00LX over and done, now have 01EX

Old March 14th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 00LX over and done, now have 01EX

00LX over and done, now have 01EX
The insurance company agreed to total my 00LX. (a curious note, the adjustor
told me today in conversation that he also drives an Odyssey, an 03)
I managed to swap brand new tires from the LX to the 01 EX and also a 1
month old battery to the EX. I changed the cabin air filter and boy was it
filthy. Dirtiest filter I've ever seen. It was completely black and full of
fuzz, too. It had been changed before or at least someone had gone to the
trouble to cut the manufacturer's strap before.

I was able to look at the service records from the previous owner. All oil
changes were done on time. A few minor repairs, one to the sliding door and
the oil pan was changed. (I don't know the particulars on that one). The EGR
fix, and nothing really glaring.

I also bought the clock light bulb, changed it, and the green light for
cruise control indicator, changed that one too.

I will change most all the fluids. The vehicle must've lived somewhere down
a dirt road...a kind of pervasive dusty dirt is everywhere. The overflow for
the radiator looks like coffee. (same color as the dirt all over) The engine
oil looks okbut it had been changed before they put it on the used lot.
The van has 84K miles on it. The transmission service was due at 90K. The
salesman wouldn't dicker on price, but I did get him to agree to the
transmission flushing, service. Sound fair?

My concern with the transmission in the 01EX is stumbling immediately on
takeoff. If you take off from a dead stop really slow, you don't feel it.
But if you take off like you were in traffic at a red light, commencing on
moving, there is a "stumble" in what feels like the first revolution of the
transaxle. Also, on the passenger side, there is a faint jet engine type
whine that is coincidental to the transmission. It's not tire related,
because it was there on the old tires and the new tires. It is not road
noise, it happens on any road. It's not engine, because it only happens when
you are moving. Any idea?

Also, the wheels are awfully noisy and clunky. A more exagerated version of
the front end, tire/wheel noise common to Odysseys. Wonder what to look for.
I checked the brake pads when the van was on the rack at the tire place and
there is plenty of pad left...is it missing shims, maybe?

Anything to look for on the 01EX? I absolutely loved my 00LX and can only
hope this one serves me as well