Talking about Betas

Old May 3rd 05, 04:52 PM
Mermaid

Default Talking about Betas

I have an old beta that I have pampered in a large, peace lily arrangement
for about 3 years. Must be a record. Anyway, when I set up my new planted
tank, would he appreciate being in a new environment or because of his age,
do you think it would be too much for him? He might get lost in the foliage
and might not be strong enough to battle other fish. I am torn to whether
give him a retirement home or keep it the way it has been for years with the
"if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality".

What do you think?

Thanks,
Paulette

Old May 3rd 05, 07:25 PM
Elaine T

Mermaid wrote:
I have an old beta that I have pampered in a large, peace lily arrangement
for about 3 years. Must be a record. Anyway, when I set up my new planted
tank, would he appreciate being in a new environment or because of his age,
do you think it would be too much for him? He might get lost in the foliage
and might not be strong enough to battle other fish. I am torn to whether
give him a retirement home or keep it the way it has been for years with the
"if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality".

What do you think?

Thanks,
Paulette

3 years is pretty old for a betta. I'd leave him where he is - I think
the peace lily is much more of a "retirement home" than the rough and
tumble of a community tank. As you say, he'd have to compete for food
and space, the water would be moving around where he's used to still,
and there would other fish that he's not used to. Sounds pretty hard on
an old man.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old May 3rd 05, 07:52 PM
Mermaid

Elaine,
I think I agree with you. There are times when I think he is a goner then he
perks back up.
I give credits to "Beta Bites" I finally had to get him a new container
because it wouldn't float for him.
I even have him trained. I just tape on the side of the vase where the food
is and he turns and grabs it.
Amazing,
Paulette

Old May 4th 05, 02:51 AM
Angrie.Woman

"Mermaid" wrote in message
I have an old beta that I have pampered in a large, peace lily arrangement
for about 3 years. Must be a record. Anyway, when I set up my new planted
tank, would he appreciate being in a new environment or because of his
age,
do you think it would be too much for him? He might get lost in the
foliage
and might not be strong enough to battle other fish. I am torn to whether
give him a retirement home or keep it the way it has been for years with
the
"if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality".

I lost an 8 year old catfish in a move. Granted, my move was from one state
to another...

I'd leave well enough alone.

Old May 5th 05, 02:55 PM

I generally don't care for the lily vase set-up but in this case I
would have to agree with Elaine. If you've had him in there for 3 years
he is probably already between 3.5 and 4 years old. He's getting up
there in age and any changes in pH or other water parameters may cause
complications not to mention social stressors. I, personally, would let
him be if it were my choice.