No space to unscrew Oxygen Sensor.

Old March 3rd 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default No space to unscrew Oxygen Sensor.

On 89 civic, I'm trying to unscrew oxygen sensor. Not much space to
use a tool on oxygen
sensor. Damn it how can I do this?

Old March 3rd 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Do you have a bona fide oxygen sensor wrench? Autozone loans
them for a small deposit (which you then get back upon
return of the tool).

I think I unbolted the exhaust manifold heat shield on my
1991 Civic LX, to get to the oxygen sensor. The proper
oxygen sensor wrench, a 3/8-inch extension, and a breaker
bar freed it easily, as I recall. No space problems to speak
of.

Not a bad idea to try to soak the threads with the
miraculous 'rust-buster,' "PB Blaster." A few bucks a can at
Autozone or Wal-Mart. I assume you are going to discard the
old sensor. If not, rethink the PB Blaster.

Old March 4th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Yes. With the crowfoot type oxygen sensor wrench you should have no
problem. The Autozone kit has three different ones of varying heights,
I think two crowfeet and one deep socket.

Old March 5th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On my 95 EX Civic, an oxygen sensor socket would not fit because of the
shape of the exhaust maniflod. I modified a 22mm box end wrench by
gorinding a little off of its underside. You have to cut off the connector
ot get the wrench on the the old sensor. A tap on the wrench with the
hammer took it right off. Boy was it tight. Good luck.