manual transmission - the clutch pedal gets "stuck" while pressed

Old August 15th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default manual transmission - the clutch pedal gets "stuck" while pressed

OK, guys, here is a question. Mazda 626 with manual transmission has
the clutch pedal that does not always come back (seems to just stay
stuck).

A bit of background. The winter before the last one the clutch pedal
would get very difficult to press, while it was the freezing
temperature outside. After the car warmed up, the clutch became normal.
The winter before that one there was no higher resistence, things
worked the same regardless of the temperature. Last summer at some
point the clutch stopped operating, it turned out that all that the
fluid had leaked out. Once I added the fluid, things normalized after
few tens of pedal presses. Then, the past winter the clutch would be
first normal (while the car is cold), and then once it warmed up the
resistance to the initial pedal movement would decrease. Eventually,
the pedal started to get stuck more and more, and it depended on either
that was the early presses, or the later ones once the car was started.
There is also some fluid visible on the left of the clutch pedal inside
the car, kind of on the carpet near the vertical wall that is the
continuation of the driver's door toward the engine compartment.

Is this sufficient info to say what needs to be replaced?

Thanks!
Mike

Old August 15th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>OK, guys, here is a question. Mazda 626 with manual transmission has
>the clutch pedal that does not always come back (seems to just stay
>stuck).
>
>A bit of background. The winter before the last one the clutch pedal
>would get very difficult to press, while it was the freezing
>temperature outside. After the car warmed up, the clutch became normal.
>The winter before that one there was no higher resistence, things
>worked the same regardless of the temperature. Last summer at some
>point the clutch stopped operating, it turned out that all that the
>fluid had leaked out. Once I added the fluid, things normalized after
>few tens of pedal presses. Then, the past winter the clutch would be
>first normal (while the car is cold), and then once it warmed up the
>resistance to the initial pedal movement would decrease. Eventually,
>the pedal started to get stuck more and more, and it depended on either
>that was the early presses, or the later ones once the car was started.
>There is also some fluid visible on the left of the clutch pedal inside
>the car, kind of on the carpet near the vertical wall that is the
>continuation of the driver's door toward the engine compartment.
>
>Is this sufficient info to say what needs to be replaced?

Well, the fluid is leaking out of the master cylinder, so I'd first replace
that....
--scott
Old August 15th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

wrote:
> OK, guys, here is a question. Mazda 626 with manual transmission has
> the clutch pedal that does not always come back (seems to just stay
> stuck).
>
> A bit of background. The winter before the last one the clutch pedal
> would get very difficult to press, while it was the freezing
> temperature outside. After the car warmed up, the clutch became normal.
> The winter before that one there was no higher resistence, things
> worked the same regardless of the temperature. Last summer at some
> point the clutch stopped operating, it turned out that all that the
> fluid had leaked out. Once I added the fluid, things normalized after
> few tens of pedal presses. Then, the past winter the clutch would be
> first normal (while the car is cold), and then once it warmed up the
> resistance to the initial pedal movement would decrease. Eventually,
> the pedal started to get stuck more and more, and it depended on either
> that was the early presses, or the later ones once the car was started.
> There is also some fluid visible on the left of the clutch pedal inside
> the car, kind of on the carpet near the vertical wall that is the
> continuation of the driver's door toward the engine compartment.
>
> Is this sufficient info to say what needs to be replaced?
>
> Thanks!
> Mike

sounds like you have a hydraulic clutch, and at least the master
cylinder (and possibly the slave) needs to be replaced. Unless they're
prohibitively expensive, I'd do both because when one fails the other
usually isn't in much better condition.

good luck,

nate

'88 Mazda 626 - clutch pedal stays down Bill Technology 4 April 16th 06 07:51 AM
Clutch pedal Jerry Sauk Saturn 2 April 9th 06 01:12 AM
problems shifting with manual transmission (stick), help, something is wrong [email protected] Technology 9 February 25th 06 08:32 PM
Clicking sound from clutch pedal when depressed a little [email protected] Technology 4 July 31st 05 08:14 PM
94 Jetta clutch and transmission Victor LeeOwn VW water cooled 6 October 20th 04 11:56 AM