Serpentine Belt -- Part Number?

Old March 5th 05, 05:51 AM
MoRambler

"Jim Warman" wrote:
> Whoops.... my bad... I had thought you were the original
> poster and had
> neglected to include some valuable information. My
> apologies...

Quote:"The old belt on my truck has the part number F77E-8620-PA and
the new belt part number is F77Z-8620-PB. My Ford Technical Service
Publication CD indicates the part number 8620, but does not mention
the F77E/Z or the PA/B. Before I go removing the old belt I want to be
sure I have the correct replacement. "

This is too late to probably help you but...here’s the deal. Ford has
3 part numbers assigned to belts. "8620" designates it as a belt.
The F77E-PA, is considered an engineering number (what they put on the
vehicle). The F77Z-PB number, is the Ford Service P/N that they sell
in the parts department at dealers (you can always tell the service
number because the 4th digit is a "Z"). The JK6-943AA/JK6-942AA are
Ford Motorcraft P/N’s that are sold at many parts stores. Basically,
they’re all the same size.
I work in belt engineering for somebody that makes Ford belts. Hope
this helps.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict104066.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=493711
Old March 6th 05, 05:22 PM
Steven Hilgendorf

MoRambler wrote:
> "Jim Warman" wrote:
> > Whoops.... my bad... I had thought you were the original
> > poster and had
> > neglected to include some valuable information. My
> > apologies...

> Quote:"The old belt on my truck has the part number F77E-8620-PA and
> the new belt part number is F77Z-8620-PB. My Ford Technical Service
> Publication CD indicates the part number 8620, but does not mention
> the F77E/Z or the PA/B. Before I go removing the old belt I want to be
> sure I have the correct replacement. "
>
> This is too late to probably help you but...here’s the deal. Ford has
> 3 part numbers assigned to belts. "8620" designates it as a belt.
> The F77E-PA, is considered an engineering number (what they put on the
> vehicle). The F77Z-PB number, is the Ford Service P/N that they sell
> in the parts department at dealers (you can always tell the service
> number because the 4th digit is a "Z"). The JK6-943AA/JK6-942AA are
> Ford Motorcraft P/N’s that are sold at many parts stores. Basically,
> they’re all the same size.
> I work in belt engineering for somebody that makes Ford belts. Hope
> this helps.

MoRambler, thanks for the information, timely or not. It's interesting
to learn that the 'Z' in the Ford part number indicates it is a
'service' part (replacement??), and not likely a part installed during
the vehicle build. BTW, the replacement belt fit perfectly.

Thanks again,

Steven
Old March 7th 05, 04:03 PM
MoRambler

"Steven Hilgendorf1" wrote:
> MoRambler wrote:
> > "Jim Warman" wrote:

>  > > Whoops.... my bad... I had thought you were the
> original
>  > > poster and had
>  > > neglected to include some valuable information. My
>  > > apologies...
> >
> > Quote:"The old belt on my truck has the part number

> F77E-8620-PA and
> > the new belt part number is F77Z-8620-PB. My Ford Technical

> Service
> > Publication CD indicates the part number 8620, but does not

> mention
> > the F77E/Z or the PA/B. Before I go removing the old belt I

> want to be
> > sure I have the correct replacement. "
> >
> > This is too late to probably help you but...here’s the deal.

> Ford has
> > 3 part numbers assigned to belts. "8620" designates it as a

> belt.
> > The F77E-PA, is considered an engineering number (what they

> put on the
> > vehicle). The F77Z-PB number, is the Ford Service P/N that

> they sell
> > in the parts department at dealers (you can always tell the

> service
> > number because the 4th digit is a "Z"). The

> JK6-943AA/JK6-942AA are
> > Ford Motorcraft P/N’s that are sold at many parts stores.

> Basically,
> > they’re all the same size.
> > I work in belt engineering for somebody that makes Ford

> belts. Hope
> > this helps.
> >

> MoRambler, thanks for the information, timely or not. It's
> interesting
> to learn that the 'Z' in the Ford part number indicates it is
> 'service' part (replacement??), and not likely a part
> installed during
> the vehicle build. BTW, the replacement belt fit perfectly.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Steven

No problem Steven, glad to help. "Typically", the Ford Service part
is exactly the same as the Ford Engineering part as far as dimensions
go. There "could" be a slight difference in materials however. Both
of them would be considered quality parts however.
Our company (Dayco) along with both Gates and Goodyear produce belts
for Ford (and many others). The service lines we all produce are all
made with top quality materials. Ford has changed back and forth the
last several years between us and Goodyear to supply their service
parts.
The only difference in buying a traditional aftermarket belt is that
all of us will usually round to the nearest 1/4 or 1/2" dimension
when applying a replacement belt. Due to the metric dimensions used
today, this makes it a little tougher, because of in-between sizes.
Even so, the belts are quite functional.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict104066.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=495931