97 Accord Trans Fluid Change?

Old March 14th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 97 Accord Trans Fluid Change?

A couple of questions:
1) Does the 97 accord AT just have a drain plug to change fluid? Any filter?
2) I was told to use Genuine Honda ATF and not NAPA or other generic brands.
Any Thoughts?

Old March 14th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It does have a drain plug. Mine took a 3/8 rachet . IN VERY TIGHT. And use
only Honda fluid.

Scott

Old March 14th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:49:35 -0500, "Enuf4me" >
wrote:

>A couple of questions:
>1) Does the 97 accord AT just have a drain plug to change fluid? Any filter?
>2) I was told to use Genuine Honda ATF and not NAPA or other generic brands.
>Any Thoughts?

Yes.
I had the 105,000 mile service done 2 months ago on my 1997 Accord
wagon. Went to a highly respected independent repair place for the
required timing belt, and a whole slew of other maintenance items. Had
them do a transmission fluid change - that being a flush and 100%
fluid change. It began shifting a little harshly a week or two ago.
Then some slipping when cold the last couple days. I checked the ATF
level - it was okay. So had a look in the owner's manual. It warns
about using only genuine Honda Premium Formula ATF. Service manual
says the same, and both say that Dexron III can be used temporarily
but it will affect shifting quality and should be changed for Honda
ATF as soon as it is convenient. Sounded like my problem. Then had a
look at my 105,000 mi service receipt and it said they used Valvoline
Premium Max Life ATF. Went to the Valvoline web site and it says this
fluid is "compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not
void new car warranties" and is recommended for "Most Import Vehicles"
but doesn't mention Honda. But it also says this ATF is Dexron
III-type. Hmmm. Emailed Valvoline yesterday describing the problem
and asked them if I need to change back to Honda fluid. Their answer
received this morning : "For your application yes." Tomorrow morning
taking the car back to get the correct Honda fluid installed. Wish I
researched this first, but I assumed people who service cars all day
for a living would know what they were doing. My mistake.

Steve Noll | The Glass Block Pond
Old March 14th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Steve Noll wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:49:35 -0500, "Enuf4me" >
> wrote:
>

>>A couple of questions:
>>1) Does the 97 accord AT just have a drain plug to change fluid? Any filter?
>>2) I was told to use Genuine Honda ATF and not NAPA or other generic brands.
>>Any Thoughts?
>>

> Yes.
> I had the 105,000 mile service done 2 months ago on my 1997 Accord
> wagon. Went to a highly respected independent repair place for the
> required timing belt, and a whole slew of other maintenance items. Had
> them do a transmission fluid change - that being a flush and 100%
> fluid change. It began shifting a little harshly a week or two ago.
> Then some slipping when cold the last couple days. I checked the ATF
> level - it was okay. So had a look in the owner's manual. It warns
> about using only genuine Honda Premium Formula ATF. Service manual
> says the same, and both say that Dexron III can be used temporarily
> but it will affect shifting quality and should be changed for Honda
> ATF as soon as it is convenient. Sounded like my problem. Then had a
> look at my 105,000 mi service receipt and it said they used Valvoline
> Premium Max Life ATF. Went to the Valvoline web site and it says this
> fluid is "compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not
> void new car warranties" and is recommended for "Most Import Vehicles"
> but doesn't mention Honda. But it also says this ATF is Dexron
> III-type. Hmmm. Emailed Valvoline yesterday describing the problem
> and asked them if I need to change back to Honda fluid. Their answer
> received this morning : "For your application yes." Tomorrow morning
> taking the car back to get the correct Honda fluid installed. Wish I
> researched this first, but I assumed people who service cars all day
> for a living would know what they were doing. My mistake.
>
> Steve Noll | The Glass Block Pond
> | http://www.kissingfrogs.tv

thanks for taking the time to share this experience! i ended up making
the same enquiries of castrol for their dexron fluid a few years ago and
got the same answer: "not for honda".
Old March 14th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Enuf4me wrote:
> A couple of questions:
> 1) Does the 97 accord AT just have a drain plug to change fluid?

yes.

> Any filter?

not that you can get at. don't worry about it.

> 2) I was told to use Genuine Honda ATF and not NAPA or other generic brands.

you were told correct. it makes a significant difference to shift quality.

Old March 14th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Enuf4me wrote:

> A couple of questions:
> 1) Does the 97 accord AT just have a drain plug to change fluid? Any filter?
> 2) I was told to use Genuine Honda ATF and not NAPA or other generic brands.
> Any Thoughts?

----------------------------

Take it for a drive to get any 'sludge' into solution. Remove the dip
stick, remove the magnetic drain plug SLOWLY and let it drain most of
the fluid before removing the plug or it will pee on the tire. Wipe the
clump of grey fuzz off the magnet, replace the copper washer. Refill
with the same amount of HONDA Z1 fluid. Drive it a week and do it again.
Filter is internal and doesn't get touched. You'll need to buy 4 quarts,
but will use less unless you drain it overnight and maybe start it for
10 seconds.

'Curly'
Old March 14th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Yeah, don't fool around with anything but Honda's ATF. Trust me on that

I have an '88 Accord with 239,000 miles and I have always used regular old
Dexron III. It's OK to use aftermarket ATF for Honda's of that era but the
newer models (although I'm not sure where the cutoff is) MUST use Honda's
fluid or you're just asking for problems. I had been using Dexron III in my
'98 CRV for around 40,000 miles without any noticeable problems but it
eventually started having shifting problems and it would ocasionally shudder
when cruising around town in the 38-42 mph range. I switched to Honda's ATF
and the symptoms immediately vanished. I changed it again several weeks later
(as insurance) since only three quarts drains out during fluid change. That
was around four years ago and I haven't had any problems since that time.

The other guys have already given you solid info. Honda's don't use AT
filters. Just throw a 3/8" ratchet into the drain plug to remove it. It
couldn't be any easier.

Old March 14th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I took my '98 Odyssey to our Tuffy shop for a transmission fluid change
a couple of years ago. After a while the manager came out and said they
couldn't do the change because Honda AFT was specified. That told me I
had a good mechanic.
- Terry
Old March 15th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Curly:
You state: "and drive it a week and do it again" are you saying to buy 8 gts
of Honda ATF, put new in, run a week, drain, pitch, and refill with new?

Old March 15th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Enuf4me wrote:

> Curly:
> You state: "and drive it a week and do it again" are you saying to buy 8 gts
> of Honda ATF, put new in, run a week, drain, pitch, and refill with new?

You could actually change it twice the same day as long as it goes for a
good long drive, to allow the magnet a chance to catch a bit more metal,
and to mix the new with the old. I like the idea of doing it a week
apart because I drive lots of highway, and the magnet picks up a very
fine 'paint' of grey stuff in seven days.

3 - 4 quarts each time. Some would even say you should do it three
times.

'Curly'