Model A as a "daily" driver?

Old September 1st 05, 12:48 AM
Grumpy AuContraire

Call me ignorant if you want but when I shared this thread with some of
the guys at the shop, some of 'em are still rolling on the floor.

Enjoy your fantasy world... The rest of us prefer reality.

JT

Old September 3rd 05, 03:41 AM
DellDude

Humm

People were still driving Model A's everyday long after Studebaker went out
of business.

So I guess the Studebaker was hand built and not massed produced to be a low
cost car for the masses?

Like I said. Open your mind and try driving a properly restored car for a
change. So how often have you checked that all the wheel cylinders are
actually functioning in your cars. Have you ever driven one of your cars
with a wheel cylinder not working 100%? Are you sure you are getting 100%
shoe contact area?

My guess is you have unless you are driving each car quite regularly.

But I assume you are aware of the failure modes of hydrualic systems that
are not operated regularly. Almost every show I go to I talk with someone
having hydraulic brake problems on their newer cars. Usually it is a rear
wheel cylinder not operating or half operating.

Yup the modern brake system are so much better. Plus you can throw them in
half assed and they still seem to work ok even when you are only really
getting a fraction of the braking because the shoes do not fit the worn
drums. The model A's are older and not floating so you actually have to
take the time to put them together with some accuracy. But I am sure you
know all about how to make your brakes work great and if I were to pop you
drums off I would find you arched the shoes to fit the drums and all the
wheel cylinders are working 100%.

So what type of shop do you work in? You fixing chevy's everyday?

Old September 3rd 05, 08:06 PM
Grumpy AuContraire

I drive a Studebaker daily.

JT

Old September 4th 05, 01:03 AM
DellDude

That is great. I used to drive a 68 Mustang daily, now I drive a Mercedes
daily. I drive the Mercedes for the fuel economy and the safety. The nice
little diesel gets me 25mpg in a full size luxury car and if anyone hits me
I expect to win. Do you have and wear seatbelts in you cars?

Old September 4th 05, 04:34 AM
Grumpy AuContraire

DellDude wrote:

> That is great. I used to drive a 68 Mustang daily, now I drive a Mercedes
> daily. I drive the Mercedes for the fuel economy and the safety. The nice
> little diesel gets me 25mpg in a full size luxury car and if anyone hits me
> I expect to win. Do you have and wear seatbelts in you cars?

Yes.

JT