speedometer

Old July 18th 05, 01:44 AM
chibitul

Default speedometer

Guys, this is the last question for this weekend, I promise!

1997 Civic LX Manual. The speedometer seems to indicate more than the
actual speed. Maybe 10 miles too much, but I haven't check with my
other car yet (will do it very soon though). Mileage is correct though,
tires/rims are the OEM size. is there an easy (cheap) fix? thanks.

chibitul.
p.s. tomorrow is a whole new week

Old July 18th 05, 03:53 AM
SoCalMike

chibitul wrote:
> Guys, this is the last question for this weekend, I promise!
>
> 1997 Civic LX Manual. The speedometer seems to indicate more than the
> actual speed. Maybe 10 miles too much, but I haven't check with my
> other car yet (will do it very soon though). Mileage is correct though,
> tires/rims are the OEM size. is there an easy (cheap) fix? thanks.

up to 10% can be considered normal. just drive 10% faster!
Old July 18th 05, 04:11 AM
gmccx

SoCalMike wrote:
> chibitul wrote:
>
>> Guys, this is the last question for this weekend, I promise!
>>
>> 1997 Civic LX Manual. The speedometer seems to indicate more than the
>> actual speed. Maybe 10 miles too much, but I haven't check with my
>> other car yet (will do it very soon though). Mileage is correct though,
>> tires/rims are the OEM size. is there an easy (cheap) fix? thanks.

> up to 10% can be considered normal. just drive 10% faster!

But I am terminally unable to understand why a company the size of honda
can't make a speedo that actually gets somewhat close to actual speed.
I have to drive 10 over the limit to be actually going five over. It's
then a bitch to get in my wife's Mazda which shows a lot closer to
actual speed. So going 10 over in it is really 10 over - speeding
ticket territory around here.

Old July 18th 05, 04:58 AM
Abeness

SoCalMike wrote:
> up to 10% can be considered normal. just drive 10% faster!

That's about what I do... ;-)
Old July 18th 05, 06:01 PM
F. Dail Singleton, Jr.

gmccx wrote:

> SoCalMike wrote:
> > chibitul wrote:
> >
> >> Guys, this is the last question for this weekend, I promise!
> >>
> >> 1997 Civic LX Manual. The speedometer seems to indicate more than the
> >> actual speed. Maybe 10 miles too much, but I haven't check with my
> >> other car yet (will do it very soon though). Mileage is correct though,
> >> tires/rims are the OEM size. is there an easy (cheap) fix? thanks.

> > up to 10% can be considered normal. just drive 10% faster!

> But I am terminally unable to understand why a company the size of honda
> can't make a speedo that actually gets somewhat close to actual speed.
> I have to drive 10 over the limit to be actually going five over. It's
> then a bitch to get in my wife's Mazda which shows a lot closer to
> actual speed. So going 10 over in it is really 10 over - speeding
> ticket territory around here.

Optimistic speedometers were typical in the 1950's for American cars,
and I think I remember my father saying that the gov't put a stop to it.

My 92 Civic (owned for almost 2 yrs) is the first car since then which
has had such a big speedometer error.

Dail Singleton
Old July 19th 05, 06:23 AM
Bebop

gmccx > wrote:

> SoCalMike wrote:
> > chibitul wrote:
> >
> >> Guys, this is the last question for this weekend, I promise!
> >>
> >> 1997 Civic LX Manual. The speedometer seems to indicate more than the
> >> actual speed. Maybe 10 miles too much, but I haven't check with my
> >> other car yet (will do it very soon though). Mileage is correct though,
> >> tires/rims are the OEM size. is there an easy (cheap) fix? thanks.

> > up to 10% can be considered normal. just drive 10% faster!

> But I am terminally unable to understand why a company the size of honda
> can't make a speedo that actually gets somewhat close to actual speed.
> I have to drive 10 over the limit to be actually going five over. It's
> then a bitch to get in my wife's Mazda which shows a lot closer to
> actual speed. So going 10 over in it is really 10 over - speeding
> ticket territory around here.

My 91 civic reads 5 mph slower. My 04 civic is right on the button.