2001 sentra se idle question

Old October 31st 05, 06:12 AM
Don

Default 2001 sentra se idle question

After my car has warmed up, and idles around 750 rpm, and I come to a full
stop, the idle is smooth for 10 seconds. Then the engine stumbles, the idle
dips down to 250 rpm for 2 seconds, almost stalls, then the idle goes back up
to 750 rpm. I have new spark plugs, spark plug cables, clean air filter, (
there is no fuel filter, except for the one inside the tank(brillant, NOT!)).
5 speed manual, and my mechanic (at a Nissan dealership) claims to have tested
the fuel pressure, and sez it's ok. He wanted to change some valve for $369,
but said he wasn't sure if that would fix the problem, so I declined. Any
ideas?
-Don

Old October 31st 05, 08:45 PM
AA

Sounds like it could the the Idle Air Control Valve. Looks like this:

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/347139.jpg

It should be located on top of or on the side of the Throttle Body. Should
be a pretty easy swap if you want to do it yourself. It will run you $134
from Napa. Sure beats the $370 at the stealership.

. ..

Old November 2nd 05, 01:38 AM
Don

Thanks for advice. I can't find anything similar to the pic on my car, though.
There doesn't seem to be a Chilton's or Haynes book out yet for my car. If I
do locate the IAC valve, could it be cleaned using carb cleaner, assuming the
solenoid works?
I miss the simplicity of my '66 beetle...unlike this car.
There's a weird black plastic hook thingy sticking out of the throttle
body/air intake area, no wires, no vac lines, no cables, doesn't go any where,
wtf could it do? Infact, it looks like a question mark.

In article >, a says...

Old November 2nd 05, 03:07 AM
AA

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7731/dsc000081vn.jpg
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9696/dsc000097tp.jpg
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2284/dsc000139ld.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3571/dsc000149xa.jpg

Check out the linked pics. I just went out and took a few of the IAC on my
girlfriend's '03 SE-R (2.5l). If the design is similar between engines, it
should look something like in the pictures. It is the finned black piece on
the back side of the throttle body. Once you find and remove it, you can try
to clean it with some carb cleaner, taking care to not "clean" the
electrical parts with the carb cleaner. It's pretty corrosive stuff for
sensitive electronics. I haven't had much luck in cleaning them out in the
past, some have though. My attempts to clean them with carb cleaner ended up
with an idle around 4k and its not the most pleasant feeling in the world
dropping it into drive at that rpm to get to the parts store for a
replacement.

Give it a shot, let us know how you work out. If you really can't find the
thing, post some pictures and I can help you locate the unit.

"Don" > wrote in message
> Thanks for advice. I can't find anything similar to the pic on my car,
> though.
> There doesn't seem to be a Chilton's or Haynes book out yet for my car. If
> do locate the IAC valve, could it be cleaned using carb cleaner, assuming
> the
> solenoid works?
> I miss the simplicity of my '66 beetle...unlike this car.
> There's a weird black plastic hook thingy sticking out of the throttle
> body/air intake area, no wires, no vac lines, no cables, doesn't go any
> where,
> wtf could it do? Infact, it looks like a question mark.
>

> In article >, a says...
>>
>>Sounds like it could the the Idle Air Control Valve. Looks like this:
>>
>>http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/347139.jpg
>>
>>It should be located on top of or on the side of the Throttle Body. Should
>>be a pretty easy swap if you want to do it yourself. It will run you $134
>>from Napa. Sure beats the $370 at the stealership.

m...

Old November 3rd 05, 12:12 AM
Don

Wow, thanks for the effort! I appreciate it. On my 2.0, the IAC seems to be
located at the bottom of the throttle body intake tube. Does anyone know if
the IAC can be tested by turning on the AC? I've read that a dip of about 100
rpm would mean malfunction of the IAC valve. I'd like to confirm this. Also,
if anyone could comment on the 10 seconds smooth idle, 2-3 second rough idle,
10 seconds smooth idle cycle.

In article >, a says...

>http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7731/dsc000081vn.jpg
>http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9696/dsc000097tp.jpg
>http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2284/dsc000139ld.jpg
>http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3571/dsc000149xa.jpg
>
>Check out the linked pics. I just went out and took a few of the IAC on my
>girlfriend's '03 SE-R (2.5l). If the design is similar between engines, it
>should look something like in the pictures. It is the finned black piece on
>the back side of the throttle body. Once you find and remove it, you can try
>to clean it with some carb cleaner, taking care to not "clean" the
>electrical parts with the carb cleaner. It's pretty corrosive stuff for
>sensitive electronics. I haven't had much luck in cleaning them out in the
>past, some have though. My attempts to clean them with carb cleaner ended up
>with an idle around 4k and its not the most pleasant feeling in the world
>dropping it into drive at that rpm to get to the parts store for a
>replacement.
>
>Give it a shot, let us know how you work out. If you really can't find the
>thing, post some pictures and I can help you locate the unit.
>
>"Don" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for advice. I can't find anything similar to the pic on my car,
>> though.
>> There doesn't seem to be a Chilton's or Haynes book out yet for my car. If
>> do locate the IAC valve, could it be cleaned using carb cleaner, assuming
>> the
>> solenoid works?
>> I miss the simplicity of my '66 beetle...unlike this car.
>> There's a weird black plastic hook thingy sticking out of the throttle
>> body/air intake area, no wires, no vac lines, no cables, doesn't go any
>> where,
>> wtf could it do? Infact, it looks like a question mark.
>>

>> In article >, a says...
>>>
>>>Sounds like it could the the Idle Air Control Valve. Looks like this:
>>>
>>>http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/347139.jpg
>>>
>>>It should be located on top of or on the side of the Throttle Body. Should
>>>be a pretty easy swap if you want to do it yourself. It will run you $134
>>>from Napa. Sure beats the $370 at the stealership.
>>>

>>>"Don" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

Idle and timing issues Joe and Joann Jeep 8 September 8th 05 07:58 PM
528 Idle question Alan BMW 6 March 25th 05 05:31 PM
Vibrates at Idle, Help Please!!! Rick Wolford Ford Explorer 9 March 4th 05 02:41 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 3/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 0 February 18th 05 06:33 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 November 16th 04 06:28 AM