91 Accord Intermittent Start - HELP! Main Relay Differences

Old November 30th 04, 03:15 AM
Rob

Default 91 Accord Intermittent Start - HELP! Main Relay Differences

I just purchased a 91 Honda Accord and am having a strange
intermittent problem starting. While the main relay seems to be an
obvious culprit, the car not only has the problem while hot and cold,
it loses all power and you can't attempt to start until opening the
door. When the problem doesn't occur the car starts perfectly.

The Problem:

When attempting to start the car the first turn of the key lights the
ignition lights and the stereo goes on, then when you make the final
turn of the keys you hear a click, all power goes out and nothing else
happens. Turning the ignition to off and back on a second time does
absolutely nothing and there is no power whatsoever inside the car.

The only way to attempt to start the car is to open the car door where
it seems to reset something and then it allows for a try at ignition.

There is no alarm on the car so I don't believe it to be a ignition
kill issue. The battery seems to be working fine except for this
periodic issue. The only recent work to the car has been the
installation of a new car stereo. The previous owners (who are friends
of mine and will assist in anyway possible) have never had this
problem but haven't driven the car much at all since having the stereo
installed at Circuit City.

I have not ruled out the Main Relay but I've never read any postings
that involve having to open and close the door to reset the system.

ANY and ALL help is greatly appreciated!

Rob
Old November 30th 04, 04:57 AM
remcow

> When attempting to start the car the first turn of the key lights the
> ignition lights and the stereo goes on, then when you make the final
> turn of the keys you hear a click, all power goes out and nothing else
> happens. Turning the ignition to off and back on a second time does
> absolutely nothing and there is no power whatsoever inside the car.
>
> The only way to attempt to start the car is to open the car door where
> it seems to reset something and then it allows for a try at ignition.
>
> There is no alarm on the car so I don't believe it to be a ignition
> kill issue. The battery seems to be working fine except for this
> periodic issue. The only recent work to the car has been the
> installation of a new car stereo. The previous owners (who are friends
> of mine and will assist in anyway possible) have never had this
> problem but haven't driven the car much at all since having the stereo
> installed at Circuit City.
>
> I have not ruled out the Main Relay but I've never read any postings
> that involve having to open and close the door to reset the system.

Hey Rob

That's a weird one - that resetting by opening up a door is just bizarre.
What happens when you start the car with the door open?
When you say that theres' no power, you mean that even the radio is dead?

Just to clarify: with main relay, do you mean the relay under your dash,
right?

Regards,
Remco

Old November 30th 04, 04:57 AM
remcow

Old November 30th 04, 01:45 PM
Burt Squareman

"Rob" > wrote in message

> When attempting to start the car the first turn of the key lights the
> ignition lights and the stereo goes on, then when you make the final
> turn of the keys you hear a click, all power goes out and nothing else
> happens. Turning the ignition to off and back on a second time does
> absolutely nothing and there is no power whatsoever inside the car.
> The only way to attempt to start the car is to open the car door where
> it seems to reset something and then it allows for a try at ignition.
> There is no alarm on the car so I don't believe it to be a ignition
> kill issue. The battery seems to be working fine except for this
> periodic issue. The only recent work to the car has been the
> installation of a new car stereo. <snip>

It sounds as though the battery positive or ground terminal posts
cuts out when the load from the starter kicks in. Opening the
door either shook back the connection or was just coincidental.
Try securing the battery posts.

Old November 30th 04, 01:45 PM
Burt Squareman

Old November 30th 04, 04:06 PM
Mike Romain

You are describing a loose or dirty main battery cable, likely the
ground.

Opening the door or turning on a light can get a draw started so the
high draw from the starter can arc across and catch maybe. This won't
likely last long before it just plain quits.

Lots of times if you try to start them with the hood open, then get out
and feel the battery cable ends after trying to start it, you will find
one of them hot. This will be a bad connection. Warning! They 'can'
get hot enough from the arcing to burn you.

I would be paying close attention to the body ground strap. Either the
one from the battery or the one from the engine to the body.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old November 30th 04, 04:06 PM
Mike Romain

Old November 30th 04, 05:18 PM
Rob

"remcow" > wrote in message >...
> > When attempting to start the car the first turn of the key lights the
> > ignition lights and the stereo goes on, then when you make the final
> > turn of the keys you hear a click, all power goes out and nothing else
> > happens. Turning the ignition to off and back on a second time does
> > absolutely nothing and there is no power whatsoever inside the car.
> >
> > The only way to attempt to start the car is to open the car door where
> > it seems to reset something and then it allows for a try at ignition.
> >
> > There is no alarm on the car so I don't believe it to be a ignition
> > kill issue. The battery seems to be working fine except for this
> > periodic issue. The only recent work to the car has been the
> > installation of a new car stereo. The previous owners (who are friends
> > of mine and will assist in anyway possible) have never had this
> > problem but haven't driven the car much at all since having the stereo
> > installed at Circuit City.
> >
> > I have not ruled out the Main Relay but I've never read any postings
> > that involve having to open and close the door to reset the system.

> Hey Rob
>
> That's a weird one - that resetting by opening up a door is just bizarre.
> What happens when you start the car with the door open?
> When you say that theres' no power, you mean that even the radio is dead?
>
> Just to clarify: with main relay, do you mean the relay under your dash,
> right?
>
> Regards,
> Remco

The door doesn't seem to make a difference. It will usually start with
the door open unless it's having one of these fits where the same
thing happens. Everything is dead when the car won't start. Power
locks, all lights, radio, etcc. Turning the key off and on again does
absolutely nothing until I open the door where it seems to reset
something. Maybe a short somewhere which is why I wonder if it's the
radio since the previous owners have never had that problem before.

I am speaking of the main relay under the dash. It seems that's a
common problem with Hondas but the only difference is heat doesn't
seem to make a difference which makes me think it's not the relay. Not
too mention I've never heard of a complete loss of power.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Rob
Old November 30th 04, 05:18 PM
Rob

Old November 30th 04, 07:25 PM
Eric

Rob wrote:
> "remcow" > wrote in message >...
>
>>>When attempting to start the car the first turn of the key lights the
>>>ignition lights and the stereo goes on, then when you make the final
>>>turn of the keys you hear a click, all power goes out and nothing else
>>>happens. Turning the ignition to off and back on a second time does
>>>absolutely nothing and there is no power whatsoever inside the car.
>>>
>>>The only way to attempt to start the car is to open the car door where
>>>it seems to reset something and then it allows for a try at ignition.
>>>
>>>There is no alarm on the car so I don't believe it to be a ignition
>>>kill issue. The battery seems to be working fine except for this
>>>periodic issue. The only recent work to the car has been the
>>>installation of a new car stereo. The previous owners (who are friends
>>>of mine and will assist in anyway possible) have never had this
>>>problem but haven't driven the car much at all since having the stereo
>>>installed at Circuit City.
>>>
>>>I have not ruled out the Main Relay but I've never read any postings
>>>that involve having to open and close the door to reset the system.

>>Hey Rob
>>
>>That's a weird one - that resetting by opening up a door is just bizarre.
>>What happens when you start the car with the door open?
>>When you say that theres' no power, you mean that even the radio is dead?
>>
>>Just to clarify: with main relay, do you mean the relay under your dash,
>>right?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Remco

> The door doesn't seem to make a difference. It will usually start with
> the door open unless it's having one of these fits where the same
> thing happens. Everything is dead when the car won't start. Power
> locks, all lights, radio, etcc. Turning the key off and on again does
> absolutely nothing until I open the door where it seems to reset
> something. Maybe a short somewhere which is why I wonder if it's the
> radio since the previous owners have never had that problem before.
>
> I am speaking of the main relay under the dash. It seems that's a
> common problem with Hondas but the only difference is heat doesn't
> seem to make a difference which makes me think it's not the relay. Not
> too mention I've never heard of a complete loss of power.
>
> Thanks to everyone for your help!
>
> Rob

I had a similar problem with my '85 Accord, some one had installed a new
stereo, long before I got it, however intermitently it just didn't want
to start. I ended up opening the panel where all the connections were
made, for me at the fuse panel, and removed then replaced (put back in)
the block that went to the ignition, seems to have a loose terminal post
from them installing the new stereo or something, anyway started right
up for me. Good Luck.

HTH

Eric

--
To Reply directly delete "removethis" from email address