93 Honda: 200,000 miles. How much for new engine install?

Old November 21st 04, 10:02 PM
MIRSE

Default 93 Honda: 200,000 miles. How much for new engine install?

My stepfather bought a 93 Honda red 2-door hatchback Civic when it was new so
his grandkids could have something to drive.

Now it has a terrible oil leak, and the only thing to do is get a new engine.

It has a little over 200,000 miles.

It has been sitting in my stepfather's driveway for around 6 months.

My stepfather said he got an estimate for around $2000 to put a new engine in
it.

I said that such an estimate is low, and I think it would be close to
$4000-$5000 range to get a good engine installed in this 93 Honda Civic 2-door
Hatchback and to get the Honda back in good working condition.

I told him that it would be a waste of money, because he could probably get a
good running used car in the $4000-$5000 range.

My question: Can my stepfather really get a good engine installed in the 92
Honda Civic Hatchback---one of those red ones I see everywhere---for around
$2000, or will it cost more in the $4000-$5000 range?

Thanks for your help.
Old November 21st 04, 10:18 PM
Dee

<< Can my stepfather really get a good engine installed in the 92 Honda
Civic Hatchback---one of those red ones I see everywhere---for around $2000

I'm guessing your stepfather could get an entire running '92 Civic Hatchback
for around $2000.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:59 AM
Abeness

Dee wrote:
> I'm guessing your stepfather could get an entire running '92 Civic Hatchback
> for around $2000.

Yeah. I got a 94 Civic EX for $2300 here in NYC a few months back,
courtesy of craig's list. 112K then, in great shape. Got a few things to
do, but they're all normal wear and tear as far as I can see.
Old November 22nd 04, 03:59 AM
Abeness

Old November 21st 04, 10:23 PM
Woody

Why do you need a new engine because of an oil leak?

Old November 23rd 04, 12:18 AM
MIRSE

>Subject: 93 Honda: 200,000 miles. How much for new engine install?
>From: "Woody"
>Date: 11/21/2004 4:23 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>Why do you need a new engine because of an oil leak?

******
We took the 93 Honda to the Honda dealership. They said that the source of
the terrible oil leak and the car running terribly was a small hole in the
engine.

They said it could not be fixed.

Note: We had to tow the car to the nearby Honda dealership, because we
couldn't get it to run.

It would start for a few seconds, but it made terrible noises before it
suddenly cut off.

Oil spit out all over the driveway under the Honda just to the right of the
oxygen sensor that sits at the front of the engine just behind the radiator.

Old November 23rd 04, 01:42 AM
SoCalMike

MIRSE wrote:

>>Why do you need a new engine because of an oil leak?

> ******
> We took the 93 Honda to the Honda dealership. They said that the source of
> the terrible oil leak and the car running terribly was a small hole in the
> engine.
>
> They said it could not be fixed.
>
> Note: We had to tow the car to the nearby Honda dealership, because we
> couldn't get it to run.
>
> It would start for a few seconds, but it made terrible noises before it
> suddenly cut off.
>
> Oil spit out all over the driveway under the Honda just to the right of the
> oxygen sensor that sits at the front of the engine just behind the radiator.

thats some weird ****. id say the dealers full of it and trying to sell
a new car, but oil spewing? noises? wow.

got any friends or anything that might know about cars that can come
over and confirm?
Old November 23rd 04, 03:29 AM
Caroline

"MIRSE" > wrote
Someone wrote
> >thats some weird ****. id say the dealers full of it and trying to sell
> >a new car, but oil spewing? noises? wow.
> >
> >got any friends or anything that might know about cars that can come
> >over and confirm?

> *******
> Sorry, we don't know anyone who could check the Honda serious oil leak

and
> confirm if it is a very serious unfixable problem, or if it is something

a good
> mechanic could fix.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.

Oh come on: Now I'm hooked on this little mystery! Post your location and
maybe one of the group will come over and take a look. :-)

As I too suspect the oil filter is on the rear, how about a failed seal at
the base of the oil dipstick tube? IIRC there is a little seal way down
there that does fail. Or the tube itself may have ruptured.

Old November 23rd 04, 03:29 AM
Caroline

"MIRSE" > wrote
Someone wrote