Exhaust studs - How to remove?

Old June 24th 05, 01:11 AM
Karls Vladimir Peņa

Default Exhaust studs - How to remove?

Hi Ramva!

I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, and
the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without removing
the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?

Thank you all for your help.
Karls

Old June 24th 05, 02:45 AM
Anthony W

Karls Vladimir Peņa wrote:
> Hi Ramva!
>
> I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
> everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
> studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
> the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
> is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
> and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
> leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, and
> the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without removing
> the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
> Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?
>
> Thank you all for your help.
> Karls

Slip a nut over the end of the stud and weld the nut to the stud. It
doesn't matter that if there is a 5mm or so gap, a wire-feed welder will
fill that right up. After it cools, it'll come right out but you will
probably need to helicoil the hole.

Some folks like brass nuts on exhaust studs to prevent this problem.
However I like to use stainless steel nuts on exhaust studs. I still
use anti-seize compound with them and I've never had a set stick.

Tony
Old June 24th 05, 04:02 AM
MUADIBŪ

> It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts,...........

A problem we've all had from time to time Karls.

Good luck

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIBŪ

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old June 24th 05, 05:31 AM
Susan S.

Good God aren't you in a mood tonight LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!

Susan S.

news

Old June 24th 05, 09:19 AM
Jan Andersson

"Karls Vladimir Peņa" wrote:

> Hi Ramva!
>
> I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
> everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
> studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
> the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
> is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
> and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
> leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, and
> the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without removing
> the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
> Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?
>
> Thank you all for your help.
> Karls

It's fairly easy: Weld an 8mm nut (13mm head) on the remaining stub, get
it red hot and allow it to cool a little. Then turn the stud out with a
normal wrench or whatever tool you like. The heat generated in the
process should help loosen the stud too. If the nut snaps off, try
again. You can try it dozens of times. Just be careful not to weld the
aluminum around the stud. Weld won't stick to it, but it will melt it.

Jan
Old June 24th 05, 02:34 PM
Karls Vladimir Peņa

I just have an arc welder and oxy-acetilene. Can I use the arc welder there?
or is it too rough for that?

Old June 24th 05, 03:48 PM
Remco

Karls Vladimir Pe=F1a wrote:
> Hi Ramva!
>
> I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
> everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
> studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
> the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
> is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
> and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
> leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, =

and
> the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without remov=

ing
> the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
> Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?

I split all my nuts (shot in front of open goal there because the
first couple were a bear to loosen and didn't want to take the risk of
what you had happen.
As a replacement I intend to use brass - the dissimilar metal in
contact with eachother may not be a good thing, but they'll split a
whole lot easier.

Old June 24th 05, 07:27 PM
Kevin Holzer

Karls Vladimir Peņa wrote:
> I just have an arc welder and oxy-acetilene. Can I use the arc welder there?
> or is it too rough for that?

My friend's used a similar trick -- he drilled a small hole (small
enough not to compromise the stud, large enough not to break) in the
middle of the stud, and then JB-welded in an allen key. Turned right
off. Then again, it was not an exhaust stud and was on a BMW...

-Kevin
Old June 26th 05, 04:03 AM
MUADIBŪ

>> A problem we've all had from time to time Karls.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
>>
>> MUADIBŪ

>Good God aren't you in a mood tonight LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!
>
>Susan S.

Helps to have a good sense of humor.............or at least a sense of
humor.

I keep a spare one in my pocket, right next to my stubborn
nuts.........

Old June 26th 05, 04:05 AM
MUADIBŪ

On 24 Jun 2005 07:48:13 -0700, "Remco" > wrote:

>Karls Vladimir Peņa wrote:
>> Hi Ramva!
>>
>> I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
>> everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
>> studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
>> the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
>> is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
>> and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
>> leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, and
>> the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without removing
>> the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
>> Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?
>>

>I split all my nuts (shot in front of open goal there because the
>first couple were a bear to loosen and didn't want to take the risk of
>what you had happen.
>As a replacement I intend to use brass - the dissimilar metal in
>contact with eachother may not be a good thing, but they'll split a
>whole lot easier.

And we all know brass nuts don;t rust like steel ones do.

That open goal was nice............But splitting nuts.............I
don't know about that............Splitting hairs.........now that's
different.

OUCH!