put a rev limiter on that dumbasses
> car/truck so his driving style no longer impacts your work.

I still don't know how you can fit the 350 in there. I just changed the
valve cover gaskets on my 2.8 and there's just no room down there. I
know anything is possible, but it just doesn't look like fun to service
after.

And for crissakes, why can't GM design a valve cover that doesn't leak?
Or at least make them easy to get to like on the old cars - I had to
dismantle 1/2 the accessories to get the valve covers off. I can pull
the engine out of my race car in the time it takes to GET to the valve
covers on this thing.

Ray
Old February 28th 05, 04:04 PM
ray

ZombyWoof wrote:

>>And for crissakes, why can't GM design a valve cover that doesn't leak?
>> Or at least make them easy to get to like on the old cars - I had to
>>dismantle 1/2 the accessories to get the valve covers off. I can pull
>>the engine out of my race car in the time it takes to GET to the valve
>>covers on this thing.
>>

>>Ray
>>

> Because your race car was designed for easy engine pulls.

Duh.
(actually the race car is just a 70's Camaro.)

Have you looked under the hood of a Blazer recently? The 4.3 is
buried... you have to hunt for the plug wires under all the crap. At
least on the wife's Beretta they have the valve covers nice and
accessable. Of course, the coils are hidden but that's a tradeoff.

To change the valve cover gaskets you have to disconnect the the air
cleaner, the throttle body and injectors, pull the coil and bracket,
remove a coolant crossover tube, remove the serpentine belt and
alternator and probably more stuff that I forgot.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because it was a lot of stuff to disconnect for
what should be a simple job.

But like I said, have they finally managed to design valve covers that
don't leak and need to be changed every couple of years?

That was one of the reasons we passed on a new Blazer - I can't see
servicing that thing in 5 years as being anything but extremely difficult.

Ray
Old February 28th 05, 08:40 PM
Whitelightning

"ray" > wrote in message
>> But like I said, have they finally managed to design valve covers that

> don't leak and need to be changed every couple of years?

91 S-10 Blazer, 4.3 V-6, hit 210,000 miles saturday, valve covers never been
off, and they aren't leaking.

Whitelightning

Old March 1st 05, 05:03 PM

BOB URZ wrote:

> If the bottom end is intact, why just not machine shop the head
> and put a new head gasket on it? Should not be much more than
> a few hundred in parts and services. Some junk yards sell refurb

heads off
> the shelf with core.
>
> I don't think a quad 4 is going to be a easy or durable swap.
>
> Bob

You're probably right. I'm thinking the Quad 4 is a bad idea.

He definitely wants something different, and he wants more power as
well. And for him, junkyard engines are really cheap (he has a relative
who owns a junkyard).

Right now, we're down to:

- 4.3L V6 with automatic transmission
- 350 small block V8 with automatic transmission

And yesterday he took the Mazda RX-7 for a test drive up and down the
driveway here. He liked that. So that adds a third choice:

- Mazda 13B or turbo 13B with matching Mazda 5 speed transmission

At least with the last choice he won't be burning any more valves. I'm
not sure about the fabrication to pull that swap off, though. But it
would be something unique if it's done right.

Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming.

--

Racer X
1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT

Old March 18th 05, 09:16 AM
ozzuen

ray wrote:
> ZombyWoof wrote:
>

>>> And for crissakes, why can't GM design a valve cover that doesn't
>>> leak? Or at least make them easy to get to like on the old cars - I
>>> had to dismantle 1/2 the accessories to get the valve covers off. I
>>> can pull the engine out of my race car in the time it takes to GET to
>>> the valve covers on this thing.
>>>

>>> Ray
>>>

>> Because your race car was designed for easy engine pulls.

> Duh.
> (actually the race car is just a 70's Camaro.)
>
> Have you looked under the hood of a Blazer recently? The 4.3 is
> buried... you have to hunt for the plug wires under all the crap. At
> least on the wife's Beretta they have the valve covers nice and
> accessable. Of course, the coils are hidden but that's a tradeoff.
>
> To change the valve cover gaskets you have to disconnect the the air
> cleaner, the throttle body and injectors, pull the coil and bracket,
> remove a coolant crossover tube, remove the serpentine belt and
> alternator and probably more stuff that I forgot.
>
> Maybe I'm just grumpy because it was a lot of stuff to disconnect for
> what should be a simple job.
>
> But like I said, have they finally managed to design valve covers that
> don't leak and need to be changed every couple of years?
>
> That was one of the reasons we passed on a new Blazer - I can't see
> servicing that thing in 5 years as being anything but extremely difficult.
>
> Ray

I've got a '91 S-10 w/ a 4.3L and the plug wires on it were very easy to
get to and change.

My brother-in-law had an '87 S-10 with a 305 in it, and it wasn't really
that much harder to work on. Only thing was that the distributer was
pretty close to the firewall.

Of coarse the only difference in the block of a 4.3L and a small block
V8 is the length.
Old March 18th 05, 06:08 PM
ray

lugnut wrote:

>>I still don't know how you can fit the 350 in there. I just changed the
>>valve cover gaskets on my 2.8 and there's just no room down there. I
>>know anything is possible, but it just doesn't look like fun to service
>>after.
>>
>>Ray

> Look he
>
> http://jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8.html

I guess what I meant to say was I just don't imagine working on a
shoehorned in 350 would be a lot of fun as the engine bay is already
pretty tight around the 2.8.

I've seen a SBC in pretty much everything... but it's not always roomy.
http://jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrol...NewBody-9.html
Illustrates my point. Not a lot of room left.

But hey, I've thought that taking my wife's nice looking Beretta and
turning it into a real car would be a fun project. (putting a V8 and
rear wheel drive into it.)

I asked the guy who's fixing the frame on my racecar about it, and he
told me to buy a plasma cutter first...

Ray