Mufflers for 87-93 5.0

Old August 12th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Randy Pavatte

Default Mufflers for 87-93 5.0

Hi all.
I just posted questions about emissions testing, and would like to thank
those who responded. I've concluded my best bet would be to go ahead and
install ordinary tailpipes on my GT again.
However, the reason I had turndowns installed on it was for the great
sound it made.
Mine is an AOD, and I wanted the throatiest roar I could get within the
confines of my car.
I currently have Flowmaster 2-chamber mufflers, but cannot recall the
series.

Here's my question. Are there some mufflers for my car (90 GT) that
would be more aggressive sounding than the Flowmaster 2-chamber?
I'm hoping to offset giving up the turndowns for regular tailpipes by
going with a louder muffler.
Thanks for your input, and if you need any information from me to help
with your advice, I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Old August 13th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DDS

Wow, MORE aggressive than 2 chambers? I've got them on my '85 GT, and they
are LOUD. I mean, I definately wouldn't want anything louder. I guess it is
your car so you can do what you want to it, but I don't know if I would want
the cops hearing me from even farther away than they can now. And I am 22,
so I'm not a tired old fart :-)

Old August 13th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael

"Randy Pavatte" > wrote in message
> Hi all.
> I just posted questions about emissions testing, and would like to thank
> those who responded. I've concluded my best bet would be to go ahead and
> install ordinary tailpipes on my GT again.
> However, the reason I had turndowns installed on it was for the great
> sound it made.
> Mine is an AOD, and I wanted the throatiest roar I could get within the
> confines of my car.
> I currently have Flowmaster 2-chamber mufflers, but cannot recall the
> series.
>
> Here's my question. Are there some mufflers for my car (90 GT) that
> would be more aggressive sounding than the Flowmaster 2-chamber?
> I'm hoping to offset giving up the turndowns for regular tailpipes by
> going with a louder muffler.
> Thanks for your input, and if you need any information from me to help
> with your advice, I'll be happy to answer what I can.

I have a good idea for you.... Here is what I did with my 90 5.0 LX

No mufflers at all. Take them off and weld in resonators.

For best performance results get a nice set of headers and high flow cats
too.

It isn't as loud as you would expect and the right set of resonators will
keep you from getting that ugly "diesel truck" exhaust sound that is common
with missing or damaged mufflers. Everyone commented on how wicked it
sounded.

Mike.

Old August 13th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[SS]

Randy Pavatte wrote:
> Hi all.
> I just posted questions about emissions testing, and would like to thank
> those who responded. I've concluded my best bet would be to go ahead and
> install ordinary tailpipes on my GT again.
> However, the reason I had turndowns installed on it was for the great
> sound it made.
> Mine is an AOD, and I wanted the throatiest roar I could get within the
> confines of my car.
> I currently have Flowmaster 2-chamber mufflers, but cannot recall the
> series.
>
> Here's my question. Are there some mufflers for my car (90 GT) that
> would be more aggressive sounding than the Flowmaster 2-chamber?
> I'm hoping to offset giving up the turndowns for regular tailpipes by
> going with a louder muffler.
> Thanks for your input, and if you need any information from me to help
> with your advice, I'll be happy to answer what I can.
>
> Randy
>
> We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
> from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

I have 2 chamber Flowmasters and if you don't use the tailpipes going
all the way out the back then the length of the pipes coming out of the
mufflers will determine how loud it is. You can actually play with this
by buying a couple of turn downs and some pieces straight pipe and
experiment with different lengths of pipe between the tips and the
muffler. You can go all the way from sensible to
waytoogoddamrediculousloudtothink on the inside. The latter totally
obscures the radio an conversation with a passenger.

--

I used to have abs. Now, I've just got ab.
One big ol' Ab. - BigSkiff www.titanspot.com

Pyongyang sounds more like the sound effect an ACME catapult makes
as it goes off at precisely the wrong moment for Wile E. Coyote. -
Cadbury Moose
Old August 13th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
karinhall

"DDS" <@> wrote in message ...

> Wow, MORE aggressive than 2 chambers? I've got them on my '85 GT, and they
> are LOUD. I mean, I definately wouldn't want anything louder. I guess it is
> your car so you can do what you want to it, but I don't know if I would want
> the cops hearing me from even farther away than they can now. And I am 22,
> so I'm not a tired old fart :-)

Apparently just a young smartass! :-)
Old August 15th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
KEITH MCCUMBER

You could also direct the turndowns the other way and have the pressure
waves bounce off the floor pan.

Old August 15th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Lanson[_1_]

"KEITH MCCUMBER" > wrote in message
> You could also direct the turndowns the other way and have the pressure
> waves bounce off the floor pan.

Would be better to cut some holes in the floor pans so you have less
resistance to gas flow.

Old August 15th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael

"Jim Lanson" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "KEITH MCCUMBER" > wrote in message
>> You could also direct the turndowns the other way and have the pressure
>> waves bounce off the floor pan.
>>

> Would be better to cut some holes in the floor pans so you have less
> resistance to gas flow.

on board oxygen tank would be essential with this mod.

mike

Old August 15th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Lanson[_1_]

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "Jim Lanson" > wrote in message
> reenews.net...
>>
>> "KEITH MCCUMBER" > wrote in message
>>> You could also direct the turndowns the other way and have the pressure
>>> waves bounce off the floor pan.
>>>

>> Would be better to cut some holes in the floor pans so you have less
>> resistance to gas flow.

> on board oxygen tank would be essential with this mod.
>
> mike

Then he could run some O2 over to the intake for some real boost.