Spring pack movement

Old February 22nd 05, 09:50 AM
Nate Nagel

Default Spring pack movement

The Rat wrote:

> The rear leaf springs on my vehicle seem to be moving side-to-side in the
> pack. Evidence for this is a clip (3/16" thick!) around the back of the
> pack being spread apart. How is this possible? Is there a fix?

The only way I could see this happening is if the U-bolts have become
loose somehow.

good luck

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 22nd 05, 05:12 PM
Mike Romain

That means the u-bolts are loose. I recommend a fast fix before the
center pin snaps and the axle starts moving backward and the driveshaft
falls out like happened to a friend recently.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 22nd 05, 11:56 PM
Ray

The Rat wrote:
> The rear leaf springs on my vehicle seem to be moving side-to-side in the
> pack. Evidence for this is a clip (3/16" thick!) around the back of the
> pack being spread apart. How is this possible? Is there a fix?

Do you drive like a manic?

On my dirt track Camaro, I had the same problem in the first race - the
little clamps that hold the springs in place weren't there - didn't
notice - one leaf was rubbing on the tire.

We used a BFRH* and made some homemade clips out of barstock and a bolt
to hold them in place.

Never thought to check the UBolts... but the whole rear end is coming
out shortly anyway... (changing shocks and spring bushings) so we'll
double check those...it's one of the few things I didn't break and have
to disassemble last year...

*BFRH = Big Fancy Rubber Hammer. I don't recommend hammering on springs.

btw, what kind of car?
Old February 27th 05, 03:03 PM
Mike Romain

If/when the center pin snaps, the axle can/will shift back and the
driveshaft will fall out on the ground. You can't have any movement
where the springs come together or parts like the pin will fatigue and
snap.

Are there any threads left on the main U-bolts? If the nuts are
bottomed, then you do have the wrong ones.

The last set I saw fail was tightened by a couple large people with 2'
power bars on 'used' u-bolts. Buddy then had the driveshaft fall out in
a swamp 25 miles from the nearest phone coverage while being lost in the
deep bush trying to find a camp. He was lucky and heard us on the CB so
we could track him down and show up to help.

The u-bolts were no longer any good. They had lost their temper because
they were stretched when a shop or the manufacturer installed the stock
springs. New u-bolts are cheap.....

Mike