Question on '65 restoration

Old May 9th 05, 04:36 AM
Bill W

Default Question on '65 restoration

Starting to restore (restomod) a '65 coupe. Removed moldings around
windshield today and found two small shouldered sheet metal screws, one on
each A pillar about 5 inches up from the cowl. Can anyone guess as to the
purpose for these screws. No obvious reason for them to be there, but they
definitely look like they were factory installed.

Old May 9th 05, 02:45 PM
japhar81

Wild guess, but could the screws just be plugging holes for some factory
accessory that this car didnt get?

Old May 10th 05, 03:05 AM
Bill W

We kinda thought the same thing at first, but the screws are under the
molding right up against the weatherstrip. Lip on molding that snaps into
retaining clips is notched to clear screws. Screws are covered in original
paint is why we think they were installed at the factory. Will try to get
some pictures up to help clarify.

Old May 10th 05, 03:24 AM
.boB

Bill W wrote:
> We kinda thought the same thing at first, but the screws are under the
> molding right up against the weatherstrip. Lip on molding that snaps into
> retaining clips is notched to clear screws. Screws are covered in original
> paint is why we think they were installed at the factory. Will try to get
> some pictures up to help clarify.
>

> "japhar81" > wrote in message
>
>>Wild guess, but could the screws just be plugging holes for some factory
>>accessory that this car didnt get?
>>

>>"Bill W" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Starting to restore (restomod) a '65 coupe. Removed moldings around
>>>windshield today and found two small shouldered sheet metal screws, one
>>>on each A pillar about 5 inches up from the cowl. Can anyone guess as to
>>>the purpose for these screws. No obvious reason for them to be there, but
>>>they definitely look like they were factory installed.

Those little screws retain the cantilevered roof
sub assembly. If you remove them, the tabs will be
misaligned. It's a real bear to re-align the roof
again without a full frame jig.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old May 10th 05, 07:21 AM
Mark C.

Hi Bill. I've seen them too on a '65 I restored though I have no clue as to
what they are for. Perhaps some factory method of installing the windshield.

--
Mark