LT1 Wrangler For Sale in Arizona (repost)

Old July 19th 05, 05:40 AM

Billy Ray wrote:
> .The 'big" V-8 in marine use was Chrysler's 440. There are still a lot of
> them around in the older wood boats.
>
> As for professional racing they used WWII era Allison's designed for
> aircraft, V-12 Packards, or Rolls-Royce.

The older heavy as hell Chrysler 392 went into a lot of boats,
gensets, irrigation pumps and start carts. All of which have been
bought up and made into drag and schlock rod engines today. They were
reliable but they were 250-300 hp engines tops and they weighed close
to a thousand pounds.

The 440 was a great engine. There are still a lot of them in boats but
older working boats made with them are usually repowered with diesel,
have been for years.

The Unlimited hydro idiots bought Allison 1710s by the trainload, used
them up like popcorn and scrapped them. When the old castings and
cranks got scarce they changed the rules and are now all running
surplus runout Lycoming turboshafts, rather than paying to build new
Allison stuff. The V12 Packard you are talking of is either the PT boat
engine, which has never been used in marine racing to my knowledge, or
the V-1650-9A Packard license built RR Merlin, of which a few were, but
the two stage two speed blower was a disadvantage.

Old July 19th 05, 06:02 AM

> For example somewhere around 1970 one of the car magazines went around to
> the Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge dealers and took standard 'demonstrators'
> for a test ride to their local speed shop.
>
> The Hemi engines rated at 425 hp by Chrysler all put out 500+ horsepower on
> the dynos and the engines had not even been broken in.
>
> Those weren't HP versions, they were the engines that our parents (the
> current generations grand and great grand parents) had in their Imperials
> and Furies, and Coronets...

Tee hee hee hee hee!

Everyone now knows that the Big Three all had spies in the car
magazines and many of the "demonstrators" were tweaked ringers. If the
majority of standard production cars had these engines they wouldnt
have been able to run on standard pump gas and would had a hell of a
lot of warranty claims on transmissions, axles and driveshafts.

Old July 19th 05, 07:09 AM
Billy Ray

These were not the cars provided by the manufacturers, they were picked up
at the local dealer just the same as the car you would have test drove.

I recall the article mentioning that because some of the manufacturers
would, as you describe, provide cars that were 'doctored' with non standard
equipment or mislabeled engines (i.e. a Nova with 305 stickers on the air
cleaner that was obviously a ss350).

When Chrysler Corp extended their warranty to 5 years they did have a lot of
claims but I don't think that ... reliability... was any different than any
other car of the era. In the mid-later 70's all cars were garbage and that
really did not improve till the later 80's when the US manufacturers finally
went to multi-port fuel injection.

My '86 T-Bird with throttle body injection had the same engine but with 50%
less power compared with my elder daughter's MPI '88 Cougar.

As bad as reliability was in American cars if you had a foreign car it was a
joke (or you were a hippie and drove a VW) Being 'Made in America" used to
mean it was a quality product and "Made in Japan's meant it was junk.

Things changed as the Asians learned quickly that Americans wanted larger
and more powerful cars that were dependable. Detroit met that challenge by
engineering and designing ugly cars that could not me made to run right
unless you broke off the limiter caps, drilled out the lead plug, adjusted
the carburetor to run on the cra**y gas they were now selling, and the
replaced the limiter cap with one available at any auto parts store so it
would pass the visual portion of the emissions test.

This was, of course, illegal but a 'real mechanic' (as opposed to a
technician) could get cars to run but not stay within the letter of the law.

We can check with Bill as to the particulars as it was in this era that he
ran the Chevron Garage.

PS

Who remembers the Honda 600?

ups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 07:56 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ford took the Shelby AC Cobra:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/CSX3282.shtml and GT 40:
http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...112_0201_gt40/ to Europe and
won everything in sight.
Chrysler's '51 Hemi in hard block form is putting out over twelve
thousand horsepower that propels our dragster to over three hundred and
thirty miles an hour in four seconds:
http://www.nhra.com/wklynews/news5-22-98_2.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 19th 05, 10:52 PM

How many runs does "your" dragster make on one crankshaft?

Old July 19th 05, 11:46 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It is completely torn down for inspection as any engine after a
race, weather it's four seconds or five hundred miles, and they do
it in less than thirty minutes. I depends what it's designed to do, like
a truck may go five hundred thousand miles before a major.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 20th 05, 12:01 AM

Yes, but do they throw the crank away after one run, or does it go a
season? There is a number here. Same with blocks, pistons, con rods,
heads, you name it. At any rate, it's safe to say a crank probably
does not go more than a few miles-including staging, the run, and
slowdown-in its life.

Old July 20th 05, 02:29 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Unless it explodes on the strip, they just ring it and of course
inserts. I've broken many cranks, but I don't think I've seen one in the
pits, probably because of the Magnaflux program. Mostly melted pistons
and their blocks after an oil down, because energy is heat, twelve
thousand horsepower is a lot of heat, even if it is for just four
seconds. They've got to be a really big name to have a spare engine,
like GoArmy or John Force. I go to each of the Pomona Nationals, you
should buy a pit pass and see for yourself:
http://www.billhughes.com/pomonaDrags.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 20th 05, 04:35 AM

Drag racing is a hell of a lot of work for four or five seconds of
action. I prefer road racing, especially 12 or 24 hour endurance
racing, where they are out there a long time.

Old July 20th 05, 07:39 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sometimes the need for speed can only be satisfied with six
gravitates of acceleration:
http://www.nhra.com/streetlegal/whatisNHRA.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/