Intermittent starting problem with 1996 Cherokee sport 4.0L [no turnover]

Old November 12th 05, 02:07 PM

Default Intermittent starting problem with 1996 Cherokee sport 4.0L [no turnover]

I have an intermittent issue with my cherokee where it will not crank
over at all. When it does crank over it starts with ease. New battery,
starter engages fine. It's not the TDC sensor becasue that issue
usually allows the engine to crank over but with no spark.

I'll check the ground terminal, but what else could be the culprit? Is
there a sensor that will not allow the engine to turn over in this
regard, perhaps coupled with shifter position ect?

Any tips appreciated

Old November 12th 05, 02:21 PM
Snow

Crank Position Sensor , I have seen this thing cause all kinds of different
problems, from no start, no crank all the way through to killing the engine
while doing 90mph in the fast lane (personal experience here). If you
check the codes you should be able to see it. (again experience has shown me
that this is not always true either).

Snow...

ups.com...

Old November 12th 05, 02:23 PM
One out of many daves

neutral safety switch or clutch pedal switch?
ign switch or alarm?
--
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

ups.com...

Old November 12th 05, 02:43 PM

I tried moving ****er to neutral and toggling in and around Park.
Initially nothing happened but eventually started. I'm not sure if that
was the problem.

Old November 12th 05, 02:43 PM
Mike Romain

There is a neutral safety switch that can get slightly out of
adjustment. It can be adjusted. The test is to move the shifter
slightly or move it to neutral and see if it then starts right up.

If it is a case of hitting the key several times before it will crank,
then I would suspect a main battery cable needs cleaning (don't forget
the cables have two ends...) or the ground from the head to the firewall
is ratty.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 12th 05, 02:45 PM

I can't remember offhand how to read the codes.. I know you turn over
switch x amount of times and watch for light strobes...

can you give me a link on codes and how to position ign switch?

thanks

Old November 12th 05, 02:46 PM

Have a picture of where neutral safety switch is at? On tranny
somewhere?

thanks

Old November 12th 05, 02:48 PM

Is the CPS in an easy location to replace? I'm assuming it is a plug in
harness type module? Online pics and instructions somewhere?

thanks for your help.

Old November 12th 05, 03:08 PM
Snow

Pax side of tranny, the connector is rear right side of engine bay, around
the tranny dip stick. if you have a cheap haynes manual it will show you
the schematic for the switch, you can check for continuity. As for the cps
its a pain the assets to change. I believe for checking codes its key on
key off key on key off key on,

Snow...

oups.com...

Old November 12th 05, 03:18 PM
Billy Ray

Ed's was easy to remove/replace with a 1/4" socket set and a LONG extension
from underneath. His '96 XJ had it on the driver's side, other references
find it on the passenger side.

see pix:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2119338336

Sometimes you can get breaks inside a cable that alternates working
perfectly fine / no juice. Give them all a shake and see if that makes a
difference.

oups.com...