trouble changing CV joint ( half shaft) 93 Grand Caravan

Old June 2nd 05, 06:44 AM
The Stewarts

Default trouble changing CV joint ( half shaft) 93 Grand Caravan

I have to change the CV joints on the driver side of my 93 Grand
Caravan. I have the tie rod disconnected. I'm trying to the get ball
joint out so I can pull the hub out away from the splinned shaft, but
I just can't get the ball joint to go down enough to come out.

Do I need to drop the sway bar from both sides of the vehicle? That
might let the ball joint go down farther so I can get it out?

Thanks,

Gary Stewart
Reply to group or email (leave out the x-x)
Old June 2nd 05, 02:17 PM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
The Stewarts > wrote:

> I have to change the CV joints on the driver side of my 93 Grand
> Caravan. I have the tie rod disconnected.

Unnecessary.

> I'm trying to the get ball
> joint out so I can pull the hub out away from the splinned shaft, but
> I just can't get the ball joint to go down enough to come out.
>
> Do I need to drop the sway bar from both sides of the vehicle?

Yes. That bar is over 1 inch thick, it takes a gorilla with a
long pry bar to twist it enough to where the ball joint stud
clears the knuckle, and then you risk breaking the sway bar.

> That
> might let the ball joint go down farther so I can get it out?

Absolutely.
Be careful when you remove the outer sway bar bushing bolts from
the lower control arm, they like to break off if there is any
rust. Soak 'em good and work 'em back and forth.
Good time to replace the sway bar bushings, they get hard and are
a common source of noise.

Old June 2nd 05, 07:31 PM
maxpower

if you are doing the job by yourself , yes it makes it alot easier to loosen
the sway bar so you can pull it down, you dont need to completly take the
bolts out just back em off

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech