New X5 watch the warranty and poor service departments...

Old July 7th 05, 02:04 AM
Gary Rall

Default New X5 watch the warranty and poor service departments...

I bought a new x5 this year and was told that everything was covered except
the tires and gas under the extensive warranty. When I picked it up the
steering wheel was off center about 3 degrees but the car tracked straight
on so I did not worry about it... I did call service and they said just
bring it in when you get it serviced..... Found out later that 1st service
is not for 12k miles.... ok still not worried since I was under warranty!!!.

However, last week the Navi lost date & Time and the Blue Tooth lost its
paring. Took it in to North Scottsdale AZ, BMW to get looked at and the
service tech said that he would not fix the steering wheel off center
because the car had over 2k on it... He then said that there are other
things that are not covered by the 4-year warranty from BMW. He further
went on to say that if he fixed it he would get into trouble from BMW since
it had over 2k on it. He did re-pair the Bluetooth phone but said he did
not know why everything else (i.e. date, time, fuel consumption) reset...

I am not that concerned about loosing the date and time and B/T even though
it required an unscheduled visit, but I sure thought that BMW (with its
Precision Engineering mantra) would take care of the steering wheel
off-center issue. The Service department just said to live with it since it
tracks straight!!! I would have brought it in sooner if I would have known
that I would get this type of treatment on my 1st visit. I have never been
treated like this with my other cars (3 Lexus autos). Also when I called in
I offered to leave it (since I had several appointments during the day) if
they could give me a loaner but they said that I would have to wait while
they looked it over first.... again never had this problem with any Lexus
dealer in the past they always had Lexus loaners... Later I found out that
IF they would have needed to keep it overnight I would have been given a
Hertz rental but not a BMW.

Anyways Now I have a new car with the steering wheel off center and every
time I take others for a ride ( I am a real-estate broker so I take lots of
folks for rides) I point out the poor customer service I have received so
far and give my story of the off center steering wheel. All I can say is
that otherwise the car is great but the service I have received has soured
my on any future BMW purchases.

Gary Rall

Old July 7th 05, 06:15 AM
Ted

"Gary Rall" > wrote in message
>I bought a new x5 this year and was told that everything was covered except
>the tires and gas under the extensive warranty. When I picked it up the
>steering wheel was off center about 3 degrees but the car tracked straight
>on so I did not worry about it... I did call service and they said just
>bring it in when you get it serviced..... Found out later that 1st service
>is not for 12k miles.... ok still not worried since I was under
>warranty!!!.
>
> However, last week the Navi lost date & Time and the Blue Tooth lost its
> paring. Took it in to North Scottsdale AZ, BMW to get looked at and the
> service tech said that he would not fix the steering wheel off center
> because the car had over 2k on it... He then said that there are other
> things that are not covered by the 4-year warranty from BMW. He further
> went on to say that if he fixed it he would get into trouble from BMW
> since it had over 2k on it. He did re-pair the Bluetooth phone but said
> he did not know why everything else (i.e. date, time, fuel consumption)
> reset...
>
> I am not that concerned about loosing the date and time and B/T even
> though it required an unscheduled visit, but I sure thought that BMW (with
> its Precision Engineering mantra) would take care of the steering wheel
> off-center issue. The Service department just said to live with it since
> it tracks straight!!! I would have brought it in sooner if I would have
> known that I would get this type of treatment on my 1st visit. I have
> never been treated like this with my other cars (3 Lexus autos). Also
> when I called in I offered to leave it (since I had several appointments
> during the day) if they could give me a loaner but they said that I would
> have to wait while they looked it over first.... again never had this
> problem with any Lexus dealer in the past they always had Lexus loaners...
> Later I found out that IF they would have needed to keep it overnight I
> would have been given a Hertz rental but not a BMW.
>
> Anyways Now I have a new car with the steering wheel off center and every
> time I take others for a ride ( I am a real-estate broker so I take lots
> of folks for rides) I point out the poor customer service I have received
> so far and give my story of the off center steering wheel. All I can say
> is that otherwise the car is great but the service I have received has
> soured my on any future BMW purchases.
>
> Gary Rall

wow all this while 50,000 Africans die each day.............

Old July 7th 05, 10:20 AM
Class 1

> wow all this while 50,000 Africans die each day.............

Indeed. Just stump up the cash to have your steering wheel aligned FFS
you freaking muppet!

Either this is a troll-thread or the OP's one of those ****tard
small-dick posers that give BMs (and ESPECIALLY X5s) a bad name in the
eyes of other road users.

*and relax*

Old July 7th 05, 02:59 PM
Gary Rall

The point is why should I have to pay to have the car aligned when it does
not need an alignment... (i.e., it tracks straight and tires wear evenly)
it is the cosmetics of the off center steering wheel that is the problem....
and it has been off center from the day I bought it. As I stated I did
not bring it in immeadeatly because I was led to believe that everything was
covered under the warranty. The reason for my post was to let everyone know
that the BMW warranty has other limitations than the published 4 year 50k
(other than tires and gas) warranty.

And I am surprised that after paying 55k for a luxury brand BMW that they
would not just take care of this small (initial quality) issue on my very
FIRST visit to the service department. I also stated that the X5 has been a
great car otherwise... in fact I was thinking of getting a new 740.
However, when one purchases a luxury car one expects a certain level of
treatment.... My reference to great quality service was from my personal
experience of with Lexus cars for the last 10 years. I am not trying to
give BM a bad name as the previous poster implied... I am just trying to
give BM the credit they deserve in dealing with my problem.

Gary

---

Old July 7th 05, 03:56 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article <Lyaze.15986$Qo.6864@fed1read01>,
Gary Rall > wrote:
> The point is why should I have to pay to have the car aligned when it
> does not need an alignment... (i.e., it tracks straight and tires wear
> evenly) it is the cosmetics of the off center steering wheel that is the
> problem.... and it has been off center from the day I bought it.

I'd have had it sorted immediately. The vehicle could have been curbed or
damaged pre-delivery. It almost certainly didn't leave the factory like
that.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 7th 05, 05:06 PM
Don Corleone

Buy a G500 and enjoy a real car.

Old July 8th 05, 09:13 AM
Peter Bozz

>>never been treated like this with my other cars (3 Lexus autos). Also
>>when I called in I offered to leave it (since I had several appointments
>>during the day) if they could give me a loaner but they said that I would
>>have to wait while they looked it over first.... again never had this
>>problem with any Lexus dealer in the past they always had Lexus loaners...
>>Later I found out that IF they would have needed to keep it overnight I
>>would have been given a Hertz rental but not a BMW.
>>
>>Anyways Now I have a new car with the steering wheel off center and every
>>time I take others for a ride ( I am a real-estate broker so I take lots
>>of folks for rides) I point out the poor customer service I have received
>>so far and give my story of the off center steering wheel. All I can say
>>is that otherwise the car is great but the service I have received has
>>soured my on any future BMW purchases.
>>
>>Gary Rall
>>

> wow all this while 50,000 Africans die each day.............

What are *you* doing about it?
Old July 8th 05, 07:44 PM
Ted

"Peter Bozz" > wrote in message
>>>never been treated like this with my other cars (3 Lexus autos). Also
>>>when I called in I offered to leave it (since I had several appointments
>>>during the day) if they could give me a loaner but they said that I would
>>>have to wait while they looked it over first.... again never had this
>>>problem with any Lexus dealer in the past they always had Lexus
>>>loaners... Later I found out that IF they would have needed to keep it
>>>overnight I would have been given a Hertz rental but not a BMW.
>>>
>>>Anyways Now I have a new car with the steering wheel off center and every
>>>time I take others for a ride ( I am a real-estate broker so I take lots
>>>of folks for rides) I point out the poor customer service I have received
>>>so far and give my story of the off center steering wheel. All I can say
>>>is that otherwise the car is great but the service I have received has
>>>soured my on any future BMW purchases.
>>>
>>>Gary Rall
>>>

>> wow all this while 50,000 Africans die each day.............

> What are *you* doing about it?

Praying.............

Old July 8th 05, 07:58 PM
Gary Rall

When I took delivery of my new x5 it was late at night and it was dark...
and I was a little overwhelmed learning about the different features of this
new and I did not even notice the steering wheel offset at the time. When I
got a little more comfortable driving I spotted the off center wheel however
it was a minor annoiance and I believed that they would take care of it on
my first visit since the sales team was very vocal about the great BMW
warranty. I live over 200 miles from the dealer so I was not going to just
drop by. Note if you let go of the wheel the car tracks straight ahead and
it does not pull or anything so the alignment is very good... It is just
that when you go straight the steering wheel is tilted about 4 degrees to
the right. You would not notice it unless you drove it a lot. This issue
has not caused any driving problems... It is just a small annoyance when
driving the car everyday. The reason I posted this issue was that I was
shocked at the response I got from the dealer when I asked them to correct
this very minor issue on my very first visit to the dealership. When I
compare this to my dealings with Lexus it was day and night...

If the dealer acts this way on my very first visit for this very minor issue
how are they going to act in the future if I have another problem?

And, it makes it hard to talk-up this great car to my passengers when
everyday I am reminded of how I was treated for this minor initial quality
defect.

Gary

Old July 11th 05, 06:57 AM
Peter Bozz

Ted wrote:

>>>wow all this while 50,000 Africans die each day.............

>>What are *you* doing about it?

> Praying.............

Fair enough.