Question about Zebra Danio

Old July 16th 05, 12:53 AM
Klane

Default Question about Zebra Danio

After quarantine I put some more Danio's into the tank. 5 now in a 20
gallon tank (1 died in quarantine). There are no other fish yet. For a
bit everything looked well but one of them is now starting to act
strange.

The smallest fish is starting to bury it's head in the gravel over in
the corners. If you tap the glass he'll go swimming but soon he goes
disappearing again. S/he didn't even come up for food today. I've
noticed it swimming near the bottom for a day or so before this.

I don't see anything different with the fins or coloring at all. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Klane

Old July 16th 05, 03:50 AM
NetMax

"Klane" wrote in message
oups.com...
After quarantine I put some more Danio's into the tank. 5 now in a 20
gallon tank (1 died in quarantine). There are no other fish yet. For a
bit everything looked well but one of them is now starting to act
strange.

The smallest fish is starting to bury it's head in the gravel over in
the corners. If you tap the glass he'll go swimming but soon he goes
disappearing again. S/he didn't even come up for food today. I've
noticed it swimming near the bottom for a day or so before this.

I don't see anything different with the fins or coloring at all. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Klane

Yup, a danio which tries to bury its head in the gravel would not be a
good sign. Besides the usual check of the water parameters (pH, gH, NH,
NO2, NO3 & temperature), that type of behaviour is consistent with loss
of motor functions, which is associated with internal contagions (ie:
bacteria) in the brain or brain stem. Sorry if I'm sounding authoritive,
cause I'm not.. I'm just a hobbyist, so ymmv.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old July 16th 05, 04:30 AM
Klane

Should I put him back in quarantine or would the move just add to his
stress?

Thanks,
Klane

Old July 16th 05, 05:46 AM
Billy

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

. Sorry if I'm sounding authoritive, cause I'm not.. I'm just a
hobbyist, so ymmv.
--

Don't listen to him about that last bit. He's widely considered one
of the most knowledgable doods in here. g I haven't gone wrong

billy

Old July 16th 05, 02:16 PM
NetMax

"Klane" wrote in message
oups.com...
Should I put him back in quarantine or would the move just add to his
stress?

Thanks,
Klane

Myself, I would euthanise him, but seek other opinions. I've never seen
or heard of treatments for this behaviour, and unless the cause is water
parameters, I've never seen them recover either. My choice for
euthanizing is Clove oil (available at your drug store as an ointment
which 'freezes' your gums (for toothaches). Google the procedure, it's
easy. Also for small fish such as danios, they are relatively easy to
dispatch by quick mechanical means too (wet napkin or zip lock bag, brick
& concrete floor).
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old July 17th 05, 08:04 AM
Klane

Well, today he seems fine. I'm looking at him swimming around with the
rest, and I'm going WTF because yesterday he was, literally, burying
his head in the gravel.

Parameters are all good.

I'll keep your euthanization notes though just in case I need them in
the (hopefully distant) future.

Klane

Old July 17th 05, 04:06 PM
NetMax

"Klane" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, today he seems fine. I'm looking at him swimming around with the
rest, and I'm going WTF because yesterday he was, literally, burying
his head in the gravel.

Parameters are all good.

I'll keep your euthanization notes though just in case I need them in
the (hopefully distant) future.

Klane

Kewl, just keep an eye on him. If he dies and is ingested by the other
fish, this is a disease transmission method for some bacteria. Then you
see a repeating pattern where another fish starts acting weird in about 2
months.

If the parameters are good, then maybe they weren't and are now?
Mechanical stress (getting head caught in a tight squeeze) can cause
funky behaviour for a little while too.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Pregnant Zebra Danio Papa Red General 3 February 23rd 05 02:03 AM
GloFish Zebra Danio Question Sandi Martin General 60 March 3rd 04 04:37 PM
injured or Sick Zebra Danio Geoff Kemp General 1 February 15th 04 11:42 PM
Schooling Question and a Bully Danio Lady Samsara General 0 October 2nd 03 07:47 AM
Leopard Danio seems to be bullying Zebra Danio Lady Samsara General 2 September 17th 03 09:37 PM