Question on Wheels For '93 Caravan

Old December 7th 04, 04:30 PM
Ron

Default Question on Wheels For '93 Caravan

I want to buy some used steel rims ( wheels ) for my 1993 Dodge
Caravan LE to have new snow tires installed. There are 5 bolt holes in
my old rims and I assume they are 15" as the tires are 205 - 70R.15.
When I go to an auto wrecker, must I use just rims from a 1993 or are
other years going to fit exactly the same? I also saw a guy advertise
a set of four rims from a 1985 Caravan for only $40 and wonder if they
would fit? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
Old December 7th 04, 06:14 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Ron wrote:

> I want to buy some used steel rims ( wheels ) for my 1993 Dodge Caravan
> LE to have new snow tires installed. There are 5 bolt holes in my old
> rims and I assume they are 15" as the tires are 205 - 70R.15. When I go
> to an auto wrecker, must I use just rims from a 1993 or are other years
> going to fit exactly the same? I also saw a guy advertise a set of four
> rims from a 1985 Caravan for only $40 and wonder if they would fit?
> Any help appreciated.

The interchange on your wheels is enormous. You can pick 14" or 15" steel
wheels off of virtually any front-wheel drive Chrysler product that uses
five lugs per wheel (cars as well as minivans -- EXCEPT Grand Caravan,
Grand Voyager and '90-up Chrysler Town and Country, because these
extended-wheelbase minivans use a larger lug bolt circle). The '85 Caravan
wheels might still use only four lugs, in which case they wouldn't fit,
but if they have five lugs they will fit.

If you're trying to drive through snow, you want the tallest/narrowest
tire you can get away with, so pick the 14" x 5.5" or 14" x 6" wheels and
select a tire size that has a nice tall sidewall.

If you're trying to drive on ice, you want the widest tire you can get
away with, so use the 6" wide wheels (14" or 15") with wide tires.

DS
Old December 7th 04, 06:14 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 8th 04, 03:03 AM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:14:12 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Ron wrote:
>
>> I want to buy some used steel rims ( wheels ) for my 1993 Dodge Caravan
>> LE to have new snow tires installed. There are 5 bolt holes in my old
>> rims and I assume they are 15" as the tires are 205 - 70R.15. When I go
>> to an auto wrecker, must I use just rims from a 1993 or are other years
>> going to fit exactly the same? I also saw a guy advertise a set of four
>> rims from a 1985 Caravan for only $40 and wonder if they would fit?
>> Any help appreciated.

>The interchange on your wheels is enormous. You can pick 14" or 15" steel
>wheels off of virtually any front-wheel drive Chrysler product that uses
>five lugs per wheel (cars as well as minivans -- EXCEPT Grand Caravan,
>Grand Voyager and '90-up Chrysler Town and Country, because these
>extended-wheelbase minivans use a larger lug bolt circle). The '85 Caravan
>wheels might still use only four lugs, in which case they wouldn't fit,
>but if they have five lugs they will fit.
>
>If you're trying to drive through snow, you want the tallest/narrowest
>tire you can get away with, so pick the 14" x 5.5" or 14" x 6" wheels and
>select a tire size that has a nice tall sidewall.
>
>If you're trying to drive on ice, you want the widest tire you can get
>away with, so use the 6" wide wheels (14" or 15") with wide tires.
>
>DS

I've got a nice set of 14" rims (5X100 bolt circle - that's the one
for all but thelong wheelbase late models) with a virtually new set of
205/70 Winter King snows and Chrysler wheel disks for sale in Waterloo
Ontario - about 2000Km on them last winter on the Wife's '88 New
Yorker - which we sold this summer. They were good in snow, and stuck
pretty well on ice too. Not as good as the new Graspics - but a whole
lot better than All Seasons.
Old December 8th 04, 03:03 AM