stereo loses settings when startup

Old February 1st 05, 02:34 PM
N8N

sdlomi2 wrote:
> Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I set
> stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off.

But!
> When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at

least
> that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
> Ideas, please? Thank you, s

I'm assuming that this must have been converted to 12V at some point in
time? Sounds to me like you need to look at the battery, cables,
wiring etc...

nate

Old February 1st 05, 02:37 PM
N8N

Richard Bell wrote:
> In article > ,
> Bruce Chang > wrote:
> >
> >"sdlomi2" > wrote in message
> >> Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If

I set
> >> stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off.

But!
> >> When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage

threshold"(at least
> >> that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
> >> Ideas, please? Thank you, s
> >>

> >Maybe a small 12V battery or large capacitor that's hooked up with a

diode
> >between it and the car battery so voltage to the stereo won't drop

when the
> >car battery voltage drops significantly.
> >

> You need two diodes. One diode prevents the car from trying to

charge the
> small batteries, and the second to keep the small batteries from

trying to
> help crank the starter. The large capacitor will cause a voltage
> spike, just after the motor starts, so a choke coil will be needed to
> protect the sound unit.
>
> Here, in the Great White North (How's it goin', eh?), we would advise

you that
> your battery is seriously short of cold cranking amperage and that

you
> should buy the biggest battery that will fit in the tray. However,

being
> designed for old-tech batteries, you should accept anything that

covers half
> of your '55 studebaker's battery tray. While cold weather starting

may be
> the least of your worries, a larger battery is the simplest (if not

the
> cheapest) solution to your problem.

Replacing the battery tray with one from a 56-64 Stude (assuming it's a
C-K body, I'm not sure about sedans) will allow a larger battery to
fit.

nate

Old February 1st 05, 03:12 PM
Mike Romain

That usually means a corroded or undersized connection on the ground to
me. If the body doesn't have a good ground tag, then the starter can
draw enough to drop the body power way down.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 1st 05, 03:37 PM
Chas Hurst

"sdlomi2" > wrote in message
> Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I set
> stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off. But!
> When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at least
> that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
> Ideas, please? Thank you, s

IRRC the start position disconnects the acc post to prevent drawing current
the wrong way. The memory should be connected to +12V line, not the ignition
switch or circuit controlled by it.

Chas Hurst

Old February 1st 05, 03:46 PM
sdlomi2

"Chas Hurst" > wrote in message

> "sdlomi2" > wrote in message
> > Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I set
> > stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off. But!
> > When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at

least
> > that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
> > Ideas, please? Thank you, s
> >

> IRRC the start position disconnects the acc post to prevent drawing

current
> the wrong way. The memory should be connected to +12V line, not the

ignition
> switch or circuit controlled by it.
>
> Chas Hurst

We tried fusing a + line straight to the battery post--other thoughts?
Thanks, Charles. s

Old February 1st 05, 04:35 PM
Mike Romain

sdlomi2 wrote:

> "Chas Hurst" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sdlomi2" > wrote in message
> > > Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I set
> > > stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off. But!
> > > When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at

> least
> > > that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
> > > Ideas, please? Thank you, s
> > >

> > IRRC the start position disconnects the acc post to prevent drawing

> current
> > the wrong way. The memory should be connected to +12V line, not the

> ignition
> > switch or circuit controlled by it.
> >
> > Chas Hurst
> >

> We tried fusing a + line straight to the battery post--other thoughts?
> Thanks, Charles. s

I would run a booster cable from the battery negative to the radio case
or the radio ground wire to see if that fixes it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 1st 05, 04:54 PM
Chas Hurst

"sdlomi2" > wrote in message

> "Chas Hurst" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sdlomi2" > wrote in message
> > > Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I

set
> > > stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off.

But!
> > > When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at

> least
> > > that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
> > > Ideas, please? Thank you, s
> > >

> > IRRC the start position disconnects the acc post to prevent drawing

> current
> > the wrong way. The memory should be connected to +12V line, not the

> ignition
> > switch or circuit controlled by it.
> >
> > Chas Hurst
> >

> We tried fusing a + line straight to the battery post--other thoughts?
> Thanks, Charles. s

Connect an ammeter in the +12V line and see which way the current flows when
starting. Check again that the radio is wired properly.

Old February 1st 05, 05:54 PM
sdlomi2

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> sdlomi2 wrote:

set

But!

> > least
> > > >

> > > IRRC the start position disconnects the acc post to prevent drawing

> > current
> > > the wrong way. The memory should be connected to +12V line, not the

> > ignition
> > > switch or circuit controlled by it.
> > >
> > > Chas Hurst
> > >

> > We tried fusing a + line straight to the battery post--other

thoughts?
> > Thanks, Charles. s

> I would run a booster cable from the battery negative to the radio case
> or the radio ground wire to see if that fixes it.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Thx, Mike. We'll do just that this evening. Sounds like the "next"
logical thing to try. s

Old February 2nd 05, 12:49 AM
Nate Nagel

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

> "Steve B." wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:32:41 -0500, "sdlomi2" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>> Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I set
>>>stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off. But!
>>>When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at least
>>>that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
>>> Ideas, please? Thank you, s
>>>

>>Have you checked the retained power line to make sure that it still
>>has power when the starter is engaged? If it doesn't have power even
>>for a couple seconds your radio will loose its settings.
>>
>> Steve B.

> This is what I was thinking. Maintaining memory settings were no that
> big an issue back in '55, so a hard line to the battery might be hard to
> come by.

Not at all, just pick it off the back of the ammeter or the "battery"
post on the ignition switch. Both are ring terminals with nuts.

> Its best to run a dedicated wire from the battery (+), with an in-line
> fuse near the battery to the radio 'battery' input. If the radio is
> supposedly already connected to a hot point, the radio dropping out
> might be a symptom of a dirty, weak or loose connection, or a charging
> system problem.

yes, an inline fuse is a must, as the wire to the ammeter is *not*
fused. Also would be an excellent idea to put some fusible links or
high-amp fuses inline up at the starter solenoid. Nothing sucks worse
than a Stude with a crispy wiring harness... um, or so I've heard. (did
I post about the last car show I went to...?)

nate

PS - sdlomi, if you haven't already, come on over to
alt.autos.studebaker for the more Stude-specific questions you will
undoubtedly have. Also check out my cheezy, suck-ass web site (see
..sig) to get you started towards some better Stude-related sites
(stude.com and the forums at SDC are good, also Bob J's page and... well
there's lots of them, really.)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 2nd 05, 03:18 AM
Fweddybear

>>> Help! Got a '55 Studebaker. Aftermkt. mp3/cd/amfm radio. If I set
>>>stations, it remembers fine going from on to off to access to off. But!
>>>When I start i, the starter seems to drop the "voltage threshold"(at
>>>least
>>>that's what I visualize) such that all memory settings are lost.
>>> Ideas, please? Thank you, s
>>>

>>Have you checked the retained power line to make sure that it still
>>has power when the starter is engaged? If it doesn't have power even
>>for a couple seconds your radio will loose its settings.
>>
>> Steve B.

You may have to connect the player to something that does not draw alot
of power upon startup.... for instance the headlights, or brake lights...

Good Luck..

Fwed