91 civic stalls, decrease in mpg

Old February 1st 05, 03:33 PM

Default 91 civic stalls, decrease in mpg

I have a 91 civic dx. The past few months the car will either stall, or
jerk then lose almost all power. The check engine light comes on when
this happens. It happens only occasionally, but during all types of
driving ( highway, 35 mph, or even just staarting up). If i turn the
car off and turn it back on, it resets and the car is fine for awhile.
The other symptoms are the mileage went down from ~35mpg or better
every tank, to 27-28mpg on the last three tanks. The other thing is
when i got an emmisions test my mechanic said it didnt pass the HC at
first (234 reading w/ 220 limit). He let it warm up for half an hour,
then did it again and it passed.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Could it just be the o2 sensor or
something else simple?

Old February 1st 05, 04:43 PM

motsco_ _ wrote:
> -------------------------
>
> You've probably changed your timing belt at least twice by now, based

on
> age (we don't know your mileage), but have you adjusted your valves?

Do
> you have stinky exhaust once it warms up? Do your records show a new

PCV
> along the way?

Actually it only has 77k on it, so the timing belt is most likely the
original (I bought it with 43k). The exhaust doesnt smell unusually
bad.

As far as time to change the PCV, I think, well hope, that might me
premature. Does anyone know if cleaning it out is easy/practical?

Old February 2nd 05, 04:28 PM
Elle Navorski

"TeGGer®" > wrote
> > As far as time to change the PCV, I think, well hope, that might me
> > premature. Does anyone know if cleaning it out is easy/practical?
> >

> With the car fully warm, squeeze the PCV valve hose shut with a pair of
> pliers. If the idle changes or the valve clicks, the valve is fine.
>
> The idle will change, then smooth out again as the ECU adjusts the air
> mixture. If the idle does not change when the hose is pinched shut, the
> valve is plugged. Either way, a blocked PCV valve is not your problem

here.
> A blocked PCV valve will not cause the sort of decrease in gas mileage

that
> you are experiencing.

An old or blocked PCV valve may very well cause a significant decrease in
gas mileage. But I'm doubtful the PCV valve is behind the stalling.

Even if it's not plugged, the PCV valve's parts wear over time. Change it
with an OEM one. It's not hard to do, like Chopface said. You can do the
test that Tegger describes above; you should also hold it for at least 30
seconds and listen for a "click" sound. If there's no click sound, then the
valve isn't working.

My 1991 Civic was getting poor gas mileage around spring 2003. The PCV
valve had never been replaced. I didn't know enough to do the tests above;
I just replaced it, for around $20 with a dealer one. The old (and
original) one was chock full of waxy buildup. My mileage shot up 10-20%. It
was very noticeable. Other reports on the net document that a
malfunctioning PCV valve most certainly may affect gas mileage. It messes
up the ECU's take on the engine's condition, and the computer sends a
signal that results in rich (=excessive fuel) fuel-air mixtures.

I now clean out my PCV valve every few months or so. It typically has a few
specks of gunk in it. And I do mean little specks--Q-tip pick-able. It
would take a long time for this to build up to anything that would block
it. I remove the valve completely about once a year and spray it with a
little WD-40, too.

> You need to get the Check Engine light code. Pull the carpet back from

the
> passenger footwell until you see the ECU. Turn the ignition to ON (but

not
> to START), and count the sequence of long and/or short blinks from the
> ECU's red LED. Report back here.

Ya, really. Start there. Various online manuals describe this.

If it's the O2 sensor, the good news is that it's very cheap to replace on
the 1991 Civics. I have a 1991 Civic and replaced the O2 sensor last
summer, as a pre-emptive measure and because it was so cheap, around $45
total, using an online site that had OEM sensors.

And replace that timing belt!

Old February 6th 05, 08:10 PM
vtecracing

I would start by replacing the oxygen sensor and performing a tune up.
Before you replace your o2 sensor, I recommend that you get a bottle of
SeaFoam Engine Cleaner. This product can be found at your local Napa
Auto Parts store or Carquest. Start off by removing your air intake
rubber tubing off from the throttle body assembly. Then open up the
bottle of seafoam engine cleaner and pour half of the contents into a
spray bottle. Mix the solution with 50 percent water and 50 percent
seafoam. Be sure to shake it very well. Now, begin by spraying the mist
into the throttle body inlet while manually keeping the engine's rpm
above 2500. You will notice that your exhaust pipe will be emitting
some white smoke. This is perfectly normal because the solution is
cleaning the internals of your engine and decarbonizing all of the
baked on carbon deposits. After you finish the bottle turn the engine
off and let it sit for 15 minutes. Go ahead now and take the car out
for a ride on the freeway and apply heavy throttle to remove all the
excess carbon. Next replace all 4 spark plugs and make sure to gap them
to 0.44 in. Replace your engine oil and filter along with a brand new
o2 sensor. If you perform all these steps correctly, you should notice
a difference immediately. I hope this helps.

For all your Honda and Acura needs, check
out http://www.trackspeedracing.com. We carry a wide selection of
dyno proven racing products. Support and excellence in bringing you the
horsepower is what we're all about.

How much is my honda civic worth?? Boxxer Honda 10 January 30th 05 08:01 PM
Rough Ride In My 2001 Civic LX Coupe! [email protected] Honda 0 January 23rd 05 09:16 AM
93 Civic stalls Apurba Mukherjee Honda 1 December 12th 04 09:29 PM
Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 04:38 PM
Larger gas tank on a '93 Civic vx [email protected] Honda 3 December 7th 04 07:48 AM