1 series in North America?

Old October 5th 04, 05:07 AM
Robin S.

Default 1 series in North America?

I was reading a newsletter from within the company I work for an noticed
that we make parts for the BMW 1 series. I've never heard of these cars -
indeed they are not shown on the North American websites.

Any idea if BMW plans to bring these things to North America?

Regards,

Robin

Old October 5th 04, 06:11 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Robin S." > wrote
>I was reading a newsletter from within the company I work for an noticed
> that we make parts for the BMW 1 series. I've never heard of these cars -
> indeed they are not shown on the North American websites.
>
> Any idea if BMW plans to bring these things to North America?

The 1 series is a smaller hatchback similar to the E36 318ti, and
is not anticipated to be coming unless it gets a larger engine than
the 4-banger.

Floyd
Old October 5th 04, 09:29 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
fbloogyudsr > wrote:
> The 1 series is a smaller hatchback similar to the E36 318ti, and
> is not anticipated to be coming unless it gets a larger engine than
> the 4-banger.

It certainly doesn't look similar to the E36 - it looks more like a small
E60.
It's had rave reviews in the UK as a driver's car, with the larger of the
two diesels being the engine of choice. And there's room for a 6 cylinder
engine which everyone guesses will come later.

It's very tight for rear leg room - a penalty of the RWD layout. So
different from most in this class that are meant as small family cars.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 5th 04, 11:18 PM
Matt O'Toole

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article >,
> fbloogyudsr > wrote:

>> The 1 series is a smaller hatchback similar to the E36 318ti, and
>> is not anticipated to be coming unless it gets a larger engine than
>> the 4-banger.

> It certainly doesn't look similar to the E36 - it looks more like a
> small E60.
> It's had rave reviews in the UK as a driver's car, with the larger
> of the two diesels being the engine of choice. And there's room for a
> 6 cylinder engine which everyone guesses will come later.
>
> It's very tight for rear leg room - a penalty of the RWD layout. So
> different from most in this class that are meant as small family cars.

To me it looks like a Golf, or an older Civic hatchback. I like it. I'd buy
one over a similarly-priced Mini or VW because of the RWD, but I doubt I'll ever
get the chance.

The problem is that BMW and their dealers seem to not like selling cheaper cars
in North America. This was the problem with the 318ti. They were either
optioned to the gills and way overpriced, or used as a teaser to lure people
into a regular 3-Series (for only xx more dollars a month). BMW's brand
management goons supposedly hated the car too. Now they have the Mini, which
addresses the entry-level luxury market, without "cheapening" the BMW brand.

Also, with few exceptions, the low priced entry level car these days is not a
cheaper new car, but a better-model used one. This is true with any brand.
Dealers make a lot more money selling used cars anyway -- not just per car, but
as a percentage of total sales. Used cars are really what pays the bills. So
just as a Toyota dealer sells a lot more used Corollas, etc. than new Echos, BMW
dealers would rather sell people a used 3-Series than a brand-new 1. Toyota
purposely makes the Echo feel cheap to facilitate this process, as BMW did with
the 318ti (mostly with cheap-feeling upholstery). But with new and used BMWs
selling so well these days, BMW doesn't need a teaser car to lure buyers onto
their lots. If people really want a cheaper brand new car, BMW can sell them a
Mini.

Europe is different -- good small cars have as much cachet as anything else.
They're more desirable for practical reasons, such as narrow streets, parking
ease, higher fuel and insurance costs, and a culture where better does not mean
bigger.

Matt O.

Old October 6th 04, 03:23 AM
Robin S.

"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message

> Europe is different -- good small cars have as much cachet as anything

else.
> They're more desirable for practical reasons, such as narrow streets,

parking
> ease, higher fuel and insurance costs, and a culture where better does not

mean
> bigger.

Matt,

That's exactly why I like the 1 series. I've got a '97 Corolla and I'd like
to get a used Bimmer when it dies. I think I've got a couple of years to
mull over my decision, but I don't like big cars as I live in the city and
commute to work.

Because I help build *stuff* for BMW and Mercedes, I have a new appreciation
for why these cars cost more. While the Mini Cooper S sounds like a nice
ride in my circumstance, I'm still leaning towards BMW specifically (I
haven't convinced myself that I'm buying the car only for its capabilities
and workmanship). A small but still practical ( but not necessarily the
cheapest) car like the 1 series sounds great.

Oh well. Thanks for the history all.

Regards,

Robin

Old October 7th 04, 02:49 AM
Frank Kemper

"Matt O'Toole" > haute in die Tasten:

> I'd buy
> one over a similarly-priced Mini or VW because of the RWD, but I doubt
> I'll ever get the chance.

That may be a problem, because the 1' series is far more expensive than a
Golf. Starting price is 20.000 Euros, and with some extras you soon reach
30.000 Euros. A similarly equipped Golf costs at least 20% less, if you
chose an Opel Astra or Ford Focus instead, the savings are even bigger.

When the 1' series was introduced in Germany, the high price was regarded
as its main disadvantage.

Frank

Citroën Xantia - Made in Trance
Old October 7th 04, 10:57 AM
Peter Bozz

Frank Kemper wrote:
> "Matt O'Toole" > haute in die Tasten:
>

>> I'd buy
>>one over a similarly-priced Mini or VW because of the RWD, but I doubt
>>I'll ever get the chance.
>>

> That may be a problem, because the 1' series is far more expensive than a
> Golf. Starting price is 20.000 Euros, and with some extras you soon reach
> 30.000 Euros. A similarly equipped Golf costs at least 20% less, if you
> chose an Opel Astra or Ford Focus instead, the savings are even bigger.
>
> When the 1' series was introduced in Germany, the high price was regarded
> as its main disadvantage.

But can you really directly compare the 1 series to the Ford Focus or
the Opel Astra? Isn't it a bit like comparing the 5 series to
the Ford Mondeo? It's just not the same thing.

Is BMW's strategy with the 1 series really to draw people away
from the Opels Astras and Ford Focuses?

If you want a Ford Focus or a Golf which is fitted with the
most powerful engine each model line has to offer (Ford 2.016V or
Golf 2.0 16V FSI or the GTI) which have comparable BHP and acceleration
times as the 120i, is the price difference really that big?
Even then, I'd venture to say the BMW will be better value for
your money (well, except for the GTI Golf maybe).

Peter

Old October 7th 04, 11:40 AM
Frank Kemper

Peter Bozz > haute in die Tasten:

> But can you really directly compare the 1 series to the Ford Focus or
> the Opel Astra? Isn't it a bit like comparing the 5 series to
> the Ford Mondeo? It's just not the same thing.

On a technical basis you can very well compare these cars, especially as
the 1' series lacks typical BMW characteristics like fine interior
materials and smooth as silk inline-six engines. In a comparison between
the VW Golf 2.0 FSI and the BMW 120i the Golf won, and other comparisons
between Golf and Astra or Focus show, that all these cars are very
competitive. Of course it is a difference to say "I own a BMW" instead of
"I drive a Ford Focus", but time will tell wether people are ready to
spend a small fortune for this. IMHO the price difference between 1'
series and 3' series is too small - this car simply is too expensive.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 7th 04, 02:09 PM
Peter Bozz

Frank Kemper wrote:
> Peter Bozz > haute in die Tasten:
>

>>But can you really directly compare the 1 series to the Ford Focus or
>>the Opel Astra? Isn't it a bit like comparing the 5 series to
>>the Ford Mondeo? It's just not the same thing.
>>

> On a technical basis you can very well compare these cars, especially as
> the 1' series lacks typical BMW characteristics like fine interior
> materials and smooth as silk inline-six engines. In a comparison between
> the VW Golf 2.0 FSI and the BMW 120i the Golf won, and other comparisons
> between Golf and Astra or Focus show, that all these cars are very
> competitive. Of course it is a difference to say "I own a BMW" instead of
> "I drive a Ford Focus", but time will tell wether people are ready to
> spend a small fortune for this. IMHO the price difference between 1'
> series and 3' series is too small - this car simply is too expensive.

In what way did the Golf win? On the other hand, a top of the line
Ford Focus goes for 31,000 EUR here in Holland, compared to a top
of the line 120i for 34,000 EUR. Admittedly, I find 34,000 a lot
for a BMW, but I find 31,000 preposterous for a Ford Focus.

Of course Ford will sell much more Focuses, but those are lesser
models, which, I will be the first to admit, are great value for
money and very sensible and fun cars to own and drive. But that's
besides the point.

Surely, the price difference can't all be purely in the couple
of enamel roundels you get on your hood, trunk and steering wheel?

Old October 7th 04, 03:46 PM
Frank Kemper

Peter Bozz > haute in die Tasten:

> In what way did the Golf win?

More space inside. Better interior materials. Better suspension. Less
fuel consumption. More "elastic" engine (better acceleration from 80 to
120 kph in high gear). Smaller cost of ownership, smaller price. The BMW
only won in terms of handling and driving stability. Besides that it was
slightly faster than the Golf (217 kph vs. 206 kph). Let's see if that is
enough for the people.

Besides this I find the new 1'series quite ugly, but that definitely is a
matter of taste.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series Dennis W Audi 30 December 16th 04 03:50 AM
BMW new 3 series ( E90) preview Anoop Ghanwani BMW 17 October 10th 04 10:06 PM
E34 Bentley manual for sale $40.00 plus shipping - for 1989 - 1995 - 5 Series Big Dave BMW 0 September 29th 04 01:54 AM
E34 Bentley Manual for Sale 1989 - 1995 5 Series - 49.00 plus shipping Big Dave BMW 0 September 25th 04 12:36 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM