Soft Top Latch Springs

Old September 17th 04, 05:08 PM
McMahon

Default Soft Top Latch Springs

Top latch spring, left, has finally rusted through and broken. Of course, I
cannot buy solely the latch spring from Mazda Dealer; you have to buy the
entire latch assembly to get a new spring. Interesting that the Left latch
assembly lists for $115 and the Right for $145 - uh, at my Local
MazdaVolvoSubaruLincoln-Mercury Dealer parts desk.

Anyway; went looking for a substitute spring at Pep Boys, Earl's Surplus,
etc. and couldn't find anything close. Looked in the Forum; no luck there
either. Seems to me that these springs, vulnerable as they are, would rate
a at least one post but I can't find any.

So, anyone out there know of a suitable substitute for these springs?

--
Steve McMahon
Green JRSC '00LS

Old September 17th 04, 05:55 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"McMahon" > wrote:

> Anyway; went looking for a substitute spring at Pep Boys, Earl's Surplus,
> etc. and couldn't find anything close.

Try a junkyard.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old September 17th 04, 06:13 PM
Larry Hill

>Top latch spring, left, has finally rusted through and broken

Try your local hardware store like YardBirds or ace...They have a good
collection of springs and washers etc.
Larry Hill
Old September 18th 04, 05:02 PM
dingo

RC models hobby shop. the there are springs on every RC car and available
in 100 different size's and hardness.
give it a try.
but will have to adjust it yourself.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...NG&S2=&S3=&S4=

TM

Old September 18th 04, 05:51 PM
Southoceandrive

"McMahon" > wrote in message
> Top latch spring, left, has finally rusted through and broken. Of course,

> cannot buy solely the latch spring from Mazda Dealer; you have to buy the
> entire latch assembly to get a new spring. Interesting that the Left

latch
> assembly lists for $115 and the Right for $145 - uh, at my Local
> MazdaVolvoSubaruLincoln-Mercury Dealer parts desk.
>
> Anyway; went looking for a substitute spring at Pep Boys, Earl's Surplus,
> etc. and couldn't find anything close. Looked in the Forum; no luck there
> either. Seems to me that these springs, vulnerable as they are, would

rate
> a at least one post but I can't find any.
>
> So, anyone out there know of a suitable substitute for these springs?
>

> --
> Steve McMahon
> Green JRSC '00LS

If you want the factory latch assembly, try Trussville Mazda. If you've
checked them at your local dealer, and know the part numbers, I'd bet
Trussville will be 20% less.

www.trussvillemazda.com/partsstore will getcha started.

Old September 20th 04, 03:35 PM
McMahon

I found substitute springs at Orchard Supply Hardware. There's a small rack
of springs at the end of the fastener's aisle in the West L.A. store. The
closest match was a 'C-7' package - 3/16 x 1 1/2 x .018 Utility Ext Spring.
These springs, with a little modification by needlenose pliers (2), worked
just fine. The manufacturer is:

Century Spring Corp.
www.centuryspring.com
1-800-237-5225

Also FYI, Calif. NB '99-'00 owners. My '00LS just PASSED its first CA smog
test. It's equipped with a standard JR Supercharger set up (stock crank
pulley) and a Brainstorm Header and CAT-pipe. The header/CAT-pipe is not
CARBed. The car was far below Max. allowable levels in every single
category and, I guess, the supercharger sufficiently obscured the
header/CAT-pipe. However, the tech who did the test was a solemn young man
with his formidable Yamaha FZ1 chained to a pipe in the waiting area; so I
don't think he missed the header. But I passed; header and all.

Steve McMahon
Green JRSC '00LS

Old September 20th 04, 10:21 PM
Brian Collie

I have a '00LS also and I'm planning to install a JR Supercharger. What
CAT-pipe did you install? Did you notice a significant difference in
horsepower with the install of the supercharger?

Thanks,

Brian

Old September 21st 04, 02:36 AM
McMahon

"Brian Collie" > wrote in message
> I have a '00LS also and I'm planning to install a JR Supercharger. What
> CAT-pipe did you install? Did you notice a significant difference in
> horsepower with the install of the supercharger?

Since the CAT on the '99-'00 is part of the stock manifold, you have to
install a 'BSP M2 Intermediate Exhaust' ($299) if you install the BSP (or
any other) header (because you need a CAT). I went with a 4-into-1 header;
mostly because I like the rough sound of it. The Tri-Y design, I think,
sounds a little smoother. The torque curves are different. Bottom line
seems to be more low-end with the Tri-Y; hi-end with 4-into-1.

The Ox sensor moves to the back of this intermediate pipe. It all works
great; again, I passed smog and the car sounds great (I stuck with the stock
muffler).

Of all the performance mods I have ever done on cars, I have never felt as
big a difference in power after an installation as when I did the JRSC and
header.

You'll notice a significant difference. Believe me.

--
SM

Old October 14th 04, 08:09 PM
jackofspeed

you're in luck! i have one that is in good condition, as a matter of fact
i have the right one also! email me if you're interested. they are off a
95 miata

jackofspeed